Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
1crosscut

Default Horn fix that might help others.

The original Sparton horn on my 29 AA has always been a really nice sounding horn with a crisp, fast ahooga. A couple of weeks ago I was doing some routine maintenance on the truck and as a part of that I put a couple drops of light oil on the front felt and the shaft at the rear. This last week the horn started to progressively get slower and started to sound more and more like a sick cow. I cleaned and polished the commutator as in the past with fine sand paper but that didn't help. Checked ground, connections, played with the adjustment etc... with no luck.
Any how to make a long story short what I found was that the oiled felt was the problem. I used a can of brake cleaner with the long thin straw attached to the nozzle to reach in and wet the felt. After that I used a small flat bladed screw driver and pressed a rag to the felt sopping out the liquefied oil. I also saturated a bit of the rag and worked it around the shaft to the rear of the commutator and cleaned the commutator too. Didn't take much time and effort to get it all cleaned out and now the horn sounds like a champ again.
Perhaps a good share of the horns that don't sound particularly good might just be over oiled?? It seems logical when a horn isn't sounding right to grab the oil can and give it a few drops. I'd be interested to see if others with sickly sounding horns benefit from cleaning out the old oil and starting fresh like this.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:28 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Horn fix that might help others.

The original horn brushes look like a compressed brass screen. I saw a commutator worn out by dirt and oil embedded in the brushes, which then acted like grinding compound.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:21 AM   #3
Rowdy
BANNED

The commutator in my Dad's horn is like that. It works for now, but I will eventually need to find a different armerature for it or find some one that can replace the commutator. Rod
Old 07-03-2015, 02:59 PM   #4
Henry1953

My horn is sick sounding and doesn't get any better no matter how I adjust it. I am going to try your suggestion. Thanks for the tip.
Henry1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:48 PM   #5
1crosscut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry1953 View Post
My horn is sick sounding and doesn't get any better no matter how I adjust it. I am going to try your suggestion. Thanks for the tip.
I hope it works. Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:20 PM   #6
ericr

in reply to your situation, yes, I have had over-oiled felts somehow spread oil onto the commutator and detract from horn operation.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote