Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2015, 04:57 PM   #1
Rojo

Default '29 Horn rod installation

Can anybody advise the easiest way to replace the horn rod in my '29 Tudor? I have a 7 tooth gearbox. Can the box be loosened up just enough to drop the column an inch or two lower to fit the new rod without bending? Any suggestions appreciated.
Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:39 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: '29 Horn rod installation

Not really. By the time you remove pedals, floorboards, bolts, etc. you are gonna find that rod just goes on forever as it is coming out the steering shaft! I personally believe it is just as easy to remove the entire column and then remove it on the bench.

BTW, welcome to Fordbarn!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:28 PM   #3
700rpm

I have done this with the column in the car, but it is a pain. Like Brent, I think it would have been only slightly more work and ultimately easier if I'd removed it to the workbench.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:48 PM   #4
larrys40

I have done this a number of times on coupe without removing the column. Made a simple job a lot quicker... You still have to remove the floorboard, steering column bracket/rubber, remove the steering arm on the steering shaft and the two bolts holding the box.... you can usually pull the box out of the frame hole enough to tweak it down and point it out slightly so the horn rod will just clear the door opening. It can be done.... as I have done it! Just make sure you have a good horn rod you are putting in it, check it for proper electrical connectivity with a volt ohmeter between ground and the connector at the bottom. You should have very little resistance if any. Also, make sure you have the small brass light rod bushing on the upper end of the steering shaft. It helps in multiple ways to keep the rod from vibrating, and makes for a better electrical connection between the rod and shaft.
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #5
jkassay

Not sure if it is like my 30 coupe, but pretty much had to remove everyting like others had mentioned. But I was able to remove the starter and tilt the column enough to get the rod out the side door. It was like a 4 hour job just to put in a 50 cent anti rattle bushing! Good luck.
jkassay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:32 AM   #6
Rojo

Thanks all for the advice and welcome! I'm new to this forum but have had this '29 in our family since my Grandfather bought it. I learned to drive in the A in the late 50's and have also drilled many a water well with it here in Texas. It was a daily driver up until the late 60's, when a vacation to Vietnam put a stop to my use of the A. My dad had a "restoration" done in the late 80's but as I am discovering, it was more of a cosmetic workover.....she only has 32,000 original miles but I decided to go through the car and finally address a few of the things that need fixing. While checking out the lower end of the horn rod a couple days ago, found the light switch full of grease and oil so decided to fix. When the grounding piece on the bottom of the horn rod was found broken, it turned into a slightly more complicated job...I really appreciate the help here and love working on the car....decided to keep it in my family for another 86 years! Again, thanks for all the great comments and advice and sure I will be returning for more help soon!
Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:23 PM   #7
29spcoupe

I was able to remove the horn rod by removing the pitman arm, disconnecting the steering box from the frame, and removing the steering column clamp at the gas tank. Then I removed the floorboards and was able to pull the horn rod out through the drivers door. Did not remove the starter. Can't remember if I removed the pedals, but I don't think I had to. John
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote