Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2014, 03:06 AM   #1
insomniacshotrods

Default Halogen tail lights

1929 tudor - 6 volt pos ground system - alternator :::: I went to a show a month ago, heading into town with my park lights on. It was dark after leaving and I noticed i had no tail lights, just license plate light was on. Bulbs looked good ,but test light said I had voltage , so I put in new bulbs and fixed the problem. I was looking the other night and I have burnt out another one. I put in 10 watt bulbs to be seen better. Are halogen bulbs less likely to burn out? Lot of money for a bulb. We have popped bulbs on our motorized bikes by going fast and magneto but out too much for the bulb. Crossed my mind in this case,but only one is blown this time. ??? Thanks
Old 07-27-2014, 03:30 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Halogen tail lights

Sounds like nothing more than crap overseas bulbs to me. Try swap meets, ebay, berts in Denver for original bulbs, or at least old bulbs.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:05 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

When you say you had no "tail lights", I assume you meant brake lights, because the license light is the tail light. I agree, with the information given, it sounds like poor quality bulbs.

You can also try LED bulbs.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #4
Willie Krash

I agree with Tom, confused also, Part of my pre-flight routine is step on the brake and watch the ammeter.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #5
Bruce Adams

I am a great believer in replacing the insides of original taillites with a vendor provided LED panel which has both running and brake lights with a much greater lighting intensity than incandescent bulbs, and do not burn out as far as I know. I, for one, went with red, top and bottom since, particularly with my THIRD BRAKE LIGHT being red, I figure the amber just gives fellow motorists another reason to be confused. I also have directionals since I found trying to get to the right lane on a parkway impossible with hand signals, and really easy with LED built-in turn signals.
Good luck with your decision.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
Ed Wendell

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
insomniacshotrods,

Go with the LED conversion kits. In this day of high speeds and distracted drivers the brighter lights the better.
Ed
Ed Wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:36 AM   #7
insomniacshotrods

Sorry I always call them tail lights. Running lights is correct term I'd guess. Not brake lights they work fine. Personally I don't like the look of the led tail lights . Sounds strange since I have a led third brake light. I put in 21 watt brake light bulbs and replaced the 3 watt running lights with the 10 watt ones from mikes. I might get a conversion led tail light and try it maybe it will grow on me. The old bulbs just have a glow look that I like. Thanks guys.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #8
jrelliott

Another possibility is poor grounds. The lights will flicker with a poor ground which is similar to turning on and off several times which lessens bulb life. Heat is another factor in bulb life. By putting higher wattage bulbs in a confined space, the higher the heat in that space. LEDs are brighter and last many times longer than incandescent bulbs plus they require much less current. If you have turn signals in you tail lights, make sure the additional resistor is on the back of the LED board or you turn signals may not work as there is not enough current draw to make the flasher work properly.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:46 AM   #9
insomniacshotrods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
When you say you had no "tail lights", I assume you meant brake lights, because the license light is the tail light. I agree, with the information given, it sounds like poor quality bulbs.

You can also try LED bulbs.
Crap sorry I forgot , previous owner put license plate light where spare used to be.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

OK, so now the plot thickens
The license plate is where the spare used to be and it's lit up when the lights are on. It must also have a red taillight lens, or is there a special lamp for license only?

Do you have one taillight on the left, or a second one on the right?

If you have two, are they both out?

Does the taillight ever come on?

If it comes on, but goes out when the brakes are applied, that sounds like a bad ground for the light socket.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #11
insomniacshotrods

Lights all work as they should , when they should at least till they burn out.Ill replace the bulb again and see how long it last. Passenger side running light is still good. Thanks again.

Last edited by insomniacshotrods; 07-27-2014 at 04:45 PM.
insomniacshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:53 PM   #12
TerryH

Forget about liking the glow of those old incandescent bulbs...the new LED's are far brighter and will be much more visible to others. To me, unless you have a show car, it also makes no sense to have only one rear tail light. Two, with LED's is far superior.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote