Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-26-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
Bondolero

Default 33-34 pickup fenders

anybody tried, held, inspected the steel reproduction front fenders for these trucks ? How do they stack up against brookvilles 32 passengers. I don't know who is producing them.
thanks
Larry

Last edited by Bondolero; 08-26-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Bondolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
flathead34

Default Re: 33-34 pickup fenders

I did not know these existed. Who makes them? Mike
flathead34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
34pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead34 View Post
I did not know these existed. Who makes them? Mike
Me either.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Bondolero

There is one listed on ebay right now, I am wondering if it is a 32 brookville he used on his 34. I have heard claims tho that someone was selling them at Hershey that were repros. Maybe Elmer (twin joan) knows, he is pretty up on all things 34.
Larry
Old 08-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
phartman

I am a skeptic, but please post more info. I don't know anybody repopping fenders for a '33/34.
phartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
deuce lover

The 32 pass and pickup fender will not work at all on a 33-34 commercial.No one repo's them.Fiberglass is the other option.Ford Store in San Dimas,CA has some nice originals.
deuce lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
Bondolero

Could you elaborate on any used set or NOS you know of, I am not looking for a bargain set and will not chisel your source. Will step up for nos or very nice used. thank you for any leads.

Larry
480-212-6457
[email protected]
Old 08-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #8
Bondolero

the reproductions are being made by Howell Sheetmetal in Beaumont TX. Sold in pairs only. Anybody used a set of them ?
Old 08-27-2012, 06:20 AM   #9
phartman

Lots of reported problems with that company over the years, but maybe their service has improved recently. Don't know, but worth checking out.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=60920

I am not familiar with- and have not seen- any repop fenders like you described. Now, you are aware of the difference between the pickup truck fenders and the big truck fenders? Which were you looking for? The big truck fenders come up pretty regularly here, Jalopy Journal and Ebay. If you are looking for a nice set of pickup truck fenders with the spare tire pocket, be prepared to pay up.

And if you want rear fenders, holy smokes, bring along your checkbook and a trailer full of cash-o-la.
phartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
Bondolero

I want a pair of trucks, I do not want a spare pocket. I actually have a left which could be easily repaired but my right has too much bead damage and rivet holes in it to justify a repair. I have rears that are already metal finished.
I purchased a set of running boards recently from Howell and they arrived quickly and well packaged but I have heard some bad things about them not following thru. There must be something that is not exactly original with their fenders because they are only sold in pairs which tells me one will not match an original. I prefer original for that reason.'
thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.
Larry

Last edited by Bondolero; 08-27-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Bondolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
deuce lover

Saw that repo right side fender on EBAY.It doesn't have the raised lump where it meets the frame near the radiator.Looks good otherwise.You might ask Bill at the Ford Store about how they fit as he might know.That fender is not far from his store.
deuce lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #12
DICK SPADARO

A number of years ago there was an attempt to make 1932 ford repro front fenders into 1934 Ford pickup front fenders. There were only a few pair made and the project fell apart, fender on Ebay appear to be similar to those and lacks the originality of the raised bump over the front cross member rivets as already pointed out. I think this is a buyer beware item.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
alchemy

Howell's has them listed here: http://www.fordor.com/category.cfm?s...6ford&cat=1932 1933 1934 Ford Truck Parts&sort=title

I'd assume that they (or their supplier) are making them fresh.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #14
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
Saw that repo right side fender on EBAY.It doesn't have the raised lump where it meets the frame near the radiator.Looks good otherwise.You might ask Bill at the Ford Store about how they fit as he might know.That fender is not far from his store.
In addition to raised lump I think there is also a slight difference in the location of the headlight bar. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #15
alchemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
In addition to raised lump I think there is also a slight difference in the location of the headlight bar. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

Charlie Stephens
If you're talking about the differences between a 32 fender and a 34 pickup fender, there are a lot more differences than just the small hump and the headlight bar holes. The whole flange that rests on top of the frame is different. And the flange that bolts to the side of the frame and the runningboard are different. They may look the same, but they are not.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #16
Bondolero

I think he was talking about the differences in the repro fenders and an original 34 truck fender. The repros are not 32 fenders, the guy who has one for sale used them on a 34 truck. We are questioning what may be differences in the originals since Howell will only sell a pair. I am not concerned about the rivet bump or headlight holes since my frame has a front crossmember welded in but I am concerned with length and fit around the front frame horns and running boards,
Larry
Old 08-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #17
Bondolero

Just as an update on the repro fenders, I spoke with Howell Sheetmetal this am and learned the following.
The new stampings of this fender have the bump in them.
They will sell singles but there have been claims of minor bead differences when opposite an original therefore they recommend a pair.
Weighing Howell's alleged fit problems the following is MY OPINION ONLY BASED ON MY PERSONAL TASTE:
These are not made by Howell in-house.
As long as they fit with some work they are still cheaper by a bunch than buying originals and having someone metal repair them. I don't care if a Ford expert can look at them and spot them as repros. Actually I remember reading an article on 32 original fenders not matching well especially when looking at them from the front.
By the time I have to decide, there will be enough of them sold somebody will chime in that they are a pos or decent for the money.
My two pesos.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #18
bills1020

We have had these for a couple years now. Fenders are made in Ohio. They do not have the "hump" as someone already pointed out. We have only sold a handful of these but have had no bad reports. As with any reproduction sheetmetal, I'm sure there is work involved in getting them to fit to today's standards.
Paul
Midwest Early Ford
bills1020 is offline   Reply With Quote