Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2015, 07:44 AM   #1
billybronco1

Default LED tail lights

I was wondering your opinion on 6 volt LED tail / directional lights. I'm always nervous I'm going to be hit from the rear when turning. Also my front directionals are in the cowl lights and was thinking of putting and amber bulb in there if they are available.
billybronco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:52 AM   #2
Lona

Default Re: LED tail lights

I put 6V LED tail lights in my roadster and was amazed at how bright they are. They are available from any of the Model A suppliers and look exactly like the original lenses. You will likely have to put resistors in the lines to make the flasher operate properly.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #3
JohnLaVoy

We wrote up the LED tail lights some years ago. They are great in either 6 or 12 volt. Much safer. I like the tail light that is all red and all works as the brake or tail light, the brake light just making the whole thing brighter. Gives you a little more area of light to the rear.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:27 AM   #4
mleder

Don't wait, install them. A modern driver on the road would most likely look for your front turn signal light at your bumper. Not saying cowl light isn't bad but you might have a faster reaction from the bumper location from most drivers
mleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:32 AM   #5
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Billy,

Also, the horizontal LED rear window brake light is an "eye level", eye opening safety device when Model A brakes are applied.

Much added safety, especially on rare occasions such as driving on a foggy and/or a misty night .................................................. .. or even with something we "rarely" see .................................... some young driver not paying attention while texting a message on his cell phone.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:57 AM   #6
Jim Brierley

I don't run LED's but have replaced the A lights with those from a 1936, they are the same diameter but have a single lens, thus giving a bigger light for others to see. Not good for Model A judging but very important on a driver.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
Patrick L.

There has been much written about this subject here, so its probably in search or archives.
That said, I've installed them. Didn't want to, but, after being rear-ended I decided it was time.
They work well and are much brighter, but, resistance needs to be added to fire the thermal flasher. I just added 10W front turn bulbs [cowl] which works nicely as they are also much brighter.
Much has been said about electronic flashers, but, I've tried 3 different spec ones and could not get them to work.
Some have added resistors with the bulbs, but, I didn't as the higher wattage bulbs are all thats needed.

Last edited by Patrick L.; 08-31-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:12 AM   #8
billybronco1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lona View Post
I put 6V LED tail lights in my roadster and was amazed at how bright they are. They are available from any of the Model A suppliers and look exactly like the original lenses. You will likely have to put resistors in the lines to make the flasher operate properly.

Glen
I would need to know more about this resistor issue before I buy them, can someone explain what exactly needs to be done - thanks
billybronco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:21 AM   #9
BillLee/Chandler, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybronco1 View Post
I would need to know more about this resistor issue before I buy them, can someone explain what exactly needs to be done - thanks
What Patrick L. said:

"... I just added 10W front turn bulbs [cowl]..."
Old 08-22-2015, 11:25 AM   #10
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLaVoy View Post
We wrote up the LED tail lights some years ago. They are great in either 6 or 12 volt. Much safer. I like the tail light that is all red and all works as the brake or tail light, the brake light just making the whole thing brighter. Gives you a little more area of light to the rear.
I have LED tail lights just like John described. I also have a 3rd brake light. I've been told that the rear is lit up like a Christmas tree. I also have had no problems with the flasher, and have no resistors in the system.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:56 PM   #11
Franchise_24

I put it on my '28 Leatherback. I thought it was a good idea especially since I only have the one tail light. They are bright and do the trick.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:34 PM   #12
Synchro909

I regard my 3rd brake light as a life saver. It is mounted in the middle of the luggage rack and I get plenty of coments fro other drivers about how bright it is. Obviously, it works! There is only the occasional complaint from the following driver having black spots in front of his eyes for a week later.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:57 PM   #13
Brooks

Get you a led flasher from superbrightleds.com they will work your LED lights.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:00 PM   #14
2manycars

I have lights under the body that are noticable when lit, and also the LED in the rear window that is both a stop lamp and turn signals. The original drum taillight is mostly for decoration.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:16 PM   #15
jrelliott

LED lights are very much brighter than incandescent bulbs and take a lot less current to make them work. Like the idea of having things as bright as possible for other drivers to see. IMO the turn signal lights in the parking lamps are in a place that most drivers are not looking for, so the ones on the bumpers is better. Also the ones in the headlight are over powered by the headlight. The third brake light is also an extra measure to warn the driver in the rear that something is happening as a lot of drivers do not pay attention. The resistor that folks talk about are usually installed on the circuit boards of the LED lights. The resistors are required to make the old style flashers work as they require a certain amount of current to make the bi-metallic strip heat up and open to make the lights go on and off and the LEDS do not draw enough current to make this happen.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:07 PM   #16
BillLee/Chandler, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrelliott View Post
... Also the ones in the headlight are over powered by the headlight....
Almost ALL of my driving is done in daylight, probably close to 99%. Headlights don't overpower anything when they are not turned on.

Biggest need to be seen is for the folks following. I am watching the one coming the other direction.

Most moderns have the turn signals right beside the headlights. Are they "over powered"?
Old 08-23-2015, 12:22 AM   #17
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybronco1 View Post
Just buy a solid state flasher like those used on small motorcycles and scooters. Forget the resistors, extra bulbs and the like.

Search the net for 6v solid state flasher and pick the configuration you need. EF-32 for a 2 terminal flasher, or EF-33 for a 3 terminal for 12 volt but Tom Wesenberg says they will also work with 6 volts..

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 08-23-2015 at 12:36 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:00 AM   #18
Tom Wesenberg

I found 6 volts to be the very bottom limit for my EF-32, so if your engine is idling and the headlamps are putting the ammeter in the negative area and the voltage reaching the flasher falls below 6 volts, they may stop flashing until the engine is revved up a little. I've only bench tested them so far, but they do work fine for me.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:20 AM   #19
2manycars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillLee/Chandler, TX View Post

Most moderns have the turn signals right beside the headlights. Are they "over powered"?
Yes, when the headlamps are on with many modern cars, it is difficult to see the turn signal until they are quite close. I have noticed this for a few years now. This is mostly a problem when the lights are on in the daytime.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:21 AM   #20
BigErn

I just put 6V LED's on mine, they work great, fit perfect and did not require a resistor with a regular flasher BUT I have my "normal bulb" turn signal lights wired into the brakes as well. I am pretty sure they provide the additional load needed.
BigErn is offline   Reply With Quote