Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2011, 01:30 AM   #1
Bob Sharp

Default Radio Antenna in Slant Window / Roof Insulation?

I would like to conceal a radio antenna in a '31 Slant Window. Interior is done but headliner needs to be removed and replaced due to rodent damage. Has anyone tried to connect an antenna lead to the chicken wire in the top for AM/FM reception? Any other ideas for a concealed antenna?

Also, any suggestions regarding adding any type of insulation while the headliner is out? Is there enough there to have something for a solid connection or would there be concern of insulation coming loose and weighing down the headiner?

Thanks.
Bob Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:42 AM   #2
WTSHNN

Default Re: Radio Antenna in Slant Window / Roof Insulation?

Is it a 12-volt system?

They make an "amplified" antenna which is a little plastic box with a wire attached to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-6100.../dp/B003IJXU5C

I'd try that.

-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:14 AM   #3
dumb person

i have heard that the chicken wire makes a great radio antenna as long as it does not touch the metal of the body but have never tried it myself.

Last edited by dumb person; 12-23-2011 at 04:22 AM. Reason: clarification
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:45 AM   #4
1931 flamingo

Under the running board was another place to "hide" one.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Wherever you install the antenna, won't you also have to change the ignition to carbon wires to keep the RF noise down?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
John LaVoy

I thought the original spark leads would cause noise, but on the sedan we use the box mentioned above for the antenna and there isn't the problem with spark lead noise.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
Kevin in NJ

The modern FM radios are pretty good. You might be able to get away with a something simple.

Here are some ideas that can be done cheaply and I have no idea how they would work if they work at all. But they may be worth trying.

First off just try the center wire on the chicken wire. Run the engine and see if you pick up ignition noise.

Something more interesting to try. Keep the chicken wire isolated from the body, check it with a meter. Make that the ground.
Using a piece of thin plastic, put some foil strips about the length you find in the dipole antenna for an FM radio. Set that on or maybe just above the wire, a layer of padding between the dipole and the chicken wire.

Technically there are probably all sorts of special length cuts and position stuff to worry about. We are just talking getting a radio to do decent reception. Anything up and out in the air is going to do something. If you need lots of range then consult a local ham radio guy. The chicken wire with a some kind of flat wire may make an interesting and decent antenna. The chicken wire acts as a ground plane and maybe a shield from the ignition noise.

Keep in mind they make special flat coax cables for automotive work if you need some check out what the local car alarm installer can offer.

Anyway, some ideas if you feel so inclined to experiment. Let us know how you make out.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
JoeWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by John LaVoy View Post
I thought the original spark leads would cause noise, but on the sedan we use the box mentioned above for the antenna and there isn't the problem with spark lead noise.
John, where did you install the antenna?

Joe
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
mass A man

Bob, Years ago, I did install a roof type antenna in a sedan. It worked quite well too. As I remember, isolating chicken wire was very tedious! It cannot ground out to any metal body part that is attached to body. You'll need a length of "lead-in" antenna wire that has the outer braiding. Solder the center wire to chicken wire, the braiding to body ground up at passenger side corner.(or drill a hole in metal corner brace and use a self tapping ground screw),Keep your soldered leads short. Run the wire down behind windshield garnish moulding, to radio. ground your braiding to radio box and solder on a radio "lead in plug" to that end. Keep in mind the polarity of radio and your car's polarity!! This type of installation calls for some type of "noise suppressors". It does work. Note, this was done using a tube type antique car radio, AM only.

Last edited by mass A man; 12-23-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: using a vintage A.M. radio.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote