Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-30-2015, 09:04 PM   #21
estout81
BANNED

Default Re: new member

Y-Blockhead a 292 and 302 have almost the same torque at 2600 RPM.
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:22 PM   #22
rowens55

Evening folks, wow, you guys are great!! I am SOOO glad I joined!! First off I want to thank you ALL for the kind and complimentary things you have said about my crown vic. By the way my wife and I have named her Diana, cause she's our princess (I know, gag!) but we just love her! I haven't yet had time to check the type of clock she has, but this weekend I will absolutely check it out. Having only had her a out 3 weeks, and she's parked off sight in a much more secure area than is available here, weekends are all I have. I believe that between my wife, a few close friends that I trust, and all you good folks, I will leave her as original as I can. Disc brakes I think will be a prudent upgrade for a daily driver. I have seen an add in the Fomoco Times for a disc brake kit that seems reasonably priced. Have any of you used this kit, or know anyone that has? It's from auto city classics for $799. Thanks for your feed back
rowens55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:38 PM   #23
frank long island

I just got a conversion setup from them for my 64 ranchero going to 5 lug on the 6 cyl spindles seem like good guys answered all my questions you also have other options Granada spindles work with a little work others on here will chime in I did the Granada swap along with a ranger rear for 4 wheel disks and added a power brake booster on my wagon
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:04 PM   #24
rowens55

Yes, I have read about doing the Granada thing but I understand that some machine work is required. Also that means tracking down the rest of the required parts and reconditioning them or finding new ones. I think the kit is the way to go for me. I do have a professional brake man in the family (my son in-law) and he is chomping on the bit to get his hands dirty on her. I figured if the company was good enough to advertise in the assoc mg, then they were probably ok. It is good to know that someone else has used their product is satisfied with the results. It'll be my next order. Thanks
rowens55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:06 AM   #25
Randall Hornback

Wecome, let me say you have a super looking 55 Ford Crown Vic. My friend has a 55 Ford Crown Vic. and i have 56 Crown vic we enjoy them very much, and people look them over at car shows and cruises we have here in Mo. Good luck getting it the way you want it.
Randall
Randall Hornback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:38 AM   #26
Ricks56

Great looking Crown! Keep it as original as you can. Most of all, have fun with it!
Ricks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:35 AM   #27
54vicky

in regards to some of you electrical items you should check the fuses to each unlike modern cars our old girls have no central fuse panel.the power to each will run from acc post usually then to each item requiring power you should be able to find by tracing from each item back to ignition switch.try to use an led light as a reg bulb will be very hot and uncomfortable under dash.also unless you are a contortionist have chiropractors number on hand as trying lay on your back with your butt jambed against seat is to say the least not a pleasant experience,you will find it a lot easier to remove the front seat while you may think why remove seat after you attempt it you will understand.as to clock if not electric as others have stated it may only require winding along with cleaning.you will find lots of help on here as well as Jeff Bs site on the HAMB under social groups 52-59 fords another very good one for engine related questions is YBlocksforever.my vote is keeping it original as well.as said by others very nice start to this hobby (possibly obsession LOL)
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:12 PM   #28
rowens55

my vote is keeping it original as well.as said by others very nice start to this hobby (possibly obsession LOL)[/QUOTE]

TOOOOO LATE!!!!!! Already IS an obsession!!! (jus look at my avatar) :0)
Old 03-31-2015, 11:32 PM   #29
mercman from oz

I love the 1955 and 1956 Ford Fairlane Crown Victorias. This is one that has made the journey to Australia. This one is a fairly recent import. Thanks for sharing the photos of your car Rowan.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:43 PM   #30
mercman from oz

Here is another 1955 Ford Fairlane Crown Victoria that has come to reside in Australia. These Crowns are very sought after models around the world. My advise to you Rowan is to keep it stock. They are truly beautiful looking cars.
Ford did have a "Better Idea" back then.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:37 AM   #31
mercman from oz

Hi Rowan, Judging by the picture that you have beside your name, you should audition for the next Toyota Commercial? You do good.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:34 AM   #32
rowens55

Thanks merman! I do truly love my 55!! I don't know if mine will ever be able to look as BEAUTIFUL as the ones in your pics but she's a beauty to me!! I HAVE heard and read that many 55s and 56s have made there way down under. Someday after I have enjoyed her for the rest of my lifetime i hope my son will pick up the mantle and love her cor the rest of his!! And then his son and so on n so on n so on........when I bought this car I was told there were only aprox 300 of these (55s) left in the states. Does anyone know if that rumor has any validity? After joining the crown vic assoc, y-blocks forever and now the Barn, I find that hard to believe. Anyway....again many thanks to all that encouraged me to keep her stock and original. By the way merman, is it true that when when ya pour a frothy brew down there the duds circle counter clockwise?!?! :0)
Old 04-01-2015, 06:38 AM   #33
rowens55

[QUOTE=mercman from oz;1061030]Hi Rowan, Judging by the picture that you have beside your name, you should audition for the next Toyota Commercial? You do good

TOYOTA!?!?!?!?! NEVER!!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2015, 07:07 AM   #34
Randall Hornback

Good morning Mercman there in Australia a BIG THANK-YOU for more photos on the Fords there in Australia. Beautiful cars glad they made it there, you all enjoy them like we do here.
Thanks Again
Randall
Randall Hornback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #35
mercman from oz

I don't know anything about frothy brews, as I don't drink, but when you pull the plug to let the bath water go, I believe that it flows clockwise.