Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #81
drpepper1885

Default Re: Vendor Disappointment

I have had positive experiences with Bert's in Denver and also Mike's in Georgia. I believe that all the parts suppliers are trying their best to provide good service and products. When I recently had a problem with a used Model A part, the vendor went out of his way to fix the problem. Hobbyists and the parts houses need each other to continue this wonderful hobby of ours. Thanks.

Mike
Old 06-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #82
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Bill said it all,... A lot of this thread is about venders defending venders!

Most of the venders are hard working honest people, A few are still learning.
It's about accountability, Not excuse's .
If you're walking thru a swap meet and bump into a vendor, and crease his pants, does that become a 'vendor-bender'
Old 06-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #83
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
If you're walking thru a swap meet and bump into a vendor, and crease his pants, does that become a 'vendor-bender'
If you bump into the vendor's fendor & crease it,you better have INSURANCE or the vendor will have your HIDE! Bill W.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #84
Tom H.

Double D Mods said; "If we as Americans we not so damn lazy and didnt expect 50.00 an hour to push a button at a factory and then bitch that they are working to much then maybe all parts would actually say made in USA"

Lazy Americans expecting $50.00 /hr to punch buttons???? I don't know about you, but lots of Americans work HARD to support a family and put food on the table, and for a lot less than that. Your comment is an insult to hard working Americans.

Tom H

Last edited by Tom H.; 06-23-2012 at 06:46 AM. Reason: more info
Old 06-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #85
old1928fordguy

I believe if we keep lynching vendors on ford barn who make an honest mistakes we may find ouselves carving out our Model A parts with a pocket knife because all the vendors will just throw in the towel and say the abuse is not worth the trouble.Why didn't the person posting here just go to the vendor with the problem not hang him out to dry here? I bet he would find the vendor more than happy to make things right.I also bet the guy lynching the vendor has made at least as many honest mistakes in his life.A small business can be hurt beyond repair with this trash talk when the guy is probably more than willing to work directly with his customer.Its time to give our vendors the atta boys they deserve here on Fordbarn.You guys are all driving your cars because vendors try hard every day.Buy a 1929 Pontiac and see how many vendors are NOT out there willing to help you. The Model A people are a very lucky bunch.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #86
J Franklin

Try finding a vendor for Huffman truck parts. Have you even heard of one?

Last edited by J Franklin; 06-23-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #87
theHIGHLANDER

Blah, blah, fuckin blah-blah-blah. All of this over a part that coulda been fixed instead of replaced, probably hasn't been USA made in years, and of course the public water supply has "finger-pointer disease" installed purposely.

Gentlemen, listen to yourselves. I'll go out on a limb and guess most here reading this right now are over 50, some well over. I'm over 50 and have had my hands dirty, burned, scarred, broken, sometimes stained for weeks at a time. That's been said to let you know one of my buisness mottos: "Someboby's got to do the WORK".

Made in USA is so fashionable these days, isn't it? Yet back in the 70 and 80s many of you here rushed to the suppliers for Japan/Taiwan/China parts when they started hittin the market hard. Hell, some of the old import parts are a bit more desirable now and don't last long on the swap tables. I guess my ire is because I fail to see where there was "damage". Other than rebuilts, where can you find a new manufactured wheel cylinder that was made in the USA? I haven't seen one for a long time. If being G E N U I N E is that important to ya, hone it out or buy some sleeves. Bolting in is easier, faster, more money, and less mess. Then again, I'm worried about my car growing a right hand drive when it gets too many imported parts installed. Then what would I do?!?

Lighten up "kids". Be realistic instead of "fashionable", and don't forget to save your energy for the fights that really count. Imported cylinders isn't one of em...
Old 06-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #88
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHIGHLANDER View Post
Blah, blah, fuckin blah-blah-blah. All of this over a part that coulda been fixed instead of replaced, probably hasn't been USA made in years, and of course the public water supply has "finger-pointer disease" installed purposely.

Gentlemen, listen to yourselves. I'll go out on a limb and guess most here reading this right now are over 50, some well over. I'm over 50 and have had my hands dirty, burned, scarred, broken, sometimes stained for weeks at a time. That's been said to let you know one of my buisness mottos: "Someboby's got to do the WORK".

Made in USA is so fashionable these days, isn't it? Yet back in the 70 and 80s many of you here rushed to the suppliers for Japan/Taiwan/China parts when they started hittin the market hard. Hell, some of the old import parts are a bit more desirable now and don't last long on the swap tables. I guess my ire is because I fail to see where there was "damage". Other than rebuilts, where can you find a new manufactured wheel cylinder that was made in the USA? I haven't seen one for a long time. If being G E N U I N E is that important to ya, hone it out or buy some sleeves. Bolting in is easier, faster, more money, and less mess. Then again, I'm worried about my car growing a right hand drive when it gets too many imported parts installed. Then what would I do?!?

Lighten up "kids". Be realistic instead of "fashionable", and don't forget to save your energy for the fights that really count. Imported cylinders isn't one of em...
If you were in the best Steak House in Kansas & orderd a 16 oz Prime cut Porter House Steak & they brought you a plate of Shushi, would you eat it ??..
Old 06-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #89
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by old1928fordguy View Post
I believe if we keep lynching vendors on ford barn who make an honest mistakes we may find ouselves carving out our Model A parts with a pocket knife because all the vendors will just throw in the towel and say the abuse is not worth the trouble.Why didn't the person posting here just go to the vendor with the problem not hang him out to dry here? I bet he would find the vendor more than happy to make things right.I also bet the guy lynching the vendor has made at least as many honest mistakes in his life.A small business can be hurt beyond repair with this trash talk when the guy is probably more than willing to work directly with his customer. Its time to give our vendors the atta boys they deserve here on Fordbarn. You guys are all driving your cars because vendors try hard every day. Buy a 1929 Pontiac and see how many vendors are NOT out there willing to help you. The Model A people are a very lucky bunch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Try finding a vendor for Huffman truck parts. Have you even heard of one?

I think what you two are saying is very, very true, ...and I am glad someone else has the "testicles" to take a stand for these vendors. Since we are becoming 'brutal' here and some feel compelled to chastize others, I will jump back in and offer this little perspective.

My personal opinion to why this is thread is even happening is because more and more folks who call themselves "Restorers" are not really 'restorers' any longer --but are more along the lines of parts changers now. Self-proclaimed "Restorers" today would rather buy something where they can open up the package and bolt it right on without any issues or inconvenience.

I know this sounds full of criticizm however it is not meant to be anything more than an eye-opener however for a moment let's just use the first post in this thread as an example for discussion. We say we want Made in the USA but in reality we ARE too lazy to make/restore it ourselves here in the USA! Stop for a moment as think about 'why' something such as a wheel cylinder had to be outsourced to a foreign country! Think about this!!! A company in the U.S. was already set-up & had perfected the process here on our own soil yet because of some reasoning, the process failed here and the only place suitable to have them manufactured was off-shore? Evidently there is a problem somewhere!!!

Also, at some point we should all ask ourselves just how hard is it to remove a leaky wheel cylinder, disassemble, clean it, and rebuild it ourselves? Evidently the perception is that it IS somewhat hard or vendors would not be selling complete units and instead would be selling the kits with new springs & rubber cups! Heck, we don't need to use wheel cylinders as an example, ...you pick a different item and ask yourself did you restore it or replace it. Then ask yourself 'why'!

If you'all want to bitch at me and others about defending other vendors, I suggest you 'man-up' and prove to me (-and others) that you first have the ability to do the job or offer a better service before you hide behind a computer screen faulting others for their mistakes! Maybe after you have walked in someone else's shoes for a bit, the root of the problem becomes a little more clear.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Old 06-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #90
Tom Wesenberg

Brent is right!

Now I have to go buy a MADE in CHINA cylinder hone to repair my MADE in U.S.A. wheel cylinder. Man........ya just can't win! LOL

Sure glad I have the CORRECT brakes!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #91
theHIGHLANDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
If you were in the best Steak House in Kansas & orderd a 16 oz Prime cut Porter House Steak & they brought you a plate of Shushi, would you eat it ??..
Hardly an accurate analogy. He ordered and rec'd an early Ford wheel cyl. Does it fit? Leak? Look good? Look bad? Can you see it once installed? Will he lose his brakes and crash in a giant ball of fire?

Let's settle it now.

All restorers are fuckin criminals as we dare to make a living on your "hobby"

All imported parts are by design to rip off the hobbyist even more, and restorers have the suppliers in place like "capos" in our "family"

All suppliers keep the good stuff to themselves, and all the "Made in USA" parts are in a secret warehouse available only to us "made guys" in the industry.

All paint and body guys are drunks, druggies and theives out to fuck you over in a whirlwind of noxious solvents and mountains of bondo.

That's all for now. Feel better now that I've outted this clandestine criminal empire? I hope so, because all the logic and reality being shared on this topic has done NOTHING to rationalize the facts. Thomson's ought be outted in the mainstream media. Maybe the political clowns can use him as example of the crimes they'll put a stop to. Oh, the humanities...
Old 06-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #92
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHIGHLANDER View Post
Hardly an accurate analogy. He ordered and rec'd an early Ford wheel cyl. Does it fit? Leak? Look good? Look bad? Can you see it once installed? Will he lose his brakes and crash in a giant ball of fire?

Let's settle it now.

All restorers are fuckin criminals as we dare to make a living on your "hobby"

All imported parts are by design to rip off the hobbyist even more, and restorers have the suppliers in place like "capos" in our "family"

All suppliers keep the good stuff to themselves, and all the "Made in USA" parts are in a secret warehouse available only to us "made guys" in the industry.

All paint and body guys are drunks, druggies and theives out to fuck you over in a whirlwind of noxious solvents and mountains of bondo.

That's all for now. Feel better now that I've outted this clandestine criminal empire? I hope so, because all the logic and reality being shared on this topic has done NOTHING to rationalize the facts. Thomson's ought be outted in the mainstream media. Maybe the political clowns can use him as example of the crimes they'll put a stop to. Oh, the humanities...
You NEED to see a DOCTOR, & QUICK !!!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #93
Jeff/Illinois

[QUOTE=BRENT in 10-uh-C;448312].

Also, at some point we should all ask ourselves just how hard is it to remove a leaky wheel cylinder, disassemble, clean it, and rebuild it ourselves? Evidently the perception is that it IS somewhat hard or vendors would not be selling complete units and instead would be selling the kits with new springs & rubber cups!

When I worked in the local Ford garage back in the mid-70's as a Parts Manager, we stocked all of the various 'wheel cylinder rebuilding kits' for Ford cars back into the late 50's. There really weren't that many different kits. We had VERY few complete new W.C. assy's on the parts shelves BECAUSE the mechanics rebuilt the customer's cylinders and very seldom EVER replaced a wheel cylinder. It wasn't that big of a deal to refurbish the old one.

Sounds like this is a lost art
Old 06-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #94
Tinker

If I need to replace something on my vehicle I try to get an original or fix what I have. If I can't get one in a timely manor or fix it. I buy a repro, where ever it's made (mindful of at least some quality, especially on suspension parts). Hey, I want to get on the road. If later, I find a good 75yr old part, I will replace the repro if apt. Sure glad I don't have to wait to find that one part that is hard to find to have fun with my cars. Nothing good about a car just sitting there.

It could be said, by arguing the venders position it keeps the question upfront. More time to be viewed by more people. Maybe unfortunate for one vender. But I really doubt anyone will have to close their doors because of one part or situation. Multiple ones or an extended period of time would be more damaging... maybe. A mistake or whatever. But as a business owner I know that you have to be true to what you say, deliver quality, and fix what is needed.

It looks like the issue has been resolved already on the website. That speaks volumes to me.

Last edited by Tinker; 06-23-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #95
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post

I think what you two are saying is very, very true, ...and I am glad someone else has the "testicles" to take a stand for these vendors. Since we are becoming 'brutal' here and some feel compelled to chastize others, I will jump back in and offer this little perspective.

My personal opinion to why this is thread is even happening is because more and more folks who call themselves "Restorers" are not really 'restorers' any longer --but are more along the lines of parts changers now. Self-proclaimed "Restorers" today would rather buy something where they can open up the package and bolt it right on without any issues or inconvenience.

I know this sounds full of criticizm however it is not meant to be anything more than an eye-opener however for a moment let's just use the first post in this thread as an example for discussion. We say we want Made in the USA but in reality we ARE too lazy to make/restore it ourselves here in the USA! Stop for a moment as think about 'why' something such as a wheel cylinder had to be outsourced to a foreign country! Think about this!!! A company in the U.S. was already set-up & had perfected the process here on our own soil yet because of some reasoning, the process failed here and the only place suitable to have them manufactured was off-shore? Evidently there is a problem somewhere!!!

Also, at some point we should all ask ourselves just how hard is it to remove a leaky wheel cylinder, disassemble, clean it, and rebuild it ourselves? Evidently the perception is that it IS somewhat hard or vendors would not be selling complete units and instead would be selling the kits with new springs & rubber cups! Heck, we don't need to use wheel cylinders as an example, ...you pick a different item and ask yourself did you restore it or replace it. Then ask yourself 'why'!

If you'all want to bitch at me and others about defending other vendors, I suggest you 'man-up' and prove to me (-and others) that you first have the ability to do the job or offer a better service before you hide behind a computer screen faulting others for their mistakes! Maybe after you have walked in someone else's shoes for a bit, the root of the problem becomes a little more clear.
Brent, About hiding behind a computer screen, you seem to be pretty good at it. You also seem to think you are the only one who has ever ran a business or restored a car. It would be interesting to know how you became such an authority on running a business.
I 'm pretty sure there are others on this site that have ran a successful business and can restore a car.
Now, As I understand it This forum is for everybody to express their opinions/experiences and help each other and if we get out of line Ryan will correct us.
So if the first poster thought he got mislead on the wheel cylinder he was within his right to say so. When you jumped in to defend the vendor look what happened! Bill
Old 06-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #96
BILL WILLIAMSON

I've been accused of using anger at times. Sometimes "anger' is useful to help get across a point!! Bill W.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #97
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Got my T shirt.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #98
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Got my T shirt.
'Ya,,,,,,,,,,,,,,at least someone on here has some good news. Thanks, Mike.
And bogiediver, if it means anything, i am with you on this. I don't think you pounded the guy that bad. He should have corrected his web site before listing that part. Although now it sounds as if he did. So that tells me he is a very understanding seller. I have also bought from him before with no problems. I would like to think that you could resolve this with him. A seller should list the full details on a item he is selling. That way the buyer has a choice to buy or not to buy. Simple. Just my 2 cents.+
Old 06-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #99
Mikeinnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Thank you!!

2nd off, ....why are we even discussing THIS here? It definitely is Hot Rod related (as evidenced by the product and the title on the webpage) ...which I though was not supposed to be discussed here. I guess in re-thinking this, maybe we should all boycott this fellar and spread all kinds of propaganda on him. It seems lots of folks like to participate in a 'lynching' ...unless it is their own!

The product in question is being used on a Model A Ford by it's owner.

Consider it an "improved" part as there are dozens of other "improved" parts being used by Model A owners and discussed on this forum, Nu-Rex stuff , leak less water pumps, performance heads,cams,etc. So he is in the right place for acceptable discussion.

As far as his problem, he is victim to fraudulent advertising. The old bait and switch.....very common in small business's.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #100
Ryan
Administrator

Far enough. Drama and name calling is for little girls.
Closed Thread