Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #21
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Filter install

I use the filter like Mitch shows above . I consider this filter a must !!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:12 PM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

I also use and keep a spare pencil filter on hand, just in case I have to work on a car without one already installed. They are cheap insurance.

For motorcycles and small engines I use the brass screen from automatic tranny filters, which I can't easily find, now that I'm not working at the dealership or junk yard. Anyway, all you have to do is cut a square of the fine mesh brass screen, then roll it up just tight enough to fit the gas tank fitting, then fold over the top of the screen.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:37 PM   #23
Purdy Swoft

Back in the day before the stand up filters were offered. an older guy showed me how to insert a short piece of tubing in the cutoff valve to keep the loose rust and varnish in the bottom of the tank from entering the cut off valve . . Magnets placed on the bottom of the tank near the cut off valve will attract loose rust and may help . We haven't mentioned cow magnets for a while . Smiley face .
Old 12-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #24
Gooseloony

Just finished installing the pencil filter, will be putting in the sediment bowl filter in after returning to the auto store, cleaning the carb again and trying to fire this thing up. Note: before installing filter in tank I drained the gas into a container with shirt material over it--never saw any sediment on top of shirt, seems a little strange because it was in the sediment bowl before I began.
Gooseloony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:52 PM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

You need to rock the car side to side as it quickly drains from the tank. This will stir up the fine stuff and help it drain out.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #26
Gooseloony

Oh I did some shakin
Old 12-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #27
Purdy Swoft

Usually the rust doesn't come out untill the last little bit of gas drains. The in line filters used in modern cars are suppose to be used with a fuel pump and are too restrictive for gravity flow . You can actually have too many filters in some cases with gravity flow systems like the model A. There also have been micro filters offered by some for model A's. The micro filters are so fine that small particles that really wouldn't cause any problems will stop them up completely. I would avoid any micro filter on my model A, I had nothing but problems. There are many choices, some will always disagree. I just say live and learn .
Old 12-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #28
Gooseloony

Update: so after draining the fuel tank, taking the carburetor apart and cleaning, installing a pencil filter inside tank, putting filter in sediment bowl and replacing bowl to carb fuel line, I fired it up HOORAY (knock on wood). Drove 12 mile round trip to DMV to finish registration, all without a hitch! I'd never driven the thing further than around the block. And I did all of this myself (as you all already figured out I am no mechanic---so I surprised myself). Thank you are your input and suggestions--but don't go away yet...there's more to come!
Old 12-16-2014, 09:38 PM   #29
Mitch//pa
BANNED

thanks for the update glad it all worked out nice
you did a fine job
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #30
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseloony View Post
Update: so after draining the fuel tank, taking the carburetor apart and cleaning, installing a pencil filter inside tank, putting filter in sediment bowl and replacing bowl to carb fuel line, I fired it up HOORAY (knock on wood). Drove 12 mile round trip to DMV to finish registration, all without a hitch! I'd never driven the thing further than around the block. And I did all of this myself (as you all already figured out I am no mechanic---so I surprised myself). Thank you are your input and suggestions--but don't go away yet...there's more to come!
Thanks for the update ! A lot of problems are stated with efforts to help given from afar, and no feedback. When guys give feedback , positive or negative, it helps.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:02 AM   #31
johnbuckley

Do they not filter fuel before delivery in the States? It sounds like you guys have persistant problem with crud in tanks.
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:12 AM   #32
bikejunk

it really isnt the fuel its the 84 year old tanks ,and the new gas that has 10% alcohol that causes all new problems by dissolving crud .
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #33
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbuckley View Post
Do they not filter fuel before delivery in the States? It sounds like you guys have persistant problem with crud in tanks.
In the 60's when I worked at the Standard station all pump hoses had a final filter right at the handle. About every couple weeks we had to change the filter because the fuel flow started to slow from junk in the filter.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #34
johnbuckley

Ah, yes. I'd forgotten about your Ethanol 10%. Some but not all of our fuels here have 5% ethanol; some have none and some have 10% . So to some extent we can pick and choose.
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #35
George Miller

Another thing that makes sludge is running a car to cold. Growing up in mich, we use to see a lot of that type of sludge. They use to run cars 160 in the summer and maybe 180 or maybe 160 in the winter. That along with short trips and non detergent oil. will make lots of sludge. I have seen Ford Y blocks through push rods from so much sludge.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #36
diomed

My daily driver is a 2005 Kia. It only has a sock filter on the pump inside the tank. No real filter anywhere else. Apparently this is common in newer cars. The fuel is filtered as it comes out of the gas station pumps, so I guess they figure another filter on the car is redundant . I've never had any fuel issues, so it must be 85 year old fuel tanks and not the gas station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbuckley View Post