Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2015, 07:51 AM   #21
JD 1931

Default Re: LED tail lights

I installed 6 volt led all red tails lights (Mikes) with the original generator and they show almost as good as a new Caddy. Brake lights and lights are bright now, Have not installed the turn signals yet but I thinking of using the cowl lights with new reflectors for the turn signal bulbs (amber) ,I would like a dash switch that would not be to bulky and somewhat hidden, maybe a toggle..
JD 1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:07 AM   #22
billybronco1

All I can say is WOW what a difference they are so bright how can you be missed. As long as you have a regular bulb in the system no need for a resister. I still have directional bulbs in the cowl lights. I bought just the lens replacements and I did have to modify the plate light some what to fit. The red lens is a tight fit in the can but look great and work awesome, I feel much safer now.
billybronco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:48 PM   #23
wensum

I have just fitted LED taillights from Speedway Motors, excellent service and a great product and WOW! are they bright. Also got halogen headlights and LED direction indicators for safe night driving.
A motorcycle flasher unit that also makes a loud beeping noise works well with LEDs and reduces the chances of forgetting to cancel the indicators.
A simple three way switch is used for the indicators requiring only three wires, power in to the centre and power out each side, none of the complex set-up required for a column mounted lever
Keith
wensum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #24
quickchange

Keith, Speedway motors ???? No I got them from AZ Model A parts for you , Top folks to deal with, SO good we are going back again in a few weeks, Derek on a spring day in Nelson NZ
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:22 PM   #25
ericr

I regret interjecting a disappointing aside here, but where I live, it is infrequent to see a turn signal used during the day. Perhaps part of it is that we have all seen that occasional driver who is oblivious to his turn signal being left on as he cruises, therefore, other drivers think, what's the use?

We are much more likely to see turn signals at night, however.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:27 PM   #26
glenn in camino

I put a 12V one in my 1930 deluxe delivery as the taillight is under the rear door and not very visible. What a difference. I love it.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:19 PM   #27
Bruce Adams

I went for red only LEDs plus the third brake light. Here I am with left turn signal on. I have no problems when using my turn signals utilizing cowl lights with incandescent higher powered bulbs and a buzzer on the heavy duty flasher. I think red only makes sense since its too hard to educate the rest of the driving world of our interesting amber / red tail light situation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mod A Tail Light.jpg (120.9 KB, 21 views)
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:15 PM   #28
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
I regret interjecting a disappointing aside here, but where I live, it is infrequent to see a turn signal used during the day. Perhaps part of it is that we have all seen that occasional driver who is oblivious to his turn signal being left on as he cruises, therefore, other drivers think, what's the use?

We are much more likely to see turn signals at night, however.
Here in South Florida it is worse then that. When the driver behind you sees the the directionals it indicates that you are going to get in front of him and he speeds up preventing you from moving over. No joke intended!
Old 08-30-2015, 10:27 PM   #29
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillLee/Chandler, TX View Post
Almost ALL of my driving is done in daylight, probably close to 99%. Headlights don't overpower anything when they are not turned on.

Biggest need to be seen is for the folks following. I am watching the one coming the other direction.

Most moderns have the turn signals right beside the headlights. Are they "over powered"?
My 2014 Dodge turns off the headlight over the operating turn signal!
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:27 AM   #30
billybronco1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
I went for red only LEDs plus the third brake light. Here I am with left turn signal on. I have no problems when using my turn signals utilizing cowl lights with incandescent higher powered bulbs and a buzzer on the heavy duty flasher. I think red only makes sense since its too hard to educate the rest of the driving world of our interesting amber / red tail light situation.
I also bought red only for brake & directionals, they are very bright. Can you tell me the part number for the higher powered cowl light bulb you used? I'm still running a six volt system.
billybronco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:32 AM   #31
Bruce Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybronco1 View Post
I also bought red only for brake & directionals, they are very bright. Can you tell me the part number for the higher powered cowl light bulb you used? I'm still running a six volt system.
Hi Billy,
Bratton lists the 10 CP 6 volt bulb as their part number 18480 in their 2015 catalog, page 83. The standard bulb is 3 CP. I have had nothing but good results using the cowl lamp for a turn signal, since just about the only time you need a front turn signal is for left turns and I am frequently waved ahead by opposing drivers at lights on Long Island, NY.

I attribute the amperage demand of the 10 CP bulb as what permits the flasher to operate properly though I use LEDs aft.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:00 AM   #32
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
Hi Billy,
Bratton lists the 10 CP 6 volt bulb as their part number 18480 in their 2015 catalog, page 83. The standard bulb is 3 CP. I have had nothing but good results using the cowl lamp for a turn signal, since just about the only time you need a front turn signal is for left turns and I am frequently waved ahead by opposing drivers at lights on Long Island, NY.

I attribute the amperage demand of the 10 CP bulb as what permits the flasher to operate properly though I use LEDs aft.

Yep ! Simple and reliable. And I like simple and reliable !
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:59 AM   #33
jrelliott

Bruce Adams the bulb can be obtained from parts houses near where you live and you do not have to order them. The 6V 32 cp bulb for the cowl light is a #1133 or #1129 for a 21cp bulb. The 3cp bulb is a #63 and the 6cp is a #81. The information I had shows the bulb being a #81 6cp. I do not know the number for the 10 cp bulb, but if you find it send me an email [email protected] Have compiled a list of all bulbs and candle power for the A in both 6 and 12 Volts, so more information the better and can put it in my list. If anyone wants the list send me an email.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:48 PM   #34
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrelliott View Post
Bruce Adams the bulb can be obtained from parts houses near where you live and you do not have to order them. The 6V 32 cp bulb for the cowl light is a #1133 or #1129 for a 21cp bulb. The 3cp bulb is a #63 and the 6cp is a #81. The information I had shows the bulb being a #81 6cp. I do not know the number for the 10 cp bulb, but if you find it send me an email [email protected] Have compiled a list of all bulbs and candle power for the A in both 6 and 12 Volts, so more information the better and can put it in my list. If anyone wants the list send me an email.

Now thats a good idea and good info to have.

Someone had recently PM'd me for this info regarding 12v and I couldn't give him much info and had to refer him to www.bulbtown.com
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote