Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #21
mshmodela

Default Re: How to decide when to throw in the towel?

I think you've already answered you own question, you just need to act on it.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:00 AM   #22
Mitch//pa
BANNED

if you dont mind me asking
how much of a total investment do you have into it less labor???
Can you get your investment back if you sell

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 01-27-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:21 AM   #23
johnneilson

I know someone who spent 50 years building his Roadster PU.
He towed it into his garage when he was 14 and just drove it for the first time last year. He can't hear the cell when driving so you have to get lucky that he is stopped at a light to catch him.

You are the only one to make the decision, sell or not. In 50 years, you will know if you made the right decision or not.

I over the years have bought and sold, no regrets, but, my current car will not be sold if possible.

If this is a hobby, let it be a hobby, if you are doing it to turn some cash, better sell now, time is money.

Yeah, I miss the Cessna and one racecar that was just right, but I never regret it.

J
johnneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:48 AM   #24
Terry, NJ

I began my "wreck" of a Town Sedan in 2009. I say "wreck" because of it's deceptively poor condition when I bought it. I misjudged it! Period! I just didn't know how big a project I was getting into. see my photos at "My A" in my profile. Since 2009, I've done the Chassis, engine, fenders, cowl, most of the body work, the wood, and spent a heck ofa lot of money on paint, parts, rebuilt engine, and the wood that I bought, and it's still not done! I'm trying to get it painted now. I think Ive got someone, we'll see. Have I ever felt like you? sure plenty of times! But I kept going by telling myself that If I just get this or that done , I'll get a lot more money for it! That kept me going to the next stumbling block!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #25
BlueSunoco

Model A Fan, kind of a tough call that we all go thru. Living in the Pacific NW, well studies show that people there are more prone to suicide because the weather sucks so bad with constant rain and cold. More than anywhere else in the U.S. That may play a part in your losing interest it's all mental actually. That weather pattern would wear me out for sure. Nothing personal you sound like a practical guy that has a good head on his shoulders.

If it was me, I would probably sell off what you have, take my lumps, and go find another Model A already done or that late 40's Chevy pickup you'll be happier. Unless this car had sentimental value i.e., your Dad owned it and it had been in the family, you dated your wife in it, that sort of thing. A car being restored takes up two spaces in the garage not one.

Good luck on what you do. it's a tough call buddy.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:56 AM   #26
Keith True

You are not alone.There are probably thousands of people that have started to do an A,but at some point reality sets in.No time,no money,no space,no know-how,no tools,dozens of reasons.Probably hundreds of cars are inherited in pieces and the heirs declare,I'm gonna finish grandpas car.They buy a few hundred dollars worth of parts like tires,floor mats,moto-meters,and the dream fades away.My dad and I roofed a house in Hampton N.H.for a man when I was 14,about 1970.He was doing a 31 Cabriolet.He was very methodical.One part at a time,complete the job and hang it up.20 years later I helped my dad do the roof again.At that point the engine had been done by Knight Engineering in Rowley,and the chassis was together.In 2012 my dad took the roof job on again.(he said it's the last time)By now the body was painted,but no top or interior.The owner was nearing the end,but he had no intention of selling,and when he died shortly after we were done his heirs peddled it off.His children were not car people,and they just had workers box it all up and advertise it.It was bought by a street rodder,and dozens of us have parts from it now.The owner went from telling me that he and his wife were going to take that car to Canada when he finished it,to I don't care about driving it,I like the work.Where I am the rodders will step up and pay the real money,not the A people.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:04 AM   #27
Tom Elliott

If you can afford to keep it then keep it. If you sell it the money seems to disappear and now you don't have either the car or the money. You will get into it again and maybe with more ambition. It will also increase in value just the way it is now.
Tom Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #28
the cooch

Very common scenario-I'm coming to find out. Some of these dudes will blast you for this, some will be supportive, some will try to buy your shit right now! I'm super busy too and keep a lot of irons in the fire. I've been working on one truck for ten years, a buddies roadster for five, and the 36 that's in my driveway for three. I just like the work. If you really want to drive something, though, go ahead, no shame in letting go of this project. Seems to me you should trade the whole shooting match for a running vehicle and move on. The only thing you can really do "wrong", is "nothing". Better to let it all change hands. Ther's more out there if you want to try again someday. You gave it a shot, a lot of time, and a bunch of money, and it fizzled out. Not a life problem and not a failure, and as long as the parts were treated well, you provided a good temporary home for them where similar stuff got conglomerated. That's a public service right there! Also on a side note, (minor hijack in defense) not all early cars made into hot rods are "destroyed", many are just finished differently than restored cars and could always be returned to and finished original. Roadster bods are always in demand, very rarely ruined by hotrodders, and usually get driven. Unlike hundred year restorations that might see a hundred miles a year if ever finished. Don't feel bad about not getting to it. You should see how many one year old snowmobiles are on craigslist around here for half the sticker price. E' thing you collected is important to someone and will find its way to the right place. The embarrassment of asking about it would paralyze tons of dudes, so kudos for coming across to this pack of wolves about it! Only negative thing I can think to say is that those Chevy truck are f#@#in' expensive as hell to finish up, oh, and the "Chevy" part... My experiences also tell me that resto guys will not pay as much for cool bodies as hot rodders ( no offense ) 'cause the big picture for them is so much more work and money to "finish". As a next generation builder on here I'm issuing 4 cents of in put on this one because I don't know anyonone my age or younger that would restore a roadster to original over at least a mild, '40's-'50's style hop-up anyway. Good luck either way, we'd love to have you but don't worry we won't miss ya! Just kidding. Really though, A Chevy pickup? Come on man...
the cooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:15 PM   #29
700rpm

"I got into Model A's to make a jalopy hot rod type car"

Fifty or sixty years ago, when Model A's were plentiful and people were practically giving them away, that was a fun and cheap way to enjoy the cars. But that ship sailed a long time ago. Good unrestored cars are much harder to find and cost too much to not take seriously. Your dilemma brings to mind that great Eastwood quote: "A man has to recognize his limitations."

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #30
Purdy Swoft

From what I see, I suggest sell it . Buy something that you like and can drive and just forget it . There are lots of guys that would have no problems with such a project and would gladly take it off your hands. There have been far too many nice projects took apart, scattered and never put back together !!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #31
edmondclinton
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Fan View Post
So I've had my project since September 2012 and was absolutely thrilled to have a 30-31 roadster in my garage. I started tearing into it in August 2013 and ended up bending a valve after emergency removal of a stud that snapped while I was putting a freshly machined head on. Well, there it sat with the bent valve and partially disassembled.

I've run into a situation of sorts where I don't have a way to transport parts for the car (can't haul the body to a sandblasting place as I have no trailer/truck), I don't have a welder nor do I know how to weld, I got tired of buying parts for the car and tired of not being able to do anything, and finally I have very little space it seems.

I have run out of motivation and now am working quite a bit (50-60HRS per week). Coming up, my schedule will be slightly better as I will have weekdays off on a rotating schedule (six on two off), so the places that actually can do work on my project will in fact be open when I have days off. Seems that companies that can do work that I need done are not open when I have the time to even get parts to them.

I feel like I'd rather buy a 46-53 Chevy or GMC pickup and just have something cool to drive around and be able to enjoy, rather than have something cool sitting in my garage that I don't work on, just gets stuff stacked on it and it essentially takes up the space that I could have a table saw or some other cool tool instead.

I am sure lots of you have faced this issue and somehow powered through the disappointment, lack of enthusiasm or just plain disinterest in your project. I am at an impasse now that I'd rather free up the funds for potentially branching out to a different hobby (woodworking) and having the space and sell off my car project and associated parts.

I'd appreciate any reflections from members who have dealt with the same dilemma and who may have advice on both sides of the coin. One of the only things preventing me from selling it off is that I may never get an opportunity in the future to have a project like this. I bought it with money I saved and I don't want to try to find one like it when I am buying a house or raising kids because I know and have heard how budgets for hobbies get so constricted.

For your information, here is a thread I made on the HAMB about the project when I first bought it:

My humble start:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...and-me.580645/

Where I am now:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...-build.734758/

Thanks for looking.

Regardless of what these men are telling you on this message board including myself, only you know what's best for you.

However, from what I've read you've pretty much had enough at this point in time and want to get rid of your A. If so, then do it! ... and don't worry about it.

There should always be Model A's for sale. You may have to pay more money but they will be available. And next time, if the desire comes back to you, consider the following; especially if you lack the skills needed for a do-it-yourself restoration or think (or know) that you may not have the ability to learn them.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard do-it-yourself restorers say, "If I had it to do all over I'd buy an already done, older restoration Model A ready to drive ...."

Now to throw you a curve ball ....

I've also heard this many times:

"I could kick myself in the ass for selling that car ..."

But like I said, only you know what's best for you.
edmondclinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #32
Tiny

Is this your first all inclusive project? Some people bite off more than they can chew. I always recommend to people that they start with a running car. Its much easier to "fix up" a driver than do an all out restoration. Only you will know whats best for you, and remember its not like Model A's are rare. You'll be able to get another in the future if you want one.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #33
pooch

He is never going to do a resto anyway.

Lots of pics of a flatty there.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:46 PM   #34
Bill in SoCal

Model A Fan "There is a little sadness to the situation as I wanted to be able to prove to myself that something like this was possible and it is depressing to think that I'd rather get rid of the project, face failure, and move on."

It's not a failure to decide that you no longer want to do something. That's a positive decision. A project or hobby should give you enjoyment. If you are not happy - It's OK to move on. You may or may not revisit the hobby of restoring an old car sometime in the future. In the mean time do what makes you happy. Good luck, Bill
Bill in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:46 PM   #35
bikejunk

The reason I ended up with my model A was due to selling a antique motorcycle project that was beyond my means machine work wise ,the sale gave me the fire power to get what I always wanted an original paint /interior late 30 standard Tudor and enough money to fix it right and make it more than road worthy. Never ever thought it was a mistake.
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:55 PM   #36
Not George

Not to be rude but…………….

Willys, teaching, roadster pick up, roadster, law enforcement, 49-53 Chevy Gmc, table saw,insulation, heat. In a two year period.
None of these things finish themselves. I think you just lack commitment, and maybe expect a little instant gratification.
One thing I have learned about any endeavor I have ever taken on is quitting is the easy part.
I have no weldler, or welding skills, or any other fabrication tools for that matter,I have very little insulation, no heat or electricity in my shop. Skills can be acquired and honed.
I also have no time or money. On top of that most times after work, my body just can't take anymore. But my Model A brings me a great amount of joy and happiness.
I just painted (rattle can) two wheels today, not much, but it is something. Sometimes just cleaning out the mess in the shop can be a great inspiration.
You seem to have some very neat stuff that a lot of people would love to have and would literally take me years to afford, yet you want something else.
Again, no offense, but maybe you should just get a vehicle that is a good driver, find someone to maintain it for you and be happy.
Good luck!
Not George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:06 PM   #37
CWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in SoCal View Post
Model A Fan "There is a little sadness to the situation as I wanted to be able to prove to myself that something like this was possible and it is depressing to think that I'd rather get rid of the project, face failure, and move on."

It's not a failure to decide that you no longer want to do something. That's a positive decision. A project or hobby should give you enjoyment. If you are not happy - It's OK to move on. You may or may not revisit the hobby of restoring an old car sometime in the future. In the mean time do what makes you happy. Good luck, Bill
agree 100%. I've had a few different hobbies in my life, and there was one that I continued to do, more because I felt like I should be doing it because I had time and money invested. Over time it became more like a chore instead of an enjoyment. My wife finally said I should give it up because she could see a difference in my eyes when I talked about it. No more gleam in the eye... I sold the investment (let go of the hobby) and it was like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Applied that money to something I actually enjoyed doing. Best of luck in whatever you deem best for yourself!

Chris
CWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:03 AM   #38
Model A Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
engine work is very different than what you do with the rest of the car. You need exposure, mentoring, special tools like feeler gauges, taps and dies, vernier calipers, micrometers, snap gauges, torque wrenches, compression testing, trouble shooting experience, failure analysis, how to tell a burned valve or a cracked thrust on a main cap, etc etc. It is way more like being a machinist than doing the stuff you have described. Actually, the whole drivetrain is like this. Engine, tranny, differential.
The problems that I run into are with getting the engine up and running due to the valve. Engines are a whole different beast given the older technology (babbit, 6 volt, carburetor etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I read the two links in the original post, and it looks like you have started and sold a couple projects without finishing them. This one looks like it would be best done as a highboy as you started, because it's so far along in that direction that it would be costly and a lot of work to restore as a stock roadster.

If you enjoy driving them more than working on them, then it might be best to sell this and buy a good drivable car. You'll just have to take some time out and think about it, and see what works best for you.
I haven't driven one to even know if I like it yet. I find that I like A LOT of old cars and get sidetracked by different ideas and plans. I'd love to have an old school parts hauler that I can take the roadster parts to the blaster in. There is a place in my town that has a very large operation and he does old cars. I wanted to do the highboy style anyway, so I don't need the wrinkles taken out of the steel, just the cracks welded up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Model A Fan,
IMO, you have 'more like' for wood than metal/mechanics, but the two can be blended,eh ! I would move the heck out of that 300 inches of rain a year area...first !
Seriously, I were you , I'd think of protecting the parts by either hanging them from rafters, storing them on walls and / or get a weather tight container to store parts in. Make a plan and write it down. Work ONE part at a time until it is done to YOUR satisfaction, then store it and go down your written list checking off each item until all are done ! Do not look at the overall project as all at once job. Your young and even if it takes years (mine did) you will be surprised when all of the done stuff starts to go together ! Hey, it's a project, a hobby...not a job ! Stay with a part until tired/frustrated, then go do wood work or enjoy family, repair home/whatever ! Get organized. Here in sunny socal,(aka-lalaland) where it never rains , I had parts of my '30 roadster all over the property.
NO welder, NO engine lift, NO hoist, NO special tools and NO help ! Other than farming out engine machine work (four banger), I did most stuff myself starting in 2002. I'm a driver, so ended up with a driver to my satisfaction ! Sanded by hand and wire brush and with home made sand blaster. Study each part, read books on subject and ask a lot of questions and ignore any criticism ! Years after start, when putting things together and seeing progress, I just dug in harder when 'free' time came.

I was already old when got my pile of parts, you are young and your pile of parts are paid for, so IMO hard part is done and you will not later regret getting rid of some thing that you , at one time , obviously wanted ! I can tell you many (sob) stories about how 'life got in the way' along the thorny path that some have as life. But, the strong willed survive. And, you may never have chance to have a roadster again. Mechanics may not be easiest thing to learn, but mechanics and mechanical aptitude can be learned. Doesn't happen by osmosis. I'm not a 'joiner', but advise to join a club and use accumulated knowledge/resources (tool loans,etc) to learn. You don't have to rat rod or hot rod a Model A roadster to have a great fun driver with four cylinders. I can/will send you pictures, if desired, to show you such a roadster. I started out restoring and just went with what I liked. Good luck to you which ever way you go
Well, I am not depressed in life, just with the project a little. The weather does affect my ability to work on the car because I can't push it and everything around it into the driveway while I tinker on different parts. I joined the AARC (Antique Auto Restorers Club) here, but let my membership lapse as most everyone in the club has drivers and doesn't know anybody or isn't able to lend someone assistance who needs help. I have met some pretty nice people through the club however. I'm alright mechanically, just I have to relearn a lot of what I studied already and forgot. Taking a two year break kinda messes with your ability to remember what you knew by heart (almost by heart).

When I get a good down payment saved, I will probably opt to buy some land a put a shop on it so I have a nice place to work. Something that is about 40'x30' or so. Then I can have a wood shop and a car shop. But I have to wait for my yearly pay increases to happen before I'll have an opportunity to invest in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
sell or swap with cash-doest hurt to try a trade for a running 50's truck..........

point is-have fun rather then ignore the mess in the garage. lots of good advice here.

bring a buddy or two over just one Saturday to help you clean up-buy them lunch and a beer and you will feel much better about your situation.
We'll see. One of the trucks I am looking at is cheap enough that I can throw down the cash and drive it home. It does have rust, but replacement parts are available and it isn't huge. Sounds like I am already planning my next project...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classiccanuck View Post
Just close the garage door and forget about it for a while, situation will change and you will regain the drive to work on the car. I can tell you that you will kick yourself for selling it latter on. Look at it as a pass time and not a challenge.
Did that in August 2012 or 2013, I can't remember which. Tonight was the first time I've worked on it in a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
I think you've already answered you own question, you just need to act on it.
Towel has been thrown, just not sure if it made it "in"...it may take a little while to decide if I want to stop and just liquidate the whole shebang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
if you dont mind me asking
how much of a total investment do you have into it less labor???
Can you get your investment back if you sell
When I sold the extra panels and parts, I think I basically ended up being into the whole project for about $1,000. Not including the cost of all the other parts that I have collected or ordered from Mac's and Snyder's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnneilson View Post
I know someone who spent 50 years building his Roadster PU.
He towed it into his garage when he was 14 and just drove it for the first time last year. He can't hear the cell when driving so you have to get lucky that he is stopped at a light to catch him.

You are the only one to make the decision, sell or not. In 50 years, you will know if you made the right decision or not.

I over the years have bought and sold, no regrets, but, my current car will not be sold if possible.

If this is a hobby, let it be a hobby, if you are doing it to turn some cash, better sell now, time is money.

Yeah, I miss the Cessna and one racecar that was just right, but I never regret it.

J
It seems that I end up selling projects once I hit my ability's wall. Instead of trying to break through and build my skills, it seems that I just move on. I hate quitting, but time is money as you say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
I began my "wreck" of a Town Sedan in 2009. I say "wreck" because of it's deceptively poor condition when I bought it. I misjudged it! Period! I just didn't know how big a project I was getting into. see my photos at "My A" in my profile. Since 2009, I've done the Chassis, engine, fenders, cowl, most of the body work, the wood, and spent a heck of a lot of money on paint, parts, rebuilt engine, and the wood that I bought, and it's still not done! I'm trying to get it painted now. I think Ive got someone, we'll see. Have I ever felt like you? sure plenty of times! But I kept going by telling myself that If I just get this or that done , I'll get a lot more money for it! That kept me going to the next stumbling block!
Terry
I guess the answer is if I decide to keep it, to just keep plugging away and working on it bit by bit. I bit off more than I can chew, so now my project is just sitting there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
Model A Fan, kind of a tough call that we all go thru. Living in the Pacific NW, well studies show that people there are more prone to suicide because the weather sucks so bad with constant rain and cold. More than anywhere else in the U.S. That may play a part in your losing interest it's all mental actually. That weather pattern would wear me out for sure. Nothing personal you sound like a practical guy that has a good head on his shoulders.

If it was me, I would probably sell off what you have, take my lumps, and go find another Model A already done or that late 40's Chevy pickup you'll be happier. Unless this car had sentimental value i.e., your Dad owned it and it had been in the family, you dated your wife in it, that sort of thing. A car being restored takes up two spaces in the garage not one.

Good luck on what you do. it's a tough call buddy.
No sentimental value really, just thought I could do it, and a little disappointed that I am running into this dilemma. I only have one space in my garage, so that may be part of the problem. But yes, the weather is depressing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
You are not alone.There are probably thousands of people that have started to do an A,but at some point reality sets in.No time,no money,no space,no know-how,no tools,dozens of reasons.Probably hundreds of cars are inherited in pieces and the heirs declare,I'm gonna finish grandpas car.They buy a few hundred dollars worth of parts like tires,floor mats,moto-meters,and the dream fades away.My dad and I roofed a house in Hampton N.H.for a man when I was 14,about 1970.He was doing a 31 Cabriolet.He was very methodical.One part at a time,complete the job and hang it up.20 years later I helped my dad do the roof again.At that point the engine had been done by Knight Engineering in Rowley,and the chassis was together.In 2012 my dad took the roof job on again.(he said it's the last time)By now the body was painted,but no top or interior.The owner was nearing the end,but he had no intention of selling,and when he died shortly after we were done his heirs peddled it off.His children were not car people,and they just had workers box it all up and advertise it.It was bought by a street rodder,and dozens of us have parts from it now.The owner went from telling me that he and his wife were going to take that car to Canada when he finished it,to I don't care about driving it,I like the work.Where I am the rodders will step up and pay the real money,not the A people.
Wow, that is sad that his whole life was spent storing a car for it to later get parted out. Why did you not buy it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Elliott View Post
If you can afford to keep it then keep it. If you sell it the money seems to disappear and now you don't have either the car or the money. You will get into it again and maybe with more ambition. It will also increase in value just the way it is now.
I did not take a loan out to buy it or anything. It is completely paid for and all the parts I got over time, so my bank did not break buying it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cooch View Post
Very common scenario-I'm coming to find out. Some of these dudes will blast you for this, some will be supportive, some will try to buy your shit right now! I'm super busy too and keep a lot of irons in the fire. I've been working on one truck for ten years, a buddies roadster for five, and the 36 that's in my driveway for three. I just like the work. If you really want to drive something, though, go ahead, no shame in letting go of this project. Seems to me you should trade the whole shooting match for a running vehicle and move on. The only thing you can really do "wrong", is "nothing". Better to let it all change hands. Ther's more out there if you want to try again someday. You gave it a shot, a lot of time, and a bunch of money, and it fizzled out. Not a life problem and not a failure, and as long as the parts were treated well, you provided a good temporary home for them where similar stuff got conglomerated. That's a public service right there! Also on a side note, (minor hijack in defense) not all early cars made into hot rods are "destroyed", many are just finished differently than restored cars and could always be returned to and finished original. Roadster bods are always in demand, very rarely ruined by hotrodders, and usually get driven. Unlike hundred year restorations that might see a hundred miles a year if ever finished. Don't feel bad about not getting to it. You should see how many one year old snowmobiles are on craigslist around here for half the sticker price. E' thing you collected is important to someone and will find its way to the right place. The embarrassment of asking about it would paralyze tons of dudes, so kudos for coming across to this pack of wolves about it! Only negative thing I can think to say is that those Chevy truck are f#@#in' expensive as hell to finish up, oh, and the "Chevy" part... My experiences also tell me that resto guys will not pay as much for cool bodies as hot rodders ( no offense ) 'cause the big picture for them is so much more work and money to "finish". As a next generation builder on here I'm issuing 4 cents of in put on this one because I don't know anyonone my age or younger that would restore a roadster to original over at least a mild, '40's-'50's style hop-up anyway. Good luck either way, we'd love to have you but don't worry we won't miss ya! Just kidding. Really though, A Chevy pickup? Come on man...
Hahah, I know, a Chevy. I would never buy a Chevy or GM today given the bailouts, and I like Ford a whole lot. I just have always liked the farm truck style of that era of Chevy/GM. I am going to have to think long and hard how I want to go about this project, so we will see what will happen. If I were to get a Chevy truck, I'd want the patina and the age, all the while it still functions and is enjoyable to drive. Something that is "fresh off the farm".

I am not going full out boxed frame, channeled body and V8 (not yet on the V8), I just want a banger in a highboy for putt putting around town when it is nice out. Something I can drive around and maybe take on reliability runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
"I got into Model A's to make a jalopy hot rod type car"

Fifty or sixty years ago, when Model A's were plentiful and people were practically giving them away, that was a fun and cheap way to enjoy the cars. But that ship sailed a long time ago. Good unrestored cars are much harder to find and cost too much to not take seriously. Your dilemma brings to mind that great Eastwood quote: "A man has to recognize his limitations."
I recognize them, as I have seen them before...however, with each project, my limitations get smaller and smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
From what I see, I suggest sell it . Buy something that you like and can drive and just forget it . There are lots of guys that would have no problems with such a project and would gladly take it off your hands. There have been far too many nice projects took apart, scattered and never put back together !!!
Not a lot of cars in my neck of the woods to look at to begin with, so I have slim pickin's as far as that goes. Summer may yield more "stuff".

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmondclinton View Post
Regardless of what these men are telling you on this message board including myself, only you know what's best for you.

However, from what I've read you've pretty much had enough at this point in time and want to get rid of your A. If so, then do it! ... and don't worry about it.

There should always be Model A's for sale. You may have to pay more money but they will be available. And next time, if the desire comes back to you, consider the following; especially if you lack the skills needed for a do-it-yourself restoration or think (or know) that you may not have the ability to learn them.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard do-it-yourself restorers say, "If I had it to do all over I'd buy an already done, older restoration Model A ready to drive ...."

Now to throw you a curve ball ....

I've also heard this many times:

"I could kick myself in the ass for selling that car ..."

But like I said, only you know what's best for you.
Yeah, and if I sell it, have a mortgage, kids etc...when would I be able to buy one again? Probably a long time off. Hence, that is part of my thought process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
Is this your first all inclusive project? Some people bite off more than they can chew. I always recommend to people that they start with a running car. Its much easier to "fix up" a driver than do an all out restoration. Only you will know whats best for you, and remember its not like Model A's are rare. You'll be able to get another in the future if you want one.
First "complete" project that I have started. I have had other less complete projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
He is never going to do a resto anyway.

Lots of pics of a flatty there.
I want to do a banger first and once I get some know-how, then perhaps an AV8 or a speedster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in SoCal View Post

I know I should be happy and work on what is enjoyable, but I am concerned that I may only just trade this project for another, only to grow disinterested again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not George View Post
Not to be rude but…………….

Willys, teaching, roadster pick up, roadster, law enforcement, 49-53 Chevy Gmc, table saw,insulation, heat. In a two year period.
None of these things finish themselves. I think you just lack commitment, and maybe expect a little instant gratification.
One thing I have learned about any endeavor I have ever taken on is quitting is the easy part.
I have no weldler, or welding skills, or any other fabrication tools for that matter,I have very little insulation, no heat or electricity in my shop. Skills can be acquired and honed.
I also have no time or money. On top of that most times after work, my body just can't take anymore. But my Model A brings me a great amount of joy and happiness.
I just painted (rattle can) two wheels today, not much, but it is something. Sometimes just cleaning out the mess in the shop can be a great inspiration.
You seem to have some very neat stuff that a lot of people would love to have and would literally take me years to afford, yet you want something else.
Again, no offense, but maybe you should just get a vehicle that is a good driver, find someone to maintain it for you and be happy.
Good luck!
Yes, I have basically been all over the place as far as hobbies, jobs and interests go. I know I should focus and just start plugging away. So, tonight, that is exactly what I did. I straightened up my garage a bit and started tearing into the cowl. I separated the gas tank from the cowl and found that there is some debris inside, so now I have to figure out how to get all of that out of there. Any ideas? Anyway, I separated the cowl from the frame and may actually put the other cowl I have on the frame and work on repairing the one I just detached. We'll see.

I think I need to inventory my parts to see what I may have two or three of (I know I have three Model A engines), and perhaps start divesting myself of these extra pieces. I have the desire to learn to weld along with sandblast. I even have a sandblaster and a compressor. I just need to work on figuring it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWilson View Post
agree 100%. I've had a few different hobbies in my life, and there was one that I continued to do, more because I felt like I should be doing it because I had time and money invested. Over time it became more like a chore instead of an enjoyment. My wife finally said I should give it up because she could see a difference in my eyes when I talked about it. No more gleam in the eye... I sold the investment (let go of the hobby) and it was like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Applied that money to something I actually enjoyed doing. Best of luck in whatever you deem best for yourself!

Chris
I love cars, I just need to get the next level skills that allow me to take them to the "return to functioning car" mode.

I guess I will keep it for the time being and see if I can will myself some motivation. Tonight was good in that I cleared up some space, consolidated parts, set up my new tool chest, detached my cowl and gas tank and started planning out the order of attack. Start at the cowl and work my way back on the body. Then engine I guess.

Thanks for the advice, I am not fully set on either decision yet, but it was nice to work on it again after so long just sitting there. Thank you for the different perspectives and kind words. I appreciate it.
Model A Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:24 AM   #39
Tom Wesenberg

My friend just recently sold the pickup truck you'd have liked. It was a 1949 Chevy corner window cab half ton in very nice original condition. I really enjoyed driving that ruck and told him that was the best original vehical he owned, but he sold it anyway. It sure had a nice soft clutch pedal and just purred along so nice, but was really geard low. The engine sounded nice at about 25 to 30 MPH and really screamed at 45. I told Mike he should put an overdrive in it and keep it, but it didn't happen.

BTW, I know well what you mean about bad weather preventing work on cars in an unheated garage. We have 6 to 7 months of winter, so we can't drive on the salty roads and can't do work without a heated insulated garage. It would be nice to be in the country with a nice garage with a wood stove. I sure could get a lot more done.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 01-28-2015 at 03:52 AM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:16 AM   #40
colin1928

I know you have 3 pages of guys over on the hamb saying stick with it
it sounds to me this may not be the right time in your life for a major project
you want to save for a better house and land
work on your career and lots of other things
to be happy with this type of major project you must enjoy the grind of long hours in garage
that said you have 3 engines if a bent valve is a problem swap it out for another engine
a few things to consider are the time it takes most guys working mostly alone well over a 1000 to 2000 + hours to build any sort of car restored or rod
money what ever you think it might cost double it at least trip to parts store to buy the odd bolt and nut or wd40 or degreaser all cost more than you think and are never in the budget and never seen in the sale price
sometimes it is much cheaper and faster to send stuff out to the professionals once then trying to do it yourself 3 times
the cost of building a car would make a nice down payment on a block of land
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote