Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
M2M

Default What do you make of this car?

What do you guys make of this RHD Model A that's currently for sale?

see:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...a/1672781.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg [email protected] (109.1 KB, 242 views)

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: What do you make of this car?

Well, it sure takes a pretty picture.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #3
M2M

Oh, I forgot to ask. What's the reason why RHD Model As received a different pedal layout? Can it be easily changed to the modern layout LHD cars received?
Old 12-17-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
Hoogah

The advert is silent about the engine - may or may not be significant. Rest of car appears to have been given a good resto - at least that is how it appears from the photos. Pity about the fake bullet holes in the back - doesn't really go with the flavour of the restoration. I guess they're just decals though.
You'll probably get several replies telling you about the two blade fan.
The interior is well presented, except that the side curtain tray in the floor appears to have been done away with during the restoration. (My early '28 phaeton has one and I presume this feature was retained through '29?). Also, the fuel shut off valve appears to be leaking?
With regard to the pedal layout - do you mean the positioning of the accelerator in between clutch and brake pedals? I reckon you'll adapt to that easily after about one drive! Once I jump into my Model A after driving my modern manual car, I don't even think about it.
Price wise, I reckon you could get an equivalent car here in Oz for around the same money, without having the added cost of bring it here, if you're prepared to be patient.

Last edited by Hoogah; 12-17-2014 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Added comment.
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
d.

What sort of top irons are on this car? They look like 30-31 Deluxe roadster irons with the flat strap iron and wood cladding.
Is this something particular to an Australian phaeton perhaps?
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
wrndln

It isn't easy to convert a RHD to a LHD. It is not just the steering column and the clutch and brake pedals. The spark and gas control rods need to be changed as well as a number of other items like the accelerator assembly and gas tank. It is definitely easier, however, to convert a RHD to a LHD as the LHD parts are more available here in the US than doing a LHD to RHD conversion.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #7
M2M

Hoogah, yes I mean the positioning of the accelerator in between clutch and brake pedals. That's a big issue for me because I want to be able to let other people (non-Model A people) drive the car without fear they will crash and kill themselves.

I want RHD but don't want the pedal layout you get with a RHD Model A. So can the RHD Model A pedal layout be changed without converting the car to LHD?
Old 12-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
pooch

There is not much room between brake pedal and kick panel. for a go pedal.

Although there is plenty of width between clutch and brake.

You could bend the brake pedal over to the left a bit and shorten the arm, so it is the same height and move and adapt your go pedal and linkage to the right .

Would be much easier to drive on long trips.

The RHD go pedal gets a bit of a chore on the right foot after a while.

At least you can use left foot or hand throttle for a bit of rest.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #9
mshmodela

Nice but no shocks...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
Tim Armstrong

My 29 phaeton has the curtain box under the front seat.
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:54 PM   #11
Gyrodoc

Needs Black Fenders.
Gyrodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #12
Synchro909

I've converted LHD to RHD and there even more things to be changed than have been mentioned here. The bell housing, pedals (RHD are on a 1" shaft and different shape), clutch linkage, footbrake cross shaft, wiring loom, steering box, the clamp on accelerator mechanism and pedal will have to go and the arms on the front axle. There is also the mechanism that goes behind the engine for the starter (similar to the LHD throttle linkage) and the toe board part of the floor. If it has only one tail light, you'll have to switch that and the wiper and change the rear vision mirror. If you are going to LHD, you will get away with the same inlet manifold but not the other way. I didn't change the fuel tank, just cut off the brackets underneath for choke rod and steering column support. I made a bracket that bolts up under the dash rather like Ford used in 1931 (no model A's came to Oz in 1931) The rod that goes to the carb is a different length so you'll have to change that but if you are going to LHD, that is available. At least if you go LHD, the manifold clamp for the exhaust is easy.
There's probably something I have forgotten but that is the guts of it.
I figure that if millions of people over the years have driven these cars with the proper pedal layout, why can't we?
I'd leave it alone. Either leave the pedal where they are or leave the car where it is. By the time you allow the exchange rate and the cost of landing it here, you'll buy one just as good for many thousands less and you have the advantage of being able to look before you buy.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:13 PM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

I once had a R.H.D, 1939 M.G. Tickford, with a Jaguar XK-120 engine & trans & it was quite easy to learn to drive it safely.
I once flipped a pic of it & told folks, "See my LEFT ear in the pic? well, it's really my RIGHT ear"
I wonder if tricks like this is why NO one ever comes over & rarely call???
Met a man at the re-hab that had a 1"X1" square missing from the middle of his R/H ear??? He & I discovered we knew a lot of the same people! Wonder if his GIRLFRIEND has SQUARE dentures or a square paper punch??
Bill W.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #14
Brother Hesekiel

This car is as far away from "mint" condition as Earth from the nearest galaxy. I do like the leather and the wood floors though . . .

Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:15 PM   #15
Clem Clement

There are a lot of "ain't rights." But it is a very nice looker and if it preforms well and you like it and you have the Coins...

Do you have a contact who can go see the vehicle?
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:17 PM   #16
Purdy Swoft

I've never had much interest in a RHD car, too much stuff to change and a lot of parts to buy. Then, there is the twenty three thousand dollar price. You could buy a pretty good left hand drive phaeton for that .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #17
pooch

And one that doesn't look like shiny primer.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:27 PM   #18
Purdy Swoft

There is a lot of stuff to undo besides the steering and related parts if you want a correct appearing model A
Old 12-17-2014, 11:50 PM   #19
Tudortomnz

The gas pedal in the centre on RHD was fairly common on many makes in that era.
Basically, there was really not enough foot room to place the accel. to the far right.
On Model A's, this was true with the narrow cowls [ but not Briggs or Murray's] but by 1930 [ wider cowl/foot area]the pedal had more room for it. I suspect Ford did not want to pay for the tooling to change the layout until the updated 1932 models.
All RHD A's are like this, so this is all we know & I am well used to it after 46 years.

There are plenty of Phaetons in Aussie, why not look for a Tudor ,Fordor or Coupe ex US & you will pay a cheaper price, have the gas pedal where you want it & the kudos of driving LHD on the ''right'' side of the road!.

Last edited by Tudortomnz; 12-17-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:43 AM   #20
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
There is a lot of stuff to undo besides the steering and related parts if you want a correct appearing model A
Purdy, Two things from your post:
  • The car was most likely made this way so nothing would be "undone".
  • How would a RHD car not be "a correct appearing model A" (not that this car looks correct as it is)?
Up till Henry released the Model T in 1909, ALL American cars were RHD.

Last edited by Synchro909; 12-18-2014 at 05:48 AM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:41 AM   #21
juke joint johnny

Looks a lot like a car that has been restored to Sell rather than be Driven.
Plenty of those about!! no shock absorbers are a good indicater an expensive part left off that are not seen . The money spent on extra chrome on the windshield and fancy windwings. no mention of engine condition.
Where has the car come form South America probably .That might be where it was restored
Authentically speaking many things are wrong with the car . Non Ford color scheme , wrong upholstery , Chrome plate when it should be Nickle.

I would be tempted to find one locally that you can test drive .
People in the UK have changed the pedal arangement so it can be done.

JOhn Cochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #22
dave in australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by juke joint johnny View Post
The money spent on extra chrome on the windshield and fancy windwings.
JOhn Cochran
Even though this one is chrome, nickel windscreen posts and wind wings were standard on the sport phaeton in Australia, as well as the sport roadster. The standard phaeton and roadster had black windscreen posts and no wind wings. The sport models also got more paint options.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #23
1wonton
BANNED

I converted a RHD phaeton to LHD a few years ago and still have the bell-housing, pedals and misc parts; anyone need this stuff? I don't have any use for it.
1wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #24
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by juke joint johnny View Post
People in the UK have changed the pedal arangement so it can be done.
JOhn Cochran
John, If possible it would be great to see photos or know more about this. If it can be done without too much problem I'd much prefer by buy a local RHD Australian car than import a LHD car from the USA.

With the Aussie dollar having now fallen against the USD (1 AUD = 0.81 USD) it's no longer cheaper to buy a car in the USA when you add shipping and import taxes. See:

http://www.justauto.com.au/justcars/...L-A-JCM3515353

http://www.justauto.com.au/justcars/...L-A-JCW3587287

Although, there's a far far greater choice of cars available in the USA including many body styles that were never sold in Australia.

Do any of the Australian forum members know of any club members that have actually changed the pedal arangement? Again, the reason why I want the "modern" pedal arrangement is to be able to let other people (non-Model A people) drive the car without fear they will crash. If I was going to be the only driver I'd never make such a change.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #25
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Purdy, Two things from your post:
  • The car was most likely made this way so nothing would be "undone".
  • How would a RHD car not be "a correct appearing model A" (not that this car looks correct as it is)?
Up till Henry released the Model T in 1909, ALL American cars were RHD.

I was thinking about the colors, upholstery, windshield stantions, running board step plates and stuff like that. I really don't know anything about the Australian model A's. I guess I was thinking about the U.S.A model A's and spoke too Quickly. Sorry, no harm meant. If you like it and feel that it is a good deal, buy it.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #26
juke joint johnny

That 29 Aussie Phaeton you flaged up would work out a great deal cheaper for you and that sounds like a well driven car.

You don't get much change out of $1,000 USD on a complete set of shock absorbers so that is something else to think about with the freight and Import duties.

I had a 29 roadster pickup from New Zealand with no shocks on it , when you went over a bump in the road the truck would leap into the air and land in the other lane!!! Pretty Scary.But it was fine when I put shocks on it.

Don't get me wrong ir's OK to buy a car with no shocks, but be aware of what it will cost to make it roadworthy.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of how the throttle linkage was hooked up I just saw a car at a show a few years back and he had linked up with the gas pedal on the right . The Brake pedal was bent over towards the clutch pedal.
I bet our friend Quickchange would know how to do it .

John Cochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #27
wensum

A pity about the white walls and the non black guards as well as the overdone upholstery, (no pleats originally) lack of floor mats, excessive chrome (should be nickel?) etc.
It's easy to be critical but essentially it looks to be a sound car but not very authentic in its restoration
Price a little low for NZ but shipping and GST would quickly make it expensive
Keith
wensum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #28
Juggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wonton View Post
I converted a RHD phaeton to LHD a few years ago and still have the bell-housing, pedals and misc parts; anyone need this stuff? I don't have any use for it.
Yes I need it

You going to Big 3 swap meet in San Diego in the Spring?
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #29
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post

John, If possible it would be great to see photos or know more about this. If it can be done without too much problem I'd much prefer by buy a local RHD Australian car than import a LHD car from the USA.

With the Aussie dollar having now fallen against the USD (1 AUD = 0.81 USD) it's no longer cheaper to buy a car in the USA when you add shipping and import taxes. See:

http://www.justauto.com.au/justcars/...L-A-JCM3515353

http://www.justauto.com.au/justcars/...L-A-JCW3587287

Although, there's a far far greater choice of cars available in the USA including many body styles that were never sold in Australia.

Do any of the Australian forum members know of any club members that have actually changed the pedal arangement? Again, the reason why I want the "modern" pedal arrangement is to be able to let other people (non-Model A people) drive the car without fear they will crash. If I was going to be the only driver I'd never make such a change.
M2M, I have a friend who brought a LHD Model A in from the US and converted it and I think used the conventional pedal layout. I'll check with him if you like. He is in the outer NE of Melbourne.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #30
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I was thinking about the colors, upholstery, windshield stantions, running board step plates and stuff like that. I really don't know anything about the Australian model A's. I guess I was thinking about the U.S.A model A's and spoke too Quickly. Sorry, no harm meant. If you like it and feel that it is a good deal, buy it.
Purdy, No offense was taken, just curious.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #31
Hotrodfil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggler View Post
Yes I need it

You going to Big 3 swap meet in San Diego in the Spring?
Doh - missed it...
Hotrodfil is offline   Reply With Quote