Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
jtucker

Default Woodgraining

Does anyone know which parts should be wood grained on a '31 deluxe coupe (45B)? And does anyone know where I can get those parts done?

Thx.
jtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
Dale G.

Default Re: Woodgraining

The most obvious is the dash rail, door mouldings, rear window moulding, and the quarter window mouldings. These are mahogany wood grain. The people I have used is Grainit Technology in Winter Haven, Florida. Excellent work. Also I am going to use a fellow at Honest Charlies in Chattanooga. Google both. There are many other places around the country that others here on the Forum can recommend.
Dale G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale G. View Post
The most obvious is the dash rail, door mouldings, rear window moulding, and the quarter window mouldings. These are mahogany wood grain. The people I have used is Grainit Technology in Winter Haven, Florida. Excellent work. Also I am going to use a fellow at Honest Charlies in Chattanooga. Google both. There are many other places around the country that others here on the Forum can recommend.
What was the cost involved for the entire job ? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

honest charlies is on the barn ck on the v-8 side... i think many have used their services
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Most larger restoration shops have the capability to do it in-house using the photo-etched plate method.

What I have learned that makes the price difference is more about the "Pre" & "Post" work, ...and not necessarily the woodgraining application itself. To start with, how is the artist prepping the window trim? Are they media blasting it or wire brushing it? Are there any dents in any of the metal? Some jobs I have seen by "Pros" leave the dents, waviness, & marks in the metal. Granted this is a small detail to some folks but it does cost money to make proper repairs to correct this. Next, ask what kind of primer they will be using. You can save $$ by allowing the artist to use a spray can single-stage primer over a catalyzed 2k urethane primer. Also ask if they will be using filler (Bondo) or work the dents out with a Hammer & Dolly. Ask if they scuff sand or whether they block the piece.

Again, the actual pattern transfer process takes about the same time no matter who the artist is providing this ain't their first 'rodeo'. I will also tell you that not using a plate-transfer method (hand drawn pattern) is quicker to do however it lacks the crisp detail when compared to the plate.

In closing, ask them what type of clear coat are they using. Again, some use a spray can of lacquer clear. A couple of thin coats are much different in costs vs. a couple of spray 2k urethane coats. Ask the artist if they will be color-sanding and hand-polishing the clear afterward. Where this is most noticed is in the crevices and corners.

Again, it is all in the quality level expected. The better quality jobs take more time, --which translates into more $$. If you find a shop that does it for less, check to make sure you are comparing apples-to-apples between the two artists.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #6
Slotblog

Great post, Brent!
Slotblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:10 PM   #7
JM8

Has anybody tried hydrodipping?
JM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM8 View Post
Has anybody tried hydrodipping?

While I have not, ....remember what I posted above. It is the 'pre' work and the 'post' work that is time consuming (what makes it cost what it does). Hydrodipping is only the application but it is not the time consuming part. I would also venture a guess that because of the newer technology in conjunction with a one-off application, I would not think there would be a cost advantage using that process.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:39 PM   #9
pgerhardt

Here is one option:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOg8B656ARc
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #10
Dale G.

C26, Grainit got me for about $900. and change and that was about 11 years ago. They are high but good. Years ago they bought Benny Estes business and he was the best in the country!
Dale G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:37 AM   #11
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale G. View Post
C26, Grainit got me for about $900. and change and that was about 11 years ago. They are high but good. Years ago they bought Benny Estes business and he was the best in the country!
Thanks Dale !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #12
TinCup

Take a look at these pictures of my coupe new interior project. This included me doing the woodgraining using the Grainit process.

1931 Deluxe Coupe
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #13
Scott Hall

Conrad and Dottie Gerdes
P.O. Box 458
Dillsboro Indiana 47018
812-584-5631 or 812-584-5639
I have not used them personally but I have seen there great work.
They do all kinds of restoration work as well as woodgraining.
Scott Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:12 PM   #14
Charles Coe

TinCup, that looks great!
Charles Coe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:21 AM   #15
Dick Carne

Attached (hopefully) is one of the rear window frames I did for a friend for his 400-A, using the Grain-It Technologies plate on a "Carpathian Elm" base. As Brent suggested, the end finish has a lot to do with the preparation. You might want to consider trying this yourself - the cost of materials would probably run about the same as the cost to pay someone else to grain your pieces, and the personal satisfaction level would probably serve as a point of pride for you down the road. The good thing about this process is that the ink can be put on and taken off again until the "artist" is satisfied with the end result. I've also used actual printer's ink for some of the mahogany grains that I have done, but this will tend to darken the base coat if more than one or two applications is applied. Its best to use a large roller (on big expanses) and exercise plenty of patience, and while there are techniques that you may pick up over time, it is not an impossible task, just very tedious. Good luck if you decide to do your own.

Dick

Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote