Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #41
jimalabam

Default Re: How to decide when to throw in the towel?

In my 51 years of Model A'ing, I have seen or heard of you situation many times. 1 - as advised above, timetout then decide, "What do I really want to do." Seems as tho, you really want a driver NOW. Maybe your answer will be - SELL the project, and buy a turn-key driver of some sort. Heh ! I like Chevy p/u's too. OR trade for a drivable Model A, OR sell and sit out for awhile until your situation changes. IF you are a true CAR BUFF - Model A, Restro Rod, Pick Up or what ever, THE BUG will never leave you. AGAIN. now is Time Out for reflection and deciding what you really want. GOOD LUCK with your decision. Jim Langley...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:44 PM   #42
edmondclinton
BANNED

Originally Posted by edmondclinton
Regardless of what these men are telling you on this message board including myself, only you know what's best for you.

However, from what I've read you've pretty much had enough at this point in time and want to get rid of your A. If so, then do it! ... and don't worry about it.

There should always be Model A's for sale. You may have to pay more money but they will be available. And next time, if the desire comes back to you, consider the following; especially if you lack the skills needed for a do-it-yourself restoration or think (or know) that you may not have the ability to learn them.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard do-it-yourself restorers say, "If I had it to do all over I'd buy an already done, older restoration Model A ready to drive ...."

Now to throw you a curve ball ....

I've also heard this many times:

"I could kick myself in the ass for selling that car ..."

But like I said, only you know what's best for you

[QUOTE=Model A Fan;1023420Yeah, and if I sell it, have a mortgage, kids
etc...when would I be able to buy one again? Probably a long time off. Hence, that is part of my thought process. [/QUOTE]

You act as though you're just barely going to make enough money to get by and that's all. What a shame for a young man to have such a negative outlook. Who knows what opportunities may come your way?
edmondclinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:15 PM   #43
SSsssteamer

The car in my avatar is our 1930 Standard Phaeton. Five years ago, I bought literally "a pile of parts" from a neighbor (John McNab) up the road. He was dying from asbestoses and wasn't expected to live very long. I told him that I would put the restoration on the fast track so that he could ride in it with me. In the parts pile I got extra engines and etc. I traded the extra parts off to a friend (Eric Thompson) in exchange for him rebuilding the phaeton's running gear. I handled the engine, body work, and upholstery work. We started work in October and the phaeton was turn key the second week of January. John died 10 days earlier. So... It goes to show that a restoration can be done in record time. Weather is a factor too, as I also belong to the AARC club of Bellingham and I know what you are talking about. Sure, you see the members of our club with their drivers. But behind every driver you see, there are at least two car projects that you haven't seen yet being worked on at their homes. I hope that you finish your project. The last roadster that I did from scratch, took me about three months to do and I didn't have over $2,000 in it when I was finished with it. To start with, I bought the roadster body for $125 and it had lots of problems. Pat Farrell of Sedro-Woolley
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:35 AM   #44
slackcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
There is a family around the corner from me. They fancy themselves 'restorers' In their backyard there is a succession of vehicles they have worked on; 6 of them to be exact. Each one has been carefully taken apart. None of them have ever been put back together. Ever. In 20 yrs. And they never will. They lack the skills required. But they keep buying more cars 'to work on'. Taking something apart is easy. Not so putting it back together.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.

There are 3 of these for every 1 that gets it on the road. Sad waste.

My advice: Step back and take a breath, don't dwell on it. You sound young. Set your priorities: Family, Career, Hobby(one hobby). Stick to it and don't get sidetracked. This is a long term process but in the future you will be in a better financial position to address your car's needs and your desires.

jmho
Old 01-29-2015, 12:22 PM   #45
Model A Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmondclinton View Post
You act as though you're just barely going to make enough money to get by and that's all. What a shame for a young man to have such a negative outlook. Who knows what opportunities may come your way?
I try to live below my means and I don't want to be finically overstretched because I was trying to buy land, build a car and raise a family. I just see so many people here and elsewhere who have their car that they'll fix up but they don't do it because of kids or their wife doesn't want to let him drop the cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSsssteamer View Post
The car in my avatar is our 1930 Standard Phaeton. Five years ago, I bought literally "a pile of parts" from a neighbor (John McNab) up the road. He was dying from asbestoses and wasn't expected to live very long. I told him that I would put the restoration on the fast track so that he could ride in it with me. In the parts pile I got extra engines and etc. I traded the extra parts off to a friend (Eric Thompson) in exchange for him rebuilding the phaeton's running gear. I handled the engine, body work, and upholstery work. We started work in October and the phaeton was turn key the second week of January. John died 10 days earlier. So... It goes to show that a restoration can be done in record time. Weather is a factor too, as I also belong to the AARC club of Bellingham and I know what you are talking about. Sure, you see the members of our club with their drivers. But behind every driver you see, there are at least two car projects that you haven't seen yet being worked on at their homes. I hope that you finish your project. The last roadster that I did from scratch, took me about three months to do and I didn't have over $2,000 in it when I was finished with it. To start with, I bought the roadster body for $125 and it had lots of problems. Pat Farrell of Sedro-Woolley
The AARC is a nice club, don't get me wrong, but it just seems that the majority of the members are more into cruises and BBQs. If there was a group of younger guys (or gals) who were interested in working on cars, that'd be really cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackcat View Post
There are 3 of these for every 1 that gets it on the road. Sad waste.

My advice: Step back and take a breath, don't dwell on it. You sound young. Set your priorities: Family, Career, Hobby(one hobby). Stick to it and don't get sidetracked. This is a long term process but in the future you will be in a better financial position to address your car's needs and your desires.

jmho
I am going to tackle the project one step at a time. Just basically start at the cowl, repair what needs to be repaired and then work my way back. I have a sandblaster that I may try to get working so I can blast up the body and parts for getting it welded. On the HAMB, one member suggested just doing one thing productive a day, even if it is small. That's what I've resolved to do.
Model A Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #46
BlueSunoco

Model A Fan...... take it easy w/ the sandblaster especially on the sheetmetal. Maybe use a softer media.

I had an antique visible gas pump sandblasted years ago, and the guy that did it wasn't very experienced. He ruined the sheet metal 'skins' and they WERE mint originals. They curled up real badly, ruined them I never forgot that.

Good luck on what you do keep us posted.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:44 PM   #47
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
Model A Fan...... take it easy w/ the sandblaster especially on the sheetmetal. Maybe use a softer media.

I had an antique visible gas pump sandblasted years ago, and the guy that did it wasn't very experienced. He ruined the sheet metal 'skins' and they WERE mint originals. They curled up real badly, ruined them I never forgot that.

Good luck on what you do keep us posted.
That guy must have used a bridge beam blaster. As thick as the pump skins I've seen were, you sure wouldn't hurt them with my blaster. I use Black Beauty from Menards and about 40 pounds pressure at the 1/8" nozzle, and a couple inches distance.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:07 PM   #48
Karl

There are many ways to restore a vehicle. You don't have to do it yourself
You can do a restoration where your sole input is signing the checks. That can work out to be expensive but it works! I can't weld either so Body work gets sent out -one day I will learn -however at this point in time I work 70 hour weeks. I have the cash to pay for someone else to do the work and no time to learn. Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:31 PM   #49
Karl

"I try to live below my means and I don't want to be finically overstretched because I was trying to buy land, build a car and raise a family."

Be patient it all comes with time. -Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:11 AM   #50
Skibb

As hobbies go, when it stops being fun it's time to move on. Making space in the head is just a important as making space in the garage
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:13 PM   #51
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
That guy must have used a bridge beam blaster. As thick as the pump skins I've seen were, you sure wouldn't hurt them with my blaster. I use Black Beauty from Menards and about 40 pounds pressure at the 1/8" nozzle, and a couple inches distance.
Ya gotta be right on that Tom. I should have been suspicious when, even though he was a sandblaster and a local body shop recommended him, it took the guy almost 4 months to do the job. He kept telling me he was waiting for a nozzle tip from New York to show up, it was on order.

A tool and die maker at work put me onto another guy that he had used, and he did a fantastic job with a two or three day turnaround! Found out we played basketball against each other back in high school. (Thought he looked familiar) He was a short guy, played guard I was a center so I never got the chance to guard him much but his speed and moves made up for his height! Life is all about lessons learned!
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:18 PM   #52
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibb View Post
As hobbies go, when it stops being fun it's time to move on. Making space in the head is just a important as making space in the garage
The problem with that is there are many times when the current process you are involved in is not fun at all! It is only when you persevere and finish, that you come away with the warm glow and satisfaction of a job well done that fuels you to attack the next job. The above attitude would result in very few restorations ever getting finished.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:18 PM   #53
montanafordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerhardt View Post
The problem with that is there are many times when the current process you are involved in is not fun at all! It is only when you persevere and finish, that you come away with the warm glow and satisfaction of a job well done that fuels you to attack the next job. The above attitude would result in very few restorations ever getting finished.
Isn't that the truth! I have found several mini roadblocks or lulls in motivation, but once you get past it you have a real sense of pride and progress seems to take off again for a while. If you get really good at just tackling through the not so fun or challenging stuff without shelving the project for a lenght of time its amazing how fast things progress.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:29 PM   #54
Mikeinnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerhardt View Post
Warning thread drift follows:
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:50 PM   #55
Terry, NJ

Restoration of anything is a series of small (Sometimes big) challenges. Taking them on is easy in the beginning when it's fresh and new. After 3 or 4 years, it becomes "O M G another one?" when unexpected glitches arise. You're sick of it, you just want it to be done and it doesn't look like it will be anytime soon. But this is the time to think about how far you've come. Not what still has to be done, but how much has been accomplished. Maybe only the chassis has been done. Maybe all the bodywork is finished and all it needs is painting. Maybe you got the engine running and it sounds good and you'd really like to try it out. maybe....... who knows! In construction, we hgad what is known as the "Critical Path" for scheduling of tasks. Basically, you start with the foundation, not the the roof or framing. It was pointed out to me that the "quitters" start with a lot of useless parts that shouldn't even even have shelf room untill much later in the job. It's one thing to take advantage of a deal on someting you know you'll use later, it's another to be buying racing manifolds, special tires, or god knows what, when you're years away from their use. This is getting far ahead of the critical path. But this is the"fun"! Yeah it may be, but if you find yourself doing this, better get back on track or take a break and come back a little later. It's going anywhere. Another "Cure" for these blahs is to buy a running car so you can take it out and see what life will be like when you're finished.
Terry

Last edited by Terry, NJ; 01-30-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:03 PM   #56
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibb View Post
I agree

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 01-30-2015 at 11:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:21 AM   #57
Purdy Swoft

I believe that it is time to throw in the towel and move on . I've seen plenty of times when it wasn't fun working on model A's or in my career in the collision business . Still I pressed on. As said before, a person has to know their limitations .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:55 AM   #58
Brendan

Dude! don't sell it! a little AV8 is Kool, you should see what my friend starting with, its not much. so keep it and do a little work on it as you can.

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:48 AM   #59
burner31

When our 57 Chevy got totaled I felt as you do, and it sat for a long time, then one day I grabbed a wrench and started in, it took years, but today I have no regrets, look at it, it was worth every bloody knuckle, every week-end, every late night and every dollar.
You must have the desire, the drive. It's not the time involved or the amount of work or even the money, it's the desire. From your own words I would advise to sell.
Starting on a 31 town sedan now, the drive has not ended, I feed upon it.
If you do not love it...set it free.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM006405.jpg (150.3 KB, 25 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:13 AM   #60
chiro

I sent you a private message.

Andy
chiro is offline   Reply With Quote