Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-07-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
ivoryjohn

Default Dead speedo, steering box timing gear results

This afternoon I quit fiddling around and put the last of my tinkering projects back together. My Fordor has been on blocks for a month and a half while I had the radiator neck re-soldered, replaced the timing gear, had the steering adjusted and a new shaft and worn installed, pulled the steering arms to check the balls, put on a shortened pitman arm, changed the oil, lubed it and pulled the alternator to trace the voltage draw killing the battery if it sits long. Thank you to those who tolerated my drama over each and every project.

Along the way I also added a rear trunk rack, trunk and custom cover. Basically I hope I have run out of things to spend money on for a while. Now I have to figure out a cure to the trunk droop extended out passed the spare tire. A kid with a full load in the diaper comes to mind when I see a Model A with a droopy trunk!

The steering was scary! I have been horsing this car around herding it in the general direction of down the road for so long I didn't know what a Model A was supposed to feel like when the steering was right. No shimmy, easy steering in a straight line...wow, who knew!

The spark and gas rod rattle I reported yesterday just didn't bother me. I listened for it but there were enough other things going on I just did't worry about it.

The engine still backfires when you let off the gas after a bit of a run and it misses a bit but I suspect that I will figure these things out over the next few days.

I pushed a bit to see if it was going to over heat and closed 50 mph a couple of times and she stayed cool enough as to not vomit anti-freeze. Obviously the last time I ran it up the speedometer stuck on 47 mph. I suspect it is the speedo and not the cable. Who does a reasonably price repair on oval '29 speedometers?

To sum it up, I had a hell of a good day and give thanks to the Barn![/B]
ivoryjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:14 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Dead speedo, steering box timing gear results

What was causing the alternator to drain the battery?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:34 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Dead speedo, steering box timing gear results

I think I know the answer to the alternator drain, so no answer is needed. LOL
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote