Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2018, 10:07 PM   #21
40 Deluxe

Default Re: Car died 2 blocks from home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
Earlier this year, I made a right turn into a grocery store parking lot in my '55 Courier wagon and she died. I coasted into an empty parking spot. But the engine started right up again and ran fine about 30 seconds after I had turned that corner. I immediately became suspicious that possibly the car battery had enough sediment to slide over to one side when I turned that corner and build up touching the bottom plates and shorting out the battery. But once the car had levelled off again in the parking lot, the sediment settled back down flat away from the bottom of the plates.
After I got back home, I took the battery out (it was just barely three years old) and took it down to Autozone to be checked. They said it checked out fine. But I didn't want to mess with it. I bought a new battery, and it has never happened again.
Hmm, "sediment" build up thick/heavy enough to "short out" the battery? How fast did you turn that corner in order to move that much sediment? Did you then make a hard left turn to move the sediment back in place? With so much plate material laying in the bottom of the battery, how was it able to pass a load test?

I suspect that the problem was elsewhere and you bumped a wire or connection while R&R'ing the battery.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:54 PM   #22
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Hmm, "sediment" build up thick/heavy enough to "short out" the battery?
You seem to assume the bottom plate is inches away from the bottom of the battery case. What if it is only 1/4 inch or less?

Quote:
How fast did you turn that corner in order to move that much sediment? Did you then make a hard left turn to move the sediment back in place?
It was a hard right off the main drag and I was probably going 25-30mph. I did need to make a soft left coasting into a parking spot, but 30 seconds later, the sediment apparently settled enough to allow the engine to start right up again.
Quote:
With so much plate material laying in the bottom of the battery, how was it able to pass a load test?
It did pass a load test and the battery would also start the car without fail. However, the engine died on a turn more than once, probably due to sediment bunching up opposite the direction of the turn, shorting out the battery. It is not possible to simulate the inertia experienced on a turn during a load test.
Quote:
I suspect that the problem was elsewhere and you bumped a wire or connection while R&R'ing the battery.
I checked all the battery connections including the battery to ignition switch connection the first time it happened. All battery cables, wiring and connections were clean, tight and in pristine condition.
I have not had any problem since replacing the battery and I have made the exact same turn at the grocery store parking lot several times since then many times. I have absolutely no doubt that the old battery was shorting out on turns.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #23
Grumpy Rick

I had a similar problem last year on my T-Bird. Checked out EVERYTHING, got new coil, resistor, condenser, points were burned and got new ones, Carb and fuel pump checked out.

Got really good advice here, and tried it all. Cannot say for sure what the problem was, but I finally put in a Pertronix ignition and matching coil in a later 292 distributor from E-bay. Eliminated condenser, points, and resistor.

Problem solved.
Grumpy Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:55 PM   #24
40 Deluxe

Question Re: Car died 2 blocks from home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
You seem to assume the bottom plate is inches away from the bottom of the battery case. What if it is only 1/4 inch or less?

It was a hard right off the main drag and I was probably going 25-30mph. I did need to make a soft left coasting into a parking spot, but 30 seconds later, the sediment apparently settled enough to allow the engine to start right up again.

It did pass a load test and the battery would also start the car without fail. However, the engine died on a turn more than once, probably due to sediment bunching up opposite the direction of the turn, shorting out the battery. It is not possible to simulate the inertia experienced on a turn during a load test.

I checked all the battery connections including the battery to ignition switch connection the first time it happened. All battery cables, wiring and connections were clean, tight and in pristine condition.
I have not had any problem since replacing the battery and I have made the exact same turn at the grocery store parking lot several times since then many times. I have absolutely no doubt that the old battery was shorting out on turns.
Okay, I need to learn to never say never, I guess. But in 40+ years as a mechanic plus growing up on a farm, I never saw this. It been awhile since I've seen the inside of a battery, but it seems like there used to be at least 1/2" or so space for sediment. Maybe some plates were loose. I've always assumed (yes,assumed) that battery sediment was semi-solid, like sludge in an oil pan and couldn't slosh around. Anyway, if a new battery fixed, the old one was kaput.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:14 PM   #25
Daves55Sedan

I doubt they are leaving that much space at the bottom of the battery anymore now that everything has become more condensed to save money on material. That battery was just three years old. It was an Exide battery from Rural King (Farm supply store).
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:09 PM   #26
L5wolvesf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Rick View Post
Got really good advice here, and tried it all. Cannot say for sure what the problem was, but I finally put in a Pertronix ignition and matching coil in a later 292 distributor from E-bay. Eliminated condenser, points, and resistor.

Problem solved.
I'm going to second this recommendation. I have a Pertronix ignition in an off road race car and it has survived the beating. They are a very good upgrade.
L5wolvesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:40 PM   #27
50fordcoupeman

Grumpy.............I too run a Pertronix in a 302 in my avatar. Have been pleased with it for 4 yrs now. Was recommended to me by a member of the Portland OR Thunderbird Club.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:07 AM   #28
Ford56

Just an update for anyone who might be interested; I've taken out the car again, yesterday, and drove it around town, making several 90 degree turns, and even a 180 degree turn, and there haven't been any problems. The car starts right up, every time. I am not really convinced that the original problem was the neutral safety switch, but, the tightening of the loose bolts is the only thing that has been done, so, maybe it was the cause. How that could affect a car while it was driving fine, in the middle of a turn, I don't understand. I still suspect an electrical component, like the ballast resister, or coil, but, they checked out okay. So, I'll continue to keep my phone w/me on any drive, and keep a sharp eye out for any possible sputter, hesitation, or out of the ordinary noise. Thanks to all for the comments.
Ford56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 10:02 AM   #29
ford32tudor

Onwards and upwards my friend
ford32tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 06:28 AM   #30
Ford56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford32tudor View Post
Onwards and upwards my friend
Thx for the interest. This is a five year old thread, but, as an update, I've had the car out many many times since then, and no problems. So, I just let well enough alone. Haven't done anything to it and it's running fine.
Ford56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 07:29 AM   #31
Merc Cruzer

If it aint broke, don't fix it!
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote