Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2024, 02:47 PM   #1
jeepguy1948

Default Steering column?

How realistic would it be to shorten the steering for some room (I have Mel’s). I have a ‘28 RPU which everybody knows is tiny. The biggest problem of course is footroom but even though I am only 5’ 10” 165 Lbs my elbows run into my chest when turning.
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 02:57 PM   #2
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Steering column?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy1948 View Post
How realistic would it be to shorten the steering for some room (I have Mel’s). I have a ‘28 RPU which everybody knows is tiny. The biggest problem of course is footroom but even though I am only 5’ 10” 165 Lbs my elbows run into my chest when turning.
Talk to Randy (Mel's) Randy (super nice guy) welds the top of the '28 steering column to the F-100 shaft. He may be able to give you some advice. But you will have to shorten the control rods and outer column also.

Make sure you don't create more problems for yourself. In my '30 Town Sedan, which has way more room than your '28RPU, with the stock column, my leg gets trapped between the shifter and steering wheel with my foot on the brake and I shift to low. I had the bend my shifter 3" to the right for leg clearance. Still tight. I usually just start in 2nd low (I have a Mitchell) and shift to 2nd high for around town driving.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 06:28 PM   #3
Joe K

Another solution for you may be to "thin" the "back" of the bench seat.

I have the CC pickup. (avatar) I bought Snyder's "authentic" seat springs (back when they were cheap) and had them covered down at Lebaron Bonney in Amesbury (A short distance from home.) So my seat cushions are about as authentic as can be found today.

I'm 6'-3" - it's a squeeze with the original seats. So I made up a replacement back using ANOTHER seat covering from LB - and 2" of "Searofoam" which survivors of the 1960s may remember as Sears-Roebuck's answer for dog poop on your living room couch. The new cover is wrapped around the pre-cut cushion and plywood back, and then stapled on the back-side.

It works. Try it yourself for thickness with boat cushions as thickness.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 01-09-2024 at 09:03 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 09:24 PM   #4
Jim/GA

Yes, the "thin seat back cushion" is the answer.

I have also seen this done on other body styles where the seat is not movable, not adjustable (roadster, phaeton, etc.).
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 11:22 PM   #5
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy1948 View Post
It is quite realistic if you can find a machine shop that already has the tooling.
No shop is going to buy tools for just for that job though.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 11:58 PM   #6
Ray in La Mesa

My '28 roadster p/u has '74 Mazda bucket seats. The seat back is about 3" thick & gives me plenty of leg room, yea- I'm only 5'6". but the real challenge is enter & exit as the door is way to narrow. The cab needs to be lengthened. Brookville Roadster has a repro longer cab but they stretched it in the wrong way. They lengthened in the rear 1/4 panel when it needs to be lengthened in the door to make easier access.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote