Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #21
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Default Re: Barn Topic Procedure

Hmmmm. I have been very generous with my experience which I only have because so many others were willing to share with me over the years. Sharing info responsibly clearly is the point of a forum.

So here goes:
The other end of the neg (grounded) battery cable was not connected to anything. At all. Just dangling. We knew it was a faulty ground from the owner's explanation, but a not-connected ground cable was a nice twist. Yet my nephew grabbed the neg. cable at the battery and gave a yank and up pops the other free end of the cable. Smart lad that he is. The only reason the car started when cold was it used the 10-gauge body ground coming from the main ground cable right at the battery post clamp the way everyone does it now. And a cold cable is more conductive than a warm or hot one, so absorbing heat from the engine compartment was just enough to push this meager connection right over the top.

But you get credit for thinking bad connection at the battery, which happens also. Moral is never take a ground for granted. It is part of the circuit and it must make a clean reliable connection, and the closer to the starter it does this the better since that is your heaviest amp draw device. Make the starter happy and everything else will be, too
Old 04-18-2014, 12:03 AM   #22
dumb person

Thanks. i figured it might be something like that but it has been a long time since i saw a glowing choke cable!

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:43 AM   #23
Chris in CT

Guys,
I'm sorry about this, but I seem to be riding my broom this morning. Can't we think of this as having coffee and a doughnut together on a Saturday morning with conversation about our cars? A nice way to connect and exchange, and a welcome for the new guy or gal who wants join in the shop talk? There is a finite amount of information about the Model A Ford. If we keep talking about it, we will ultimately exhaust our topics. Do want want to give up the coffee and doughnuts and conversation with each other, or do we want to stick together and "talk about the weather"? Think of all the time that we can share in each others' company chewing the fat about what motor oil to use! Who cares that it is the equivalent of "looks like its gonna rain..."
Chris in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #24
Growley bear

When someone asks a question I will help if I know the answer I don't care how many times it has been asked. I will help wherever I can and feel good about helping a fellow Ford Barner. I for one do not feel bothered answering questions. I get my fur ruffled by people with ATTITUDE. Something that I learned while in Uncle Sam's Army is that, "the only dumb question is the one not asked." I still subscribe to that train of thought.
I wonder how many times a teacher with many years of experience answers the same questions?
The Model A Ford is an enjoyable hobby to me and I for one enjoy answering/reading the same old questions. So ask away and welcome.

Chet
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:15 AM   #25
Growley bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post
Thanks. i figured it might be something like that but it has been a long time since i saw a glowing choke cable!
Or clutch cable?
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #26
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccaas View Post
Or the ability to "sticky note" repeated topics to the top of page 1.

Best oil to use
Tilly vs Zenith
Floater brakes
600 wt
etc....
You are right on target and on the 'etc.' I would say "bent frame at cowl" and "headlight socket/light switch problems" are a perennial source of frustrations from members.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote