Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2015, 03:21 PM   #1
harvest

Default need idea's for 1947 pickup headliner/kickpanel

i came across several companies that reproduce the headliner/kick panel kit.. I seen some made of cardboard and some with a vinly/leather look. Has anyone ever purchased any of these kits and can share some info and possibly pics? looking thru catalogs and internet, its really kinda hard to see what you get. i have a 47 panel delivery and i think any 47 pickup headliner/kickpanel should work with.. any help,many thanks.
harvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:53 PM   #2
FortyNiner

Default Re: need idea's for 1947 pickup headliner/kickpanel

I bought a set from Mac's for my 49 F1. They are the cardboard style - same as the originals being replaced. The look is good and seem durable for the pieces: head liner, rear window surround, and kick panels. My pics are limited and not very revealing, sorry:

The bigger deal on these is the shipping cost, especially for the headliner. It seems to me that Dennis Carpenter is the most reasonable - be certain to check out completely to avoid the deadly 'additional shipping charges'.
FortyNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
Cecil/WV

Unfortunately, there are extra charges from carpenter, also. I'm going to pick mine up when I go to the ENM in Charlotte in June.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:37 PM   #4
Ralph Moore

If your able to make a pattern from heavy paper or card material , you can get the board from a hardware store and do it yourself. Doing this on my 31.
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:03 PM   #5
TomT/Williamsburg

Here are some pics of a 40 interior I did - I just matched my material to the Chevy Suburban 3rd seat I used ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010051.jpg (42.9 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg P1010050.jpg (72.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg P1010054.jpg (60.6 KB, 74 views)
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:48 PM   #6
D. Jones

I bought an interior kit for my 1945 1/2 ton from LeBaron Bonney. It included the upholstery and headliner/kick panel set. Cost was $377.38. Shipping, because I am on the West coast, was $256.70. And UPS didn't even offer to kiss me first. LeBaron Bonney did call me first because of the high cost of shipping. I was unable to talk the nice young woman there into flying it out to me for free so, I said "send it". I'm very pleased with what I got and how it looks in my truck. The instructions were good and easy to follow. It went together quite quickly. I would and probably will do it again.
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:26 PM   #7
expavr

I also used LeBaron Bonney's kit. There was a small flaw in one of the kick panels and Le Baron Bonney shipped out a new panel without quibbling. Good people to work with.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:38 PM   #8
sunshine

I just purchased a head liner and kick panel kit from LABAREN BONNEY for my 39 pkup. Shipping was only 36.00 I am located in MD. So if your in PA.the shipping should be about the same. I have not installed it yet. but I have been told they are the best. SUNSHINE
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:43 PM   #9
Wily Kyote

TomT, I love everything I see in the three pics. Probably everyone on the planet except me already knows-- but what years of the Suburban does this 3rd row seat come from? Thanks.
Wily Kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:26 PM   #10
Sixseven

Looks like an early 90's seat. I had a 90 with a similar stitch pattern.
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:00 PM   #11
TomT/Williamsburg

93-94 have that stitch pattern but are getting hard to find. Later seats up to 97 will fit the same but have a different stitch pattern. The seat even folds down making underneath a great place for your battery, your fuse box, or a small AC unit. I mounted the seat the same way it is mounted in the Suburban and you can easily remove the seat from the interior for updates. Go to eBay and look for 3rd seat Suburban - there is usually one or two for sale. If they are clean you are good to go and $$ for doing seat upholstery is saved. I try and find a grey or tan one as they are easiest to match with material and the colors go with many, many exterior colors.

All the panels were cut from a brown-type board whose name escapes me at the moment. When I made mine I actually made a second set of patterns for a future project which I am now working on. BTW, the console is from the same years Suburban. There is usually a guy at Charlotte who sells seats and has these consoles. For my orange truck I used the console for my AC controls - I ran/extended the wiring up the window posts. Visors came from a mid-80s GM sedan that had the right color units.

I love the way the interior came out on this truck myself but it was a "flip" and I
only had it a short time after finishing it ( I made enough for a semesters tuition for our daughter). I am hoping to duplicate it on my present project but in grey ....

Here are a couple exterior shots of the truck - it looks great and ran great but it had f-glass from and rear fenders as well as running boards. Paint was single stage that we wet sanded up to 2000 grit and buffed to a deep, deep shine - it was a mile deep. Bed board I did from Home Depot hardwood myself and finished with marine varnish - I loved the way it reflected in the paint ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010044.jpg (105.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg P1010046.jpg (99.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg P1010057.jpg (60.8 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by TomT/Williamsburg; 02-10-2015 at 11:07 PM.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:12 AM   #12
Wily Kyote

TomT, Thank you for all your information. A '41 half ton thanks you, also.
Wily Kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:58 AM   #13
scrapiron

Kick panels are easy, I made some from thin paneling for a '53 Desoto. Paint to suit.
scrapiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:05 AM   #14
harvest

Thank you members for all this great info and sharing all the pics! What a great group here!
harvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:54 AM   #15
TJ

I posted this for another question, but try Quiet Ride Solutions for the ABS panels. www.quietride.com. They also make great firewall insulators.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:36 PM   #16
36coupe

White Foam board. I get it from a print shop that makes signs
You can mould it with a heat gun, neat to work with.
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:03 PM   #17
41panelmark

Bought un cut flatboard from LABAREN BONNEY, used my originals as a pattern for the panel, came out very well. The second set I ordered the kit for the p/u, not the best but close. The kick panels are to short.
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:07 PM   #18
41panelmark

Here are some photos of the kick panels on my panel. The panels provided by LB are too small. I was lucky enough to have the originals on both trucks. I cut new ones for the panel but just used the kit panels for the big truck. The rest of the kit for the big truck was ok for the most part, a few quirks but for a farm truck it will do. For more pics on that one check my Tonners group page, lots of shots there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kick panel (396x703).jpg (26.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09731 (800x600).jpg (207.1 KB, 32 views)
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:57 AM   #19
Dave D

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Jones View Post
I bought an interior kit for my 1945 1/2 ton from LeBaron Bonney. It included the upholstery and headliner/kick panel set. Cost was $377.38. Shipping, because I am on the West coast, was $256.70. And UPS didn't even offer to kiss me first. LeBaron Bonney did call me first because of the high cost of shipping. I was unable to talk the nice young woman there into flying it out to me for free so, I said "send it". I'm very pleased with what I got and how it looks in my truck. The instructions were good and easy to follow. It went together quite quickly. I would and probably will do it again.
I hate to even say this, but if your LB headliner and door panels are the plastic ones they were made by Quietride....in California. Your panels may have traveled cross country twice!
Dave D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #20
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave D View Post
I hate to even say this, but if your LB headliner and door panels are the plastic ones they were made by Quietride....in California. Your panels may have traveled cross country twice!
Unless LB has changed their policy they don't use the ABS panels.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote