Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2015, 06:35 PM   #1
hardtimes

Default throwout bearing Q...

Going to install a new throwout bearing. Wondering if there is any consensus / opinion on best such bearing for trouble free use. I have three different (Schats marked; Mex marked and USA marked). They are all new and seem to be right for job, but we all know how that goes, that's why asking for those who get best/longest use and/or worst use for which bearing ?

Pictured is collar with Mex stamped TO bearing:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (39.9 KB, 63 views)
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:03 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: throwout bearing Q...

There were several brands given in the thread a week or so ago.

Federal Mogal was one brand i remember.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:27 PM   #3
WestCoast

the only bearing to use is the one made in the USA
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:03 AM   #4
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post

Hey Mike,
Hm, I do not have a Federal Mogal. Wonder where it is made. Guess I'll check that out and the thread that you mention also !
Old 08-31-2015, 12:05 AM   #5
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
the only bearing to use is the one made in the USA
I kind of agree with you, but was wondering also , if more than one brand made in USA ? Choice is good, eh
Old 08-31-2015, 05:50 AM   #6
Patrick L.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If any of the ones you have are capable of being greased thru the fitting on the sleeve, thats the one I would use. Some replacements don't have that ability.

I used to an American made guy, but, have had problems with American made bearings over the years on 'modern' cars.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
afuncar

I had three different ones with three different manufacturers Germany, mexico, and U.S they all sounded dry when I spun them.I was concerned so I packed grease in from any lip and joint I could find, took a while but worked excellent.
afuncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:06 AM   #8
1955cj5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post

I bought this one recently...Can't remember if it was from Bert's or Bratton's..

Federal mogul Made in Mexico...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1080865.JPG (142.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 08-31-2015, 01:15 PM   #9
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by afuncar View Post
I had three different ones with three different manufacturers Germany, mexico, and U.S they all sounded dry when I spun them.I was concerned so I packed grease in from any lip and joint I could find, took a while but worked excellent.
Good idea, may try that with the one that I use of my three. I found that my Schatz is made in USA !
I read where one guy reportedly drilled a hole (1/8" ? ) on side of bearing case and used grease pump to fill with his favorite grease, then plugging hole (solder?). Might try that also.
I agree with sentiments, that it is a darn hard job, that is , taking out a bad TO bearing and putting in a new one...so making sure that you install what model you have confidence in IS important !!
Old 08-31-2015, 07:13 PM   #10
2manycars

I suggest checking the pilot bearing as well. The original was not sealed or sheilded, so clutch facing dust often clogged them to where they did non turn, and that leads to worn inputshaft spigot. The new ones are sealed, but the seal restricts the bearing from turning, and that is also not good. I use bronze bushings, like Ford changed to in later years.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:22 PM   #11
glenn in camino

I once installed a non USA throwout just before a trip to Reno. It started making noise on the way home. When I took it apart, there was grease all over the inside of the bellhousing, and the bearing was shot.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:36 PM   #12
SeaSlugs

at work we use all sorts of bearings from many countries in multi-million dollar machining centers. just because a bearing isnt made in the US doesnt mean its crap and a known good bearing company can have thier bearings made in many different countries - usually varies by different sizes (IE: a 1/2" ID bearing may be made in USA but a 1" id bearing may be made in mexico)

japan and germany make very good bearings (very $$$ though)

Im with Patrick L up there and find one that can be greased thru the inner race...after all thats what destroys a bearing is lack of lube

Last edited by SeaSlugs; 08-31-2015 at 07:42 PM.
SeaSlugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:40 PM   #13
Tom Endy

A few years ago most every supplier carried a throw-out bearing made by a company called Aetna. These bearings were failing coming out of the box. Bratton's switched to Federal Mogul. These bearing are made in Mexico, but seem to be of good quality. I have had one in my Vic for a number of years and have installed them in other people's cars without a failure.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #14
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
I once installed a non USA throwout just before a trip to Reno. It started making noise on the way home. When I took it apart, there was grease all over the inside of the bellhousing, and the bearing was shot.
Good news is that I found another new TO bearing in stuff cabinets. It is USA made and marking is L&S...anyone familiar with this one

Glenn, guys are saying to use one with lube zerk. I have a lube zerk in the collar that I've pictured....but any lube thru that zerk, will just go in and onto shaft/collar sliding surfaces. Now that I read your remarks about 'grease all over'...yikes, do not even want to go that route. All of my bearings are 'sealed' anyway...so why lube thru zerk,eh ?
Old 09-01-2015, 03:33 PM   #15
Tom Endy

The early throw-out bearings used with the multi-disk clutch are different from the single disk clutch. They have a grease fitting right into the bearing itself. I have reused a number of the originals as replacement are not available. The fact that so many survived is likely due to the ability to keep them well greased.

With the single disk clutch the throw-out bearing attaches to a collar that rides on the sleeve on the transmission front bearing retainer. The collar has a grease fitting. When grease is pumped in it goes onto the sleeve on the bearing retainer. If you look at the inside of the collar you will see that there is a protrusion that scrapes up the grease as the clutch is activated and supposedly forces it into three holes just behind the protrusion. If you remove the bearing you can see where the bearing presses on that the three holes are there to allow the grease to go into the bearing from the bottom. How well it works is another story.

If you order a throw-out bearing from Bratton's it will be a Federal Mogul made in Mexico and it should work well for you.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote