Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2015, 08:34 PM   #1
Slotblog

Default Ford-themed presentation sought

I was put in contact late last week with a fifth-grade teacher who features a unit on Henry Ford in her classroom curriculum at a local church-affiliated school. Don't have a lot of info about how she incorporates Ford into her history studies, but since they spend over a month of independent reading, discussion, and writing on this unit, I can imagine that Ford is the starting point for a wide-ranging educational exploration.

For several years, she had a local Model A owner who would bring his car and give a presentation with a Q&A session and it seems this was very popular, such that the kids in the lower grades eagerly look forward to his visit when they ascend to the fifth grade level.

Unfortunately, this gentleman passed away last year and I have been approached to take his place. My '30 standard Tudor will suffice for the car and I've been studying Ford for almost 50 years, so feel I can cover the knowledge end reasonably well.

The teacher has indicated that a Ford-related slide show or Powerpoint presentation could easily be accommodated but I have nothing of that sort on hand and don't feel I will be able to produce anything of that nature in the next few weeks due to other commitments.

Thus this post. Does anyone have anything of this nature available, or know of any club or person who might be willing to supply such a thing to me for use in this environment? I'm thinking either of the national clubs might have something of this nature, but thought a post here would be the easiest way to see if that's the case.

My visit is not scheduled yet, but will be sometime in mid-September or thereabouts.

Additionally, if there are any Model A owners who would be willing to appear with their car, that would be a great thing. The more the merrier, as they say. The school is just north of Roswell, GA, and the visit would be during the week, rather than on a weekend.

Last edited by Slotblog; 08-30-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Slotblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:57 PM   #2
Stew Masche

Default Re: Ford-themed presentation sought

Your instructor should go on-line, and check out a site called 'Class Room Video on Demand' Powered by Films on Demand. I believe this site is by subscription, and our local school district has it. There are hundreds of subjects available. I did a search for 'Henry Ford' and there is a quick list of 53 available films. Among the titles I saw on this subject were; Thomas Edison and Henry Ford; Henry Ford Invents the Modern Age; Henry Ford, Family Man, and many more.

As I stated, this site has titles available for many subjects, and I was able to view a couple of their subjects at our local school. Very informative, interesting, and educational. I think this would be a good place to start, or have the instructor check with a local university library or a public library to see what other resources are available.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Stew

Last edited by Stew Masche; 08-31-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Stew Masche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:14 PM   #3
Slotblog

Thanks, Stew!

Great tagline BTW.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:03 PM   #4
Stew Masche

I'll have to see if I can somehow get a chance to see the one titled 'Henry Ford, Family Man' and give it a review here. Apparently with all the hell that Edsel went through, there were 'spin doctors' back then too! Maybe another of Henry's inventions!
Old 08-31-2015, 07:36 PM   #5
glenn in camino

Several years ago my local club in Southern Cal did a presentation about Model As for the local jr college auto shop. Lots of questions and interest. Unfortunatly most schools no longer offer auto shop.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:02 AM   #6
monto

Smile Re: Ford-themed presentation sought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew Masche View Post
I'll have to see if I can somehow get a chance to see the one titled 'Henry Ford, Family Man' and give it a review here. Apparently with all the hell that Edsel went through, there were 'spin doctors' back then too! Maybe another of Henry's inventions!
FYI
In reading Lee Iacocca's autobiography IACOCCA, it was fascinating to learn how Henry's "cultural behavior" was emulated by top brass at FMCo long after he was gone.
monto is offline   Reply With Quote