Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #41
Vonn Ditch

Default Re: New Flathead Engine

I would buy one today, no, I'd buy two. Chinese, French, German, Mozambique, Brazil, I don't care as long as it was a quality product. I've spent more than enough time and money on junk blocks to have bought a very high priced new one several times over the years.
Vonn Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #42
Wily Kyote

Is this the pan off the China flathead? The transmission bolt pattern isn't even the same. Compare to the Ford bolt pattern on the right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9150481.jpg (82.6 KB, 109 views)
Wily Kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:14 PM   #43
rotorwrench

I think if the Chi-Coms ever started mass producing a decent flathead, they would probably like its simplicity so much that they would keep them all over there. Plus the fact that they don't have any emission standards like we do. They could run one of the simplest to maintain engines ever made. Look Ma no push rods or rocker arms. Me Likey!
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #44
Shadetree

I can see it now. A Chinese flathead matched up with a Chinese clutch and pressure plate. No thanks! I have been burnt too many times by Chinese Crap. They can't even make a water hose nozzle that will last a summer...
Old 05-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #45
Henry Floored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wily Kyote View Post
Is this the pan off the China flathead? The transmission bolt pattern isn't even the same. Compare to the Ford bolt pattern on the right.
Not to change the subject but that trans adapter on the right looks like a small block Ford to early Ford trans. Am I right? If so is that a new product? Can you tell us more about it?
Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #46
Tinker

No comment on where its made..... Other then following the idea and hoping for native production setup. It is a real world production consideration to be fair.

If you purchase 12 blocks at 500 bucks each you have spent less the half then the new block. Now you put 5gs in a rebuild and parts you are probably at the high end of the high end flathead.

One more thought of location and production... Its designed here, made somewhere else, I don't feel is an end all issue. Even Michelangelo showed up on site and said, take a little more off here... I might add with some experience of over seas production, products get changed or mod'ed unaware to the designer... happens in the translation sometimes.... maybe.

I'm still a little bit on the thought of restoring. So it not a consideration for me. I will say it will be a interesting game changer. It maybe comparable to the difference of a glass body and a steel body. It will only matter to those that care and what is available and certainly not a nail on the rebuilders that know a old block.

I wish the designer the best of luck.

Last edited by Tinker; 05-28-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:13 PM   #47
Henry Floored

I echo the concerns stated above about cracked blocks. I have a few good blocks and several abused blocks with serious cracks. I wish it were not so but it is. This alone is enough for the not so dedicated to Flathead Ford car builder to quickly decided to convert to brand x power. Maybe if Ford Motor Company finally took notice and diverted even just a small portion of what they spend on Mustang they could develop some real Ford hard parts that could help the situation. Not everyone has piles of vintage parts squirreled away like us. There is a broad market out there and interested parties from all walks of life.

In addition think of the ripple effect in both publicity and trickle down product development if FoMoCo themselves actually got into the game. I will argue that the Flathead Ford V8 is as much a "cornerstone" product as the Mustang is for the Ford Motor Company. I feel like Ford needs to reidentify with its golden years and somehow bring that to a new generation. If they don't our beloved Ford V8's will be one of three things, bastardized chevords, museum pieces or rotting hulks in just a generation from now. Mark my words.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #48
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Floored View Post
Not to change the subject but that trans adapter on the right looks like a small block Ford to early Ford trans. Am I right? If so is that a new product? Can you tell us more about it?
I saw just the other day that Bendsen's (http://www.transmissionadapters.com/) just added a 302 to flathead-style Ford trans adapter. Nice to have that option instead of just SBC's.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:26 PM   #49
Tinker

Quote:
I echo the concerns stated above about cracked blocks. I have a few good blocks and several abused blocks with serious cracks. I wish it were not so but it is. This alone is enough for the not so dedicated to Flathead Ford car builder to quickly decided to convert to brand x power. Maybe if Ford Motor Company finally took notice and diverted even just a small portion of what they spend on Mustang they could develop some real Ford hard parts that could help the situation. Not everyone has piles of vintage parts squirreled away like us. There is a broad market out there and interested parties from all walks of life.

In addition think of the ripple effect in both publicity and trickle down product development if FoMoCo themselves actually got into the game. I will argue that the Flathead Ford V8 is as much a "cornerstone" product as the Mustang is for the Ford Motor Company. I feel like Ford needs to reidentify with its golden years and somehow bring that to a new generation. If they don't our beloved Ford V8's will be one of three things, bastardized chevords, museum pieces or rotting hulks in just a generation from now. Mark my words.

The future is in electrics and electric cars. Don't forget it. Ford looks forward with open eyes and stand on their own feet. I truly believe that and am glad to buy that. When ford puts out a full electric it will be a good car. I might be ignorant but I don't think its in their best interest to create a flathead division, as much as I agree it would be awesome!
Old 05-27-2014, 08:53 PM   #50
Henry Floored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
The future is in electrics and electric cars. Don't forget it. Ford looks forward with open eyes and stand on their own feet. I truly believe that and am glad to buy that. When ford puts out a full electric it will be a good car. I might be ignorant but I don't think its in their best interest to create a flathead division, as much as I agree it would be awesome!
While I agree with the fiscal responsibility of the Ford Motor Company they certainly have a rich heritage that they could easily cultivate. I love the new factory race cars like the stock and super stock Cobra Jet Mustangs. We have new Boss 302 and 351 blocks available for less than two grand. They exist because the power levels that are being achieved by today's racers far exceed the design limits of the original factory pieces. Ford recently released a new stronger block for the 1.6 Kent engines used in the classic Formula Ford racers. Apparently Ford's enthusiast division, Ford Racing, knows well how to bring good relatively low volume engine blocks to market and sell them at a profit. These are not made in third world industrial nations. They are Ford designed and cast by a Ford vendor from "diesel grade" cast iron. I will wager if Ford could do a block with a rotating assembly minus the cam and valvetrain for five thousand or less they could sell them. Everything but the block is available right now. Like I said if we could get a factory balanced engine with big cubes and more efficient airflow it would sure be tempting for that special build. When I think of all the time, steps and hassle that could save it undoubtedly would appeal to some car builders.

I am in no way suggestion that this would replace good old original Henry Ford iron, I am simply saying this could be a very attractive option for some people.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #51
Henry Floored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
I saw just the other day that Bendsen's (http://www.transmissionadapters.com/) just added a 302 to flathead-style Ford trans adapter. Nice to have that option instead of just SBC's.
Thank you! I actually own a 260/289 5 bolt SBF to early Ford adapter but always wondered if the later, more common, 6 bolt SBF would ever be produced. I am glad Bendsen's has seen fit to bring this out.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #52
Tinker

I kinda hope your right, it would be exciting. I can see how ohv race engine development would be beneficial to the ford brand. Guess either way I'll be driving my old block till I need a different one.

new ford development has a lot more to do with hp and efficiently. Much like the valve placement in the coyote engine.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:07 PM   #53
Wily Kyote

Quote:
You are correct, it fits a 6 bolt 302. It has never been installed, purchased from "Hnstray" on the Hamb 5-6 years ago, one he happened to have, he said at the time. It does not identify the manufacturer, only casting number AH-4.

Reviving a '41 half-ton that had been too long (and too carelessly-by me) parked, I thought to replace the ruined flathead with a 302. It still hasn't been done, and now a 302, 4R70W, and 8.8 are (at last) going in.

Last edited by Wily Kyote; 05-28-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Wily Kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #54
VeryTangled

Hello everyone, I work in a very multi-cultural environment, I'll say that up front.

If any manufacturer can produce a product that works for me, he can have my American dollars. Heaven forbid, but even if it's made from recycled armor plate from one of our thousands of decommissioned warships, if we (=elected people) were silly enough to scrap it.

The real issue, is buyers who say yes to inferior product. That teaches the manufacturer (not the real culprit, it's the middle-man who contracted him) that inferior is okay, let's try a little crappier for that next order, and repeat.

Manufacturers will produce goods that sell. If buyers don't want it, manufacturers will either perish or change until buyers do want the product.

-VT/JeffH
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:53 PM   #55
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Manufacturers will produce goods that sell. If buyers don't want it, manufacturers will either perish or change until buyers do want the product.

-VT/JeffH
I agree and that is one of the reasons that we see cheap knock-off parts like cheap Chinese rods, cranks, heads, manifolds - etc.. People keep buying the low-cost knock-off stuff . . . especially if the economy is bad or they're short on funds. Just think about how many 'H-Beam' rods are for sale by all the BIG manufacturers . . . they 'joined the crowd' because they didn't have any products that fit that price-driven part of the market. (High volume and low cost).

We/Us - the consumers . . . have made a lot of this possible - even though we hate doing it, bitch about doing it, talk about NOT doing it . . . but we go ahead and justify the purchases based on price. I try to NOT do it (at least not very often), but sometimes I go ahead due to cost savings, convenience or availability and trying to get something done. I can't believe how many crap products I've bought at Home Depot or Lowes . . . cause I had a 'project' that needed to get done and so I went to the place that was open on weekends, grimaced at the quality of half of what I looked at - buying the 'best of the worst' to get by.

With all the above said - there are a LOT of products being made back on shore . . . due to quality, delivery times, etc..
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:14 AM   #56
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Hello everyone, I work in a very multi-cultural environment, I'll say that up front.

If any manufacturer can produce a product that works for me, he can have my American dollars. Heaven forbid, but even if it's made from recycled armor plate from one of our thousands of decommissioned warships, if we (=elected people) were silly enough to scrap it.

The real issue, is buyers who say yes to inferior product. That teaches the manufacturer (not the real culprit, it's the middle-man who contracted him) that inferior is okay, let's try a little crappier for that next order, and repeat.

-VT/JeffH
Yep. sad but true. As long as people still shop at Wally World, still buy cheap quality off-shore tools and keep using inferior off-shore parts this will not change.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote