Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #21
ora masters

Default Re: convert babbitt to insert bearings

tom reason for asking about oil presser i have a 34 coupe just got this year already restored engine is 34 rebuilt by a antique engine rebiider in Chico CAL that is all i know about the engine it holds 50 pounds oil presser wish makes me think it was changed to inserts thanks ORA
ora masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #22
dewickt

Does anyone know of a good shop to re-babbit bearings in the south east, the last shop that did babbit here in Knoxville closed 20 years ago. I have a good 35 block that needs lots of machine work, babbits, crank turned, and punched out to 60 over, some I can get done locally but no babbit work.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #23
JM 35 Sedan

The 21 stud babbitt engine in my '35 fordor sedan (Avatar car) had the babbitt poured and all machine work done by Schwam's in Strasberg, PA. He used shims on the mains of my engine just like he does on the Model A engines he builds.
The information in this post on poured babbitt vs. insert mains has been interesting reading.
At the recent EFV-8C/A GNM in Lake Tahoe, we had a seminar/presentation on babbitting bearings. The gentleman giving this seminar was very knowledgeable on this subject. I only wish I had asked more questions about things like durability of babbitt vs. insert bearings. I'm hoping I saved his contact information.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #24
flatheadute1934
BANNED

H. And H want about 500 to do an engine and they machine the crank for a center thrust as the original had a rear thrust the one I convert I used a rear thrust bronze insert.
flatheadute1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #25
flatheadute1934
BANNED

If the Babbitt is done right 60-100k same as inserts most cars this is fine. But if you run it low on oil and take a main out the insert are easier to fix afterwards. The lb engine you can get with main bearings for the same price as it will cost to machine the 33-35 engine
flatheadute1934 is offline   Reply With Quote