Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Original radiator mounting pads...

How many of you have dissassembled an unmolested, original Model A or AA and took notice of the radiator support "mounting" pads, A-8125?

I mean did you really take notice?

I just dissassembled the original radiator from my Feb./Mar 1929 Tudor Sedan and discoverd what looks to be "brake lining".

I compaired this material to that on my original Model AA emergency brake bands and sure enough...it is the same item...no doubt about it...same thickness...same width...same composition.

I remember Tom Wesenberg bringing this up a few months/years ago as he had the same thing on his early 1929 Tudor also...I think...Please correct me if I am wrong Tom...

I think Tom's Tudor was built in Twin Cities...Mine was built in Seattle.

Interesting... Huh MARC/MAFCA Judging Standards Committie Chairpeople!

Any comment from you guys?

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 07-04-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
rollingsculpture

Default Re: Original radiator mounting pads...

so with the thickness does that change the height of the radiator?
Old 07-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
Steve Wastler

My July/August 29 roadster didn't have the installed, but were in one of the many boxes. I have them somewhere, but they are as you describe. I haven't seen what's on the fordor yet..
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
Ford1931

I have a NOS set and they are very similar to the reproductions, only they are reinforced with cloth lining.
Ford1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Pluck, I think I told you it was my 2-23-29 Tudor, but it was my 9-27-28 Phaeton that has the brake lining for radiator pads. My Phaeton still has the original radiator.

My Tudor came to me with a cheap replacement 2 row radiator and repro plain rubber pads.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
RHD

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I was once given a piece of 'original' radiator packing. It didn't look like radiator packing to me. It looked like a small section of woven brake lining as described above. This packing had a small tag with the part number mentioned.
I have since heard of one other the same, but was told the part number was A-8126-R. Obviously replaced with a later version.
I would have thought that a material like this would be too hard to serve it's purpose. I now use 3/16" rubber.
RHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
Gary Karr

I have seen the brake shoe material pads as well as leather.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #8
spike

I have run acoss this material in at least 2 if not 3 cars that I have done work on, all 28 and 29 model a,s. I just assumed it was a farmer fix....lol
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
peters180a/170b

i have a set that i believe is originals that came off my car... 08-1930 ...looks to be body to frame welting and or open car door straps..
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
d.j. moordigian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
A-8125?

I just dissassembled the original radiator from my Feb./Mar 1929 Tudor Sedan and discoverd what looks to be "brake lining".

I compaired this material to that on my original Model AA emergency brake bands and sure enough...it is the same item...no doubt about it...same thickness...same width...same composition.

Pluck
Well....it's the KISS thing at Ford.
According to Brattons catalog, the AA e-brake lining and the service
brake lining on cars and light commercials are the same thickness and
width.
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #11
Special Coupe Frank

Just my humble opinion, but I think the purpose of the "fabric" or "insulator" between the lower radiator mounting and the frame was as an anti-squeak, similar to the function of the frame welting.

If Ford was winding-up with piles of "chunks" or short lengths of brake-lining left-over from brake shoes, I could easily envision old Henry deciding to use 'em up as radiator mounting pads...

Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
modelAtony

Quote:
How many of you have dissassembled an unmolested, original Model A or AA and took notice of the radiator support "mounting" pads, A-8125?

I remember Tom Wesenberg bringing this up a few months/years ago as he had the same thing on his early 1929 Tudor also...I think...Please correct me if I am wrong Tom...

I think Tom's Tudor was built in Twin Cities...Mine was built in Seattle.

Interesting... Huh MARC/MAFCA Judging Standards Committie Chairpeople!

Any comment from you guys?

Pluck
Yes , My 31 tudor has pieces that look like old fire hose. Now that you say brakeline it probally is. have fun modelAtony Lafayette, LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #13
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Any others out there with this fiind?

Pluck
Old 07-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
ericr

this is all puzzling to me. I know you guys are reporting this accurately but it is odd to me that the company would use brake lining for radiator pads since it provides so little cushion. could that have been an unauthorized action by an assembly plant that simply ran out of the correct item?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #15
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
this is all puzzling to me. I know you guys are reporting this accurately but it is odd to me that the company would use brake lining for radiator pads since it provides so little cushion. could that have been an unauthorized action by an assembly plant that simply ran out of the correct item?
Puzzling to all of us...

I do not know but good question but it seems the practice was all over the board (different assembly plants throught the country).

Maybe it was one of those unknown "Authorized" FORD Service Letters to the dealers that never made it to the "KNOWN" Service letters that we know of.

Maybe they were "kits" at the time when the radiator was removed for some reason or the other in the past 80+ years and the original pads were replaced with these...Who knows.

It would be interesting to me if all those "known" pads that are out there match up to each other AND what assembly plant was the car from.

Many scenarios here to be considered. BUT...It is interesting for sure.

Ahhhhhh....The mystery continues.

Pluck
Old 07-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #16
Walt Bratton

After reading these posts I went into my collection of blue prints and found 2 prints for the radiator support pad Ford # A-8125.

The first print is dated 11-9-29 and calls for a material called "electrite" or its equivalent. I did a quick Google search and was unable to find out exactly what electrite was but I did not get any results.

The second print has the most recent date of 10-2-29 and the material specification on the print is for OAK TANNED LEATHER - SOFT, but there is a note below that says when available use either surplus brake shoe lining (after pressing to 1/8" - 5/32" thick), or salvage belting 1/8" - 5/32" thick.
I hope this helps answer some of your questions.
Walt Bratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #17
d.j. moordigian

I found this webbing at a yard sale....thought of the car when I saw it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1443.jpg (49.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 07-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #18
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bratton View Post
After reading these posts I went into my collection of blue prints and found 2 prints for the radiator support pad Ford # A-8125.

The first print is dated 11-9-29 and calls for a material called "electrite" or its equivalent. I did a quick Google search and was unable to find out exactly what electrite was but I did not get any results.

The second print has the most recent date of 10-2-29 and the material specification on the print is for OAK TANNED LEATHER - SOFT, but there is a note below that says when available use either surplus brake shoe lining (after pressing to 1/8" - 5/32" thick), or salvage belting 1/8" - 5/32" thick.
Hi Walt,

Thanks for the data. It brings two questions to mind. First, are the dates above reversed? If not it would indicate the leather may have been dropped quickly. It seems to me leather would be a poor choice due to the reaction it has to moisture.

Second, does the drawing showing "Electrite" include an "M" number (material spec number)? If so we may be able to find out just what it is.

Quote:
Any others out there with this find?

Pluck
I was thinking you got the engineering release on A-8125 a few years back. I guess I'll have to try to remember just who it was!

These came off and early '31 Town sedan 30+ years ago. I should have taken a pic of the back side which is flattened and shows the embedded brass wire particles.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #19
Walt Bratton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
Hi Walt,

Thanks for the data. It brings two questions to mind. First, are the dates above reversed? If not it would indicate the leather may have been dropped quickly. It seems to me leather would be a poor choice due to the reaction it has to moisture.

Second, does the drawing showing "Electrite" include an "M" number (material spec number)? If so we may be able to find out just what it is.

I was thinking you got the engineering release on A-8125 a few years back. I guess I'll have to try to remember just who it was!

These came off and early '31 Town sedan 30+ years ago. I should have taken a pic of the back side which is flattened and shows the embedded brass wire particles.

Marco You are correct The Oak Tanned has an early date of 11-4-27 and a late date of 10-2-29. While the one made of Electrite has an early date of 9-30-29 and a late date of 11-9-29. I don't know if there is another copy date after the 11-9-29 though. There was no material spec number after the description.
Walt Bratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #20
d.j. moordigian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bratton View Post

Marco and Mr. Bratton,

Which, I think, may be the same material and problem. The "anti-squeek"
material above the rear cross member, that is riveted too the pans on
some of the cars. I would call it "webbing", but I guess it could "belting".
I haven't looked for the part number....but I will now. The stuff I posted
a photo of falls in the 1/8" compressed too 5/32" in it's natural state.