Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2015, 04:10 PM   #41
Joe K

Default Re: Is my fan OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBruce View Post
I've not seen a four blade B fan come apart in 30 years of watching. Anything can happen, mine has been running since I took my original two blade off because of the chance it will go air bourne on me. Looks nice on my shelf, but will continue to run the four blade as long as it is tight and the rivets aren't a problem.
Well, like you I think I will continue to run the 4 blade fan on my Gordon-Smith Compressor - but I think I will replace the rivets with a more substantial allen head (grade 8) bolt.

Joe K
Old 01-27-2015, 05:23 PM   #42
Purdy Swoft

The rivets were never the problem for me . The narrow area between the rivets fatigued , cracked and the blade flew off. I had two of the four blade fans sling a blade.
The four blade fans were not original to the model B . The four blade model 46 fans were first used on the 1933 four cylinder trucks. The model 46 four blade truck fans were then sold as replacement fans for model A & B cars and trucks by Ford dealers after the dangerous two blade prop fans were discontinued, probably through the 50s The old Ford four blade fans are mostly fatigued and just as dangerous if not more dangerous than the original two blade prop fans . I wouldn't run either one. I've already had two close calls with the four blade fans. I'm not going to wait for three to be a charm.

It is not necessary to remove the radiator to remove a four blade fan . It is easy enough to bend the blades back and forth a few times and you will be surprised how easily the blades break off. After the blades are broken off the water pump can be easily removed. With the pump removed, the hub of the old fan can be easily removed if a person knows what they are doing .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 01-27-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-27-2015, 05:53 PM   #43
larrys40

I concur... good advice Purdy! I have cut some of them off to keep from pulling the radiator and was always glad I did it. I agree if you look at some of the fans at the swap meets they are mostly all fatigued in one area or another.
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:05 PM   #44
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBruce View Post
I've not seen a four blade B fan come apart in 30 years of watching. Anything can happen, mine has been running since I took my original two blade off because of the chance it will go air bourne on me. Looks nice on my shelf, but will continue to run the four blade as long as it is tight and the rivets aren't a problem.
I think your statistics are misleading. One person could watch more fans in a year than another could watch in 30 years. But, it's your car and your wallet. Still, there are lots of threads like this here and on other A sites, so if you're into playing Russian Roulette, just fill up the cylinder. Pretty much, it's not a question of if, it's a question of when.

Just curious, what would your legal liability be if you sold an A to someone knowing the fan could blow at any time but didn't tell them? Or, maybe this is a morality issue.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:17 AM   #45
slackcat

I changed to an aluminum 2 blade fan when I couldn't figure out why my engine, with 4 blade, would seem to vibrate more at higher rpm. Problem solved.

Upon inspecting the 4 blade fan I found two blades tweaked. Something I didn't notice when I bought the car. Don't know if that was the cause but runs smoother now.