Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
Terry, NJ

Default Exciting day!

I took the coupe out to go to a friend's and while the engine ran very well, the steering was loose and the brakes went further down to the floor than ever before! Both problems required immediate attention. When I got home I jacked it up and began investigating.
First the steering! This my fault, I bought a new Pitman arm (short) and I used a 3/8 clamping bolt. This is a no no! The correct bolt is a 7/16-14 Grade 8 (14 or 20 TPI ?) Guess what! almost no play in the steering wheel when properly tightened. The 3/8 grade 5 bolt was distorting in some way (it took months) to loosen itself. But it did loosen. I had to file a step in the head to fit the locking step, of the new bolt.
That done, I went after the brake problems. I have an hydraulic system (Not installed by me) and I replaced the master cyl. (single) with a dual cyl. It's a good thing I did! The fitting on the rear worked it's way loose (?) a leaked out all the fluid in the rear circuit. The worst part is that it's odd tee ( 2 female and 1 male. 1 fem. 1/8 npt and one male 1/8 npt, 1 fem. 3/8 - 24) and three visits to local AP stores good not produce any replacements.
I'm posting this to give a little info. on the "Other side" of the hyd. vs Mech. brake question. I haven't driven a car with mechanicals yet, but from all reports, they are just as good as a Hyd. system.
I have a suspicion that my problems are from misidentifying the threads in the MC as 1/8 npt and they might be 3/8 - 24 nf. I will find out today.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Exciting day!

For those contemplating putting a Hyd. Brake system in their cars, be sure of the thread size. I goofed! I thought the the threads were 1/8-27 NPT and it turned out to be 3/8-24. You can mesh a 27 pitch into a 24 pitch, especially if there's a slight difference in the Diameter. What made it more exciting was the hills around here. I first found out I had a problem at the bottom of one of those hills with the pedal 1/2" off the floor and it was still moving. All the while , the steering felt looser than I remember it. Kinda unnerving!
Terry
Old 12-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #3
Purdy Swoft

Terry, I'm glad that the steering is working out good !!! I know it was giving you a hard time for a while with the worm gear installatron.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
Terry, NJ

You bet it was! Until I did something Ididn't want to do, File the shaft! I hate removing stock from precision parts. It can really get you into trouble. But it turned out well. The box is tight! It was the Pitman arm that was loose.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Terry, I'm glad that the steering is working out good !!! I know it was giving you a hard time for a while with the worm gear installatron.