Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-16-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
ericr

Default Barn Topic Procedure

a lot of us have noticed that often a topic is posted that has been discussed before, sometimes ad nauseum.

I don't know anything about computers but if a member goes to post a topic, could the site first give the member the option of going to an automatic search under his proposed questions?

I also understand that doing a search anywhere, on any site, can be complicated....when doing a search, I get lots of hits that are not really on point.

But if the site offered some kind of concurrent search option, it would be a source of quicker information for the questioner.....and less side arguments within the Forum.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
roccaas

Default Re: Barn Topic Procedure

Or the ability to "sticky note" repeated topics to the top of page 1.

Best oil to use
Tilly vs Zenith
Floater brakes
600 wt
etc....
Old 04-16-2014, 02:04 PM   #3
newshirt

A few random thoughts of questionable value...

1. It is unlikely that the forum software could produce any relevant search results based on the words in the initial thread post. It is just too hard for software to read people's minds.

2. Too many sticky's clutter the main window. Nobody wants to scroll past them every time they log in. On that note... I say it's time to drop the "political" sticky. But then put it back if things get out of hand.

3. Repeating the same questions is not a bad thing. People with legitimate questions get lots of answers! And after a while, the "which oil do I use" threads stop showing up.

4. Instead of replying with, "This topic has been discussed ad nauseam. Try the search function!" we could perform the search ourselves and add a few links for the poster to consider.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
A few random thoughts of questionable value...

1. It is unlikely that the forum software could produce any relevant search results based on the words in the initial thread post. It is just too hard for software to read people's minds.

2. Too many sticky's clutter the main window. Nobody wants to scroll past them every time they log in. On that note... I say it's time to drop the "political" sticky. But then put it back if things get out of hand.

3. Repeating the same questions is not a bad thing. People with legitimate questions get lots of answers! And after a while, the "which oil do I use" threads stop showing up.

4. Instead of replying with, "This topic has been discussed ad nauseam. Try the search function!" we could perform the search ourselves and add a few links for the poster to consider.
Hey Ray,
Good thoughts all ! IMO, I haven't seen many, if any , political thread here is a long time. And, same for 'FIGHTS' ? Please point out an example of what poster considers a fight ! If one considers opposing view points and input of posters/participators ....as fight, well....everyone has an opinion,eh !

I'm not good with this new fangled tech, and do not know how to post links, but good idea, thanks !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
ford3

in spite of what some think on here, they do not run this site, Ryan does,for those guys instead of getting shi**y, uptight,or snotty, it takes less time to answer the question than saying that subject has been beat to death, do a search, just answer the question or ignore the post, some guys are new on here and may not have seen the original post or answer, be nice and helpful, answer or ingiore the the post, thats my feelings on that
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
Fred K-OR

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Question I have on this subject, is what word or words does the search we have try to hit on? Does it use only the title of the tread or does it go through the text? I think it would be good to know this so that people could enter their data to make it easer to search for information and get a hit.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #7
zzlegend

Thumbs up Re: Barn Topic Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford3 View Post
in spite of what some think on here, they do not run this site, Ryan does,for those guys instead of getting shi**y, uptight,or snotty, it takes less time to answer the question than saying that subject has been beat to death, do a search, just answer the question or ignore the post, some guys are new on here and may not have seen the original post or answer, be nice and helpful, answer or ingiore the the post, thats my feelings on that
Ditto
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
Question I have on this subject, is what word or words does the search we have try to hit on? Does it use only the title of the tread or does it go through the text? I think it would be good to know this so that people could enter their data to make it easer to search for information and get a hit.
You can do the advaced search and search just the title for key words, or you can search the entire thread for key words.

Sometimes I can't find what I'm looking for by using the search, but sometimes I find what I want after clicking on several of the different threads that turn up.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #9
bikejunk

fo a WWI forum I belong to we have a page that answers most of the questions that get asked almost every day ( what were the causes of ww1) they still ask anyway
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:14 PM   #10
QGolden

One thing that really helps folks search, and receive good info down the road is to clearly state your question in the Title Block, and the part of the car your question is about. A post titled "Brake adjustment" comes up more relevant in a future search than "car can't stop" or some such. That makes it easier to search, the easier it is, the more folks will do it.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #11
tbirdtbird
BANNED

haha I thought ad nauseum was the whole point of this Barn! (Smiley)

QGolden is right on. Often the bolded thread titles bear little or no resemblance to the enclosed question; the questions are vague (asking an alternator question but not telling us voltage or polarity; one guy recently asked something so vague about babbit it was impossible to tell what he wanted, despite much prodding); some of the answers given are so far off base resulting in a lot of out-and-out wrong info popping up in a search, thus requiring wading thru a lot of posts to try to decipher the correct answer if the searcher even knows it is incorrect, etc.
My favorite reply, and it happens a LOT, is 'your problem is XYZ, I think, but I don't really know since this has never happened to me and I don't really know'. Really? then WHY did you post an answer at all????? Trying to get your post count up to 'lifetime expert'?

Thus the search function is overwhelmed. But I seriously doubt this is ever gonna change. Like Tom, I have done searches, and always end up wading thru a lot of chaff to get to the wheat. If Ryan is willing to maintain the bandwidth then so be it.

I will say that the quality of the questions and the quality of the answers has deteriorated since I joined 2 yrs ago. I am slowly straying away from this place. I mean, really, a guy says his motor runs great at low-medium speeds and coughs spits and pops when he tries to open the throttle any more and a response is a stuck valve?
So now the novices and people we want to help are gonna start pulling side covers or heads and banging on valves with a hammer as a first thought?

Our answers should be along the lines of a diagnostic approach to follow, such as Mike(FL) has with that electrical paradigm he has. Diagnostically oriented answers are sorely missing, instead ppl are just shooting from the hip based on little info.

Then again lack of others doing diagnostics is what keeps some of us in business!
A guy brought his late model Camaro with electrical trouble. He says the car starts fine in the AM, but then the battery 'uses up all its electricity' and runs dead and if he shuts it off it won't restart, and has had to have it towed home several times. Then mysteriously the car will magically restart in the AM. (OK the battery Goddess visits overnight and touches it with her magic wand). And 2 diff shops cannot figure out what the dickens is wrong with the car!! Really! We had it fixed for 15 min labor only no parts, after he had spent a ton of bucks on batteries, starters, etc etc.
And I am not going to give the answer because the pros here already know what was wrong.

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 04-16-2014 at 07:25 PM.
tbirdtbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:28 PM   #12
Marshall57

In an effort to search before I ask, I have run across a problem of knowing how to do effective searches. When searching an issue if you use more than one word the search will break your search up into individual words and present each incident of these.

I myself, and I'm sure that I am not alone, could use a set of quick and basic lessons on the best way to get results while searching. Are the Bolin logic parameters active? If they are they might be explained, if not what can be used in an advanced search?

There is a sticky note about ford sites that really helps and is extremely useful, there might also be a sticky note that could give us who are challenged a fighting chance at finding an issue before asking for help.

I have read where people are referring to archive tomes of knowledge referred to as old archives from before the site was reorganized, how do you access these?

This may solve a few of the problems that keep repeating.
Just my two cents.
Marshall57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:19 PM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

Marshall57, everything from Shelly's Fordbarn is lost forever the last I heard, so there is no searching any of that information.
Yesterday I tried to search for a picture I know I had posted to Fordbarn, and nothing turned up, so I can only guess I must have posted it during the time Shelly owned Fordbarn.

As mentioned, having the right words in the title line is very important. If the question happens to be about a particular part I will often also put the Ford part number in the title line. That way just doing a search with the part number should turn up the thread.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:42 AM   #14
QGolden

Tom,
Isn't this the "old Ford Barn?"

https://fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:11 AM   #15
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGolden View Post
Tom,

yes it is but a minuscule of what was originally there... 99% was lost mainly due to the quality of the "old school" forum layout that was used much like ahooga.

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 04-17-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:55 AM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGolden View Post
Tom,

Yes, I guess you're right, but as Mitch said, there is almost nothing of the old Fordbarn there. Only 6 pages, no names, no pictures, and almost no replies, so I found nothing of value.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #17
Rowdy
BANNED

While it contains some snippits of the first couple of months, the wealth of info over the years is lost and gone forever. A crying shame in my opinion. I will not comment farther. Rod
Old 04-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #18
Sparky

Speaking as a relatively new Model A-er, I do try to run a search before I post a question I suspect has been answered before. The search function is not the greatest, as some of you know. Ryan has no control over this.

However I have learned a great deal by reading the answers to other member's questions (yes, even the "which oil" ones!) I've also been around this forum long enough to have seen many repeat topics, but I don't mind. No one's forcing me to read them.

So I suppose what I'm trying to say to the veterans is, sure, you may have known the answers for decades and are sick of seeing the same questions over and over, but for us newcomers it's a great way to get "up to speed" on our 85-year-old vehicles.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #19
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
POST #3 thought #1 pretty much answers this question...I think
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #20
dumb person

So one poster who knows a lot about model As once posted how he said he did not like forum users "freeloading off his knowledge" or words to that effect. Sounds kind of elitist. Writing was invented for a reason & that reason was not to keep people in the dark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
We had it fixed for 15 min labor only no parts, after he had spent a ton of bucks on batteries, starters, etc etc.
And I am not going to give the answer because the pros here already know what was wrong.
Would you explain that for people like me who do not know? Likely more than just a dirty battery post?

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote