Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
31dan

Default Spark Advance Spark Retard

I'm thinking of switching to electronic egnition. I live in a very hilly area. I am constantly changing my spark. I believe the timing is set correctly. If I change can I keep my original distributor cap and wires. I have a 6 volt system. Willl this change help on advancing and retarding the spark. I have about 2 years experience in driving my Model A but continue to struggle with this system.. Is one electronic system any better than another.
Thanks
Dan
31dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
1930artdeco

Default Re: Spark Advance Spark Retard

I run a stock system in the hills and mts. out here and I leave mine advanced. If I loose speed I just down shift and have no problems. As for the cap I think you loose those but not sure.

Mike
Old 05-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
Duffy1

Ditto 1930artdeco .A fellow just joined our club and bought a 31 sedan and was so confused about operating the spark control that he put in a electronic ignition so he would not have to operate the spark control . So much for the tacka ta, tacka ta,tacka ta, sound which, to me, is the signature sound of the model A . Kind of like the Harley Sound .
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
marc hildebrant

Dan,

Check that the timing is correct and then enjoy the car and the manual method.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
willobs

Am I wrong The Electronic Ing only replaces the points and condenser! side note my 29 Sedan trouble free for 3 years except one trip the Electronic Ing failed. replaced with points and condenser never missed a beat since.
willobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
31Tudor

The electronic ignition does not have an influence on the adjusting the spark. A distributor with centrifical advance does, but just changing the electronics will not do what you are suggesting.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
mccsix

Nu rex has a centrifugal automatic spark advance kit that works good. Installed under the valve cover plate on the dis shaft. It adjusts the spark based on engine speed. Couple of our club members have it and swear by it.

USN
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

What compression ratio head do you have?

With a stock head I'd think you could start the engine, then pull the spark half way down and drive up and down the hills without trouble. Over 30 MPH I usually have the spark about 3/4 down.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
Dave in MN

Check out the Zipper by FSI
It's electronic, has an advance system and uses your stock distributor body, cap and wires.

http://www.fsignitions.com/FSI_ZIPPER.html

Good Day,
Dave Gerold

Last edited by Dave in MN; 05-03-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
Check out the Zipper by FSI
It's electronic, has an advance system and uses your stock distributor body.

http://www.fsignitions.com/FSI_ZIPPER.html

Good Day,
Dave Gerold
Close but not exactly. The site says "is encased in a stock-appearing cast-iron housing"

The result is the same, a stock looking distributor. I did not want someone to get the idea that they were installing stuff in original bodies.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
Purdy Swoft

I crank mine with the spark fully retarded. I drive them with the spark fully advanced. I do this with stock head or 5.9 head. If its lugging you need to retard the spark as needed or down shift or both. I never lug and try and keep the momentum built up. the ones with the 5.9 heads don't look back at the hills. I f you don't want to use manual advance. Mallory makes a good points style distributor with centrifugal advance My daughters coupe has been running a mallory dual point distributor since 94 and has been maintainance free accept replaceing the condenser a few times. If you want electronic type performance with a points style distributor you can use a performance 40.000 volt coil. I use a Pertronix flame thrower coil on my original style distributor.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
31dan

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I looked at the Zipper and liked it. I didn't think about the sound of the original. I don't think I want too lose that. I'm going to have to think real hard on this issue.
Again Thanks
31dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
bhiland

I like mine regular and original.
bhiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #14
Will N

One of the joys of driving a Model A is how involved you have to be in its operation. Manually adjusting the timing, fiddling with the gas adjustment, double clutching to downshift- all these things connect the operator to the machine. IMHO, unless a person has some physical limitations, if anyone finds doing these things tedious and feels the need to alter the Model A to make it less so, well, that person has chosen the wrong car to fit their antique auto needs.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #15
Brian in Wheeling

Will N:
I have to agree with you. Unless a person is limited in some way keep it original. Everyone wants to make things "easier" or have to think less. Just drive more and soon you won't even be aware of the "task" of enjoying a model A the original way!
Brian
Brian in Wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #16
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will N View Post
One of the joys of driving a Model A is how involved you have to be in its operation. Manually adjusting the timing, fiddling with the gas adjustment, double clutching to downshift- all these things connect the operator to the machine. IMHO, unless a person has some physical limitations, if anyone finds doing these things tedious and feels the need to alter the Model A to make it less so, well, that person has chosen the wrong car to fit their antique auto needs.

Will N captures what it is all about if you are “loving the driving experience”. I have a '28 CC pickup and a '29 Phaeton that I enjoy just the way he describes. But, respectfully, I don't agree with your assessment that our original poster has chosen the wrong car to enjoy...Usually when we drive our Model A's, I do all the driving. I tried to teach Jean how to start and drive the car managing the spark and listening for all the indicators of when to make the small adjustments needed. She did not understand it and I could see it was just not her idea of fun, especially when I made suggestions as to how to drive. Any of you guys that have been married for any amount of time understand what I am talking about. I am planning a road trip this coming summer and my wife will need to do some of the driving. She is not into the same driving experience as I am. If I am to get any rest while she is behind the wheel, I need to know she is not wrecking the engine when we are thousands of miles from home. Constantly asking her to adjust the spark is not going to work. (I am usually optimistic but not overly so!) With the higher compression head I have, spark setting is very critical; I have installed a centrifugal advance distributor in the car we will be using for the trip. I know in my heart I have chosen the right car, so again, I respectfully disagree with you. Life expectations…marriage…friendships and old cars…sometimes, one needs to compromise. Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 05-03-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #17
Purdy Swoft

Dave hit the nail on the head and I agree completely. People have the RIGHT to make their own choices. I've owned and driven model A's for most of my life. When driving the model A's they become an extension of myself. I can feel when the spark needs to be adjusted. I think that a centrifugal advance distributor is good for the ladies,they can't always understand the dangers of lugging the engine in high gear.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #18
P.S.

My wife has no problems with the spark advance.

Suggesting one purchased the wrong car for their antique auto expectations is as bad as suggesting they chose the wrong woman for their spousal expectations.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #19
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Close but not exactly. The site says "is encased in a stock-appearing cast-iron housing"

The result is the same, a stock looking distributor. I did not want someone to get the idea that they were installing stuff in original bodies.

Mike, I beg to differ. The original poster was asking about using his "original distributor cap and wires." I was taking it one step further and added the stock "distributor body" could also be used. What you describe as being different is the cast-iron metal housing not the distributor body. So what I originally said was not close...it was exact.
But ... I understand what you meant and your intent. Have a good day!
Old 05-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #20
dam555

Dave and Purdy have it right. Not everyone is mechanically coordinated as others. Should they be denied the chance to enjoy an A?
dam555 is offline   Reply With Quote