Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2024, 06:48 PM   #1
Vanspeed

Default Opinion needed on fuel pumps

Have a clients car in the shop that has had a history of hard starting. It is a ‘40 ford, still 6V. The owner lives out of state half the year and she always drained the battery trying to start it.

A previous shop has installed an electric fuel pump and bypassed the stock mechanical. There is no regulator. The pump looks like a Carter and from what I can tell they pump out 6psi, maybe more. I understand why the electronic pump was installed but without a regulator I don’t trust it.

I know a lot of guys that run the Airtex pump in conjunction with the stock pump (using the Airtex as a primer) and upon starting the electronic pump is turned off. I like this idea but I want to hear to yes’s and no’s of going this route. She only drives it occasionally when she is here. Could sit for weeks without being started.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:44 PM   #2
51504bat

Default Re: Opinion needed on fuel pumps

On my 8ba I'm running an Airtex electric pump mounted in the rear by the gas tank. Use it in conjunction with the stock pump to prime the carb after it sits for a while. Use a toggle switch to turn the pump on to prime and then switch it off after starting. Works great. I do use a pressure regulator before the carb set at 2 1/2 PSI.
Old 04-26-2024, 08:09 PM   #3
ScubaChief60

After a few bouts of vapor lock, I installed a 6v electric pump on the fuel line just before the mechanical pump ( between the tank and the mechanical fuel pump). It is a 'flow thru' design electric pump so that the mechanical pump can pull fuel right thru it. I have it on a toggle switch under the dash so I can use it when needed. Its only a backup pump for when the mechanical need priming. Has worked great on several occasions.
ScubaChief60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 09:06 PM   #4
ford38v8

Agree with the above, with the use of a normally open toggle for safety concerns. A toggle of this sort completes a circuit only while being held in the on position, and is used only to prime the manual pump and to overcome a temporary vapor lock. While a pressure regulator would not be essential for this particular installation, a regulator adds a smart layer of protection.
Old 04-26-2024, 09:38 PM   #5
GB SISSON

Resounding yes to all the above. I use a push button switch. I wouldn't be without the electric backup.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 05:02 AM   #6
flathead48

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have a toggle under dash, use the electric just for priming , 6 volt 48 stock & has been 9 years . So far so good.
flathead48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 07:42 AM   #7
corvette8n

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead48 View Post
I have a toggle under dash, use the electric just for priming , 6 volt 48 stock & has been 9 years . So far so good.
I’m with Rick, I have a spring loaded toggle switch under the dash and I hold it on until I hear the pump noise change. Previous owner installed the electric setup.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 08:13 AM   #8
dean333

Send a message via Yahoo to dean333

Electric pumps are bandaids in my opinion. Send your stock pump to Charlie Schwendler and get it updated to perform as intended. I have never had a problem in 40 plus years with hard starting or vapor lock on my early V8’s.
Old 04-27-2024, 01:44 PM   #9
Vanspeed

Lots of good responses, thank you. Dean333, how long do you let your car sit between driving? Could you let the car sit for six months and start it without the need for starting fluid or draining the battery attempting to start?
Old 04-27-2024, 03:44 PM   #10
Lawrie

Another thing to do is fit a pump with a priming lever,they are around,mostly on UK and NZ cars,
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 07:45 PM   #11
Merc Cruzer

Make sure you get a "flow through" pump, most of them are not. If it isn't a flow through, when you turn the electric pump off, it will shut off the gas.

The easiest way to test the pump is to blow through it, in the direction of the gas flow. If you can, then your are good to go, if not, you need to buy another pump, unless you are going to run the pump at all times.

Airtex pumps, are no longer available, they were bought out and the pumps are no longer made.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 07:46 PM   #12
dean333

Vanspeed, yes it will sit six months without a battery tender. Maybe one squirt of starting fluid if it sits six months. I hardly ever let it sit that long, three maybe then it cranks about 30 seconds total., 15 seconds at a time.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:34 PM   #13
Kube

My '36 roadster sits for up to eight weeks without starting during the winter months. The car is 100% stock.
I pull the choke, hit the starter, pump the gas pedal maybe two or three times, hit the starter again and it starts each and every time.
I take a lot of time setting all of my cars up correctly and have never even considered an electric pump.
Vapor lock? Yeah, I have heard of such things.
Perhaps I'm biased but in 50+ years of flatheads, I have had amazingly good experiences.
I don't recall ever having too little battery or not enough fuel where it needs to be.
Just set the car up correct and forget about the "band aids".
Old 04-27-2024, 09:26 PM   #14
dean333

Amen Kube.
Old 04-27-2024, 09:27 PM   #15
3twinridges

I think we get used to our modern cars/trucks. We don’t even have keys anymore, just get in and hit a button and go, computers do all the tuning.

Lots of things probably suspect on your hard start. Our truck is bone stock and it’s pretty close to today’s cars, but all the systems are meticulously tuned and the engine is fresh with high compression. You probably have a problem component in your ignition, a problem with your fuel delivery in the carb, or low compression due to a tired engine.

Even after sitting for a month, you shouldn’t have to turn over for more than a few seconds to refill the fuel bowl and get it down into the intake.

JB

Last edited by 3twinridges; 04-27-2024 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Spelling error!
3twinridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 11:09 PM   #16
Ol' Ron

After 75 years of fuel pump problems with the Ford flatheads. Both mechanical and electric, I have switched to the internal electric pump and an external regulator. The united states has over 200 million cars and trucks on the road and very little pum failures.
Gramps
PS and junk yards are full of them.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 12:16 AM   #17
GB SISSON

The reason I like my little 12v momentary switched pump is for the joy of the instant start after it sits for months. I have the utmost respect for bone stock original vehicles and their keepers too. But this thing about modern cars not needing keys??? Swear to God, never heard of that. Our modern cars, wife's '96 outback and my '99 suburban would never work without a key, but all four of my early ford contraptions just have a toggle switch on the dash for ignition and the start button, no key needed.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 09:51 AM   #18
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanspeed View Post
Lots of good responses, thank you. Dean333, how long do you let your car sit between driving? Could you let the car sit for six months and start it without the need for starting fluid or draining the battery attempting to start?
i could with my 36 Pickup, i dont run a electric fuel pump

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 07:20 PM   #19
Vanspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
My '36 roadster sits for up to eight weeks without starting during the winter months. The car is 100% stock.
I pull the choke, hit the starter, pump the gas pedal maybe two or three times, hit the starter again and it starts each and every time.
I take a lot of time setting all of my cars up correctly and have never even considered an electric pump.
Vapor lock? Yeah, I have heard of such things.
Perhaps I'm biased but in 50+ years of flatheads, I have had amazingly good experiences.
I don't recall ever having too little battery or not enough fuel where it needs to be.
Just set the car up correct and forget about the "band aids".
Great responses again. Thanks Kube. I may have to talk the owner into starting it on a schedule during the winter while she is gone. Might make it a little more happy when she goes to start it for the first time.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:39 PM   #20
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanspeed View Post
Great responses again. Thanks Kube. I may have to talk the owner into starting it on a schedule during the winter while she is gone. Might make it a little more happy when she goes to start it for the first time.
A schedule of starting an engine, say, once a week, running it at idle till it warms up, doing this during a storage period of a year or more, sounds good so you can sleep well. Truth is, you’re not doing any good at all, and in fact, you’re harming your engine, your exhaust system, your tires, your battery, and your brake system unless you have mechanical brakes. A car needs to be driven, not just start up and idle.