Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-03-2022, 11:54 PM   #21
cas3

Default Re: av8 enigine placement

I like variety in my old fords. If the topic does not interest me, and there are many, I dont click on it. just that easy !
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 07:33 AM   #22
chuck stevens

8 BA in 31 A, generator, fan, and pullies in stock placement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pictures from j3 146.jpg (100.7 KB, 52 views)
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:25 AM   #23
walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck stevens View Post
Flipped firewall I’m guessing?

I think the key to asking Hotrod questions on this forum is to leave out the context enough that it is ambiguous. The technical aspects are still relevant.
A little discretion.

Otherwise the Hamb is better suited to most discussions concerning AV8s.
I don’t mean that’s my opinion, just that there are a good amount of people on that board with a wealth of knowledge on the topic.
walls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 07:51 PM   #24
Flathead Fever

My friend just built a '30 AV8 with a 59A. He had a book that said to use a '32 wishbone. The '32 ended up being too long. That was a misprint in the book. A '33-'34 wishbone is shorter than a '32. It you use the stock '33-'34 wishbone with your Model A front spring to locate tour K-member, a 59A engine will end up with enough clearance for a generator mounted fan and still have a little clearance at the firewall. It's like that '33'-34 wishbone was made for building an AV8. It could not have worked out any better.

You do not want an 8BA for a couple of reasons. They are longer because of the extended water pumps for the late model distributor. But also, because in 1949 Ford eliminated the toque tube and went to a modern driveshaft with parallel rear leaf springs, they eliminated the castings in the later blocks for what most people call the chatter rods. Those are engine stabilizer rods that prevent the torque tube from pushing the engine forwards under acceleration. If you use a torque tube rear end your better off with the earlier blocks so you will have stabilizer rods from the block to the K-member.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:23 PM   #25
cas3

While I agree the 59a is a better choice, there are lots of threads here on how to fabricate mounts for the steady rods on an 8ba block. I'm a 59a kinda guy , myself
Old 12-05-2022, 07:40 AM   #26
chuck stevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by walls View Post
Flipped firewall I’m guessing?

I think the key to asking Hotrod questions on this forum is to leave out the context enough that it is ambiguous. The technical aspects are still relevant.
A little discretion.

Otherwise the Hamb is better suited to most discussions concerning AV8s.
I don’t mean that’s my opinion, just that there are a good amount of people on that board with a wealth of knowledge on the topic.
Firewall is a sectioned 32, with the legs trimmed, oil filter is remote mount acts as a cooler. I have both stock and hot rods, like em all.
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 08:14 AM   #27
PeteVS

I just can't seem to find my way onto the HAMB.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:44 AM   #28
sidevalve8ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck stevens View Post
Chuck, that is a rather "unique" intake manifold to say the least!
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:34 AM   #29
rotorwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead Fever View Post
My friend just built a '30 AV8 with a 59A. He had a book that said to use a '32 wishbone. The '32 ended up being too long. That was a misprint in the book. A '33-'34 wishbone is shorter than a '32. It you use the stock '33-'34 wishbone with your Model A front spring to locate tour K-member, a 59A engine will end up with enough clearance for a generator mounted fan and still have a little clearance at the firewall. It's like that '33'-34 wishbone was made for building an AV8. It could not have worked out any better.

You do not want an 8BA for a couple of reasons. They are longer because of the extended water pumps for the late model distributor. But also, because in 1949 Ford eliminated the toque tube and went to a modern driveshaft with parallel rear leaf springs, they eliminated the castings in the later blocks for what most people call the chatter rods. Those are engine stabilizer rods that prevent the torque tube from pushing the engine forwards under acceleration. If you use a torque tube rear end your better off with the earlier blocks so you will have stabilizer rods from the block to the K-member.
For better information on this a person has to suffer the use of the HAMB search functions. I'm sure Ryan doesn't mind if questions come up on the Ford Barn now and then as long as folks don't try to make this into the HAMB.

Mike Bishop posted a fairly good explanation about his misprint concerning the front radius rod assembly on there but the photos were likely from Photobucket file sharing so they may be gone now. They used a 1932 part on the roadster project but printed that the 34 was used. Mike's article on the HAMB was on how to lengthen a 34 unit if you followed the Bishop/Tardel book and sourced one for a project. It is a good read.

The HAMB also has multiple ways to use the 8BA in older cars that are dimensionally challenged. I for one believe the 8BA is more functionally adaptable than the older engines and especially on the rear end for transmission adaptation. There are many more 8BA survivor engines out there by comparison to the 59 series or earlier engines.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:56 PM   #30
28fordroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Actually there something of mission statement which evidently some of you have missed at the very beginning of this forum under the title "Hey Fellas.....Some Clarification" wherein the owner of this website specifically excludes hot rods and suggests those interested in them should to the HAMB website.
Ok I went and read the hey fellas. You guys are more pure than I imagined. I'll keep my questions stock related
Thanks
28fordroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 01:09 AM   #31
cas3

Theres lots of vintage ford hot rodders here. We don't talk much about SBC's, or vega steering boxes, but the interest and knowledge of vintage ford modifications is here. No need to run away