Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-18-2014, 04:41 AM   #21
juke joint johnny

Default Re: What do you make of this car?

Looks a lot like a car that has been restored to Sell rather than be Driven.
Plenty of those about!! no shock absorbers are a good indicater an expensive part left off that are not seen . The money spent on extra chrome on the windshield and fancy windwings. no mention of engine condition.
Where has the car come form South America probably .That might be where it was restored
Authentically speaking many things are wrong with the car . Non Ford color scheme , wrong upholstery , Chrome plate when it should be Nickle.

I would be tempted to find one locally that you can test drive .
People in the UK have changed the pedal arangement so it can be done.

JOhn Cochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #22
dave in australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by juke joint johnny View Post
The money spent on extra chrome on the windshield and fancy windwings.
JOhn Cochran
Even though this one is chrome, nickel windscreen posts and wind wings were standard on the sport phaeton in Australia, as well as the sport roadster. The standard phaeton and roadster had black windscreen posts and no wind wings. The sport models also got more paint options.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #23
1wonton
BANNED

I converted a RHD phaeton to LHD a few years ago and still have the bell-housing, pedals and misc parts; anyone need this stuff? I don't have any use for it.
1wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #24
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by juke joint johnny View Post
People in the UK have changed the pedal arangement so it can be done.
JOhn Cochran
John, If possible it would be great to see photos or know more about this. If it can be done without too much problem I'd much prefer by buy a local RHD Australian car than import a LHD car from the USA.

With the Aussie dollar having now fallen against the USD (1 AUD = 0.81 USD) it's no longer cheaper to buy a car in the USA when you add shipping and import taxes. See:

http://www.justauto.com.au/justcars/...L-A-JCM3515353

http://www.justauto.com.au/justcars/...L-A-JCW3587287

Although, there's a far far greater choice of cars available in the USA including many body styles that were never sold in Australia.

Do any of the Australian forum members know of any club members that have actually changed the pedal arangement? Again, the reason why I want the "modern" pedal arrangement is to be able to let other people (non-Model A people) drive the car without fear they will crash. If I was going to be the only driver I'd never make such a change.
M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #25
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Purdy, Two things from your post:
  • The car was most likely made this way so nothing would be "undone".
  • How would a RHD car not be "a correct appearing model A" (not that this car looks correct as it is)?
Up till Henry released the Model T in 1909, ALL American cars were RHD.

I was thinking about the colors, upholstery, windshield stantions, running board step plates and stuff like that. I really don't know anything about the Australian model A's. I guess I was thinking about the U.S.A model A's and spoke too Quickly. Sorry, no harm meant. If you like it and feel that it is a good deal, buy it.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #26
juke joint johnny

That 29 Aussie Phaeton you flaged up would work out a great deal cheaper for you and that sounds like a well driven car.

You don't get much change out of $1,000 USD on a complete set of shock absorbers so that is something else to think about with the freight and Import duties.

I had a 29 roadster pickup from New Zealand with no shocks on it , when you went over a bump in the road the truck would leap into the air and land in the other lane!!! Pretty Scary.But it was fine when I put shocks on it.

Don't get me wrong ir's OK to buy a car with no shocks, but be aware of what it will cost to make it roadworthy.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of how the throttle linkage was hooked up I just saw a car at a show a few years back and he had linked up with the gas pedal on the right . The Brake pedal was bent over towards the clutch pedal.
I bet our friend Quickchange would know how to do it .

John Cochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #27
wensum

A pity about the white walls and the non black guards as well as the overdone upholstery, (no pleats originally) lack of floor mats, excessive chrome (should be nickel?) etc.
It's easy to be critical but essentially it looks to be a sound car but not very authentic in its restoration
Price a little low for NZ but shipping and GST would quickly make it expensive
Keith
wensum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #28
Juggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wonton View Post
I converted a RHD phaeton to LHD a few years ago and still have the bell-housing, pedals and misc parts; anyone need this stuff? I don't have any use for it.
Yes I need it

You going to Big 3 swap meet in San Diego in the Spring?
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #29
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post

John, If possible it would be great to see photos or know more about this. If it can be done without too much problem I'd much prefer by buy a local RHD Australian car than import a LHD car from the USA.

With the Aussie dollar having now fallen against the USD (1 AUD = 0.81 USD) it's no longer cheaper to buy a car in the USA when you add shipping and import taxes. See:

http://www.justauto.com.au/justcars/...L-A-JCM3515353

http://www.justauto.com.au/justcars/...L-A-JCW3587287

Although, there's a far far greater choice of cars available in the USA including many body styles that were never sold in Australia.

Do any of the Australian forum members know of any club members that have actually changed the pedal arangement? Again, the reason why I want the "modern" pedal arrangement is to be able to let other people (non-Model A people) drive the car without fear they will crash. If I was going to be the only driver I'd never make such a change.
M2M, I have a friend who brought a LHD Model A in from the US and converted it and I think used the conventional pedal layout. I'll check with him if you like. He is in the outer NE of Melbourne.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #30
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I was thinking about the colors, upholstery, windshield stantions, running board step plates and stuff like that. I really don't know anything about the Australian model A's. I guess I was thinking about the U.S.A model A's and spoke too Quickly. Sorry, no harm meant. If you like it and feel that it is a good deal, buy it.
Purdy, No offense was taken, just curious.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #31
Hotrodfil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggler View Post
Yes I need it

You going to Big 3 swap meet in San Diego in the Spring?
Doh - missed it...
Hotrodfil is offline   Reply With Quote