Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #1
1930pu

Default installing a motometer

I have a repro radiator in my 1930 rpu, I was wondering if anyone ever drilled a stock cap and installed a motometer in it instead of the locking cap, even after grinding the base the locking part doesn't seem to fit right, thanks, Jim
1930pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:02 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: installing a motometer

Yes, I have a couple original caps that someone drilled holes in them for the motometer.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
700rpm

Tom,
Sent you a PM.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #4
Ron Lachniet

I put one in a repro cap but I had to make new tabs because when you drill the hole it ruins the tabs. I found some stainless steel and cut it so the center was wide enough to drill a hole rounded the end of the tabs to match the original and it works great. I just worry that someone may borrow it in some parking lot and leave me stranded. I am going to carry an extra cap in my trunk just in case.
Ron Lachniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
1wonton
BANNED

I've lost a number of radiator caps over the years to souvenir hunters (thieves).
1wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
redmodelt

Must have been a problem even back in the day judging by the number of devices to prevent borrowing someone radiator caps that were made.
I would ether find a cap that has the hole in it or buy a new cap so a good original is not messed up by putting a hole in it.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
montanafordman

I have a repo motormeter and had to do a bit of grinding with a dremel to make it fit right, but with some trial and error I got it to fit the way it should. I'll try and post a picture later of what I had to do.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wonton View Post
I've lost a number of radiator caps over the years to souvenir hunters (thieves).

My first Motometer worked like a swiss watch. It was a marvelous tool but lost to a thief at a high school football game. The current motometer with the lockable cap has prevented many attempts to pocket it. BUT the darn thing does not register heat. I'm not able to connect with the radiator fluid 'cause of the height. All of the suggested fixes for this havent worked. I miss that orginal gem.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wonton View Post
I always use beat up junky caps just for this reason.

It's a shame things have to be this way, but they aren't getting any better.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #10
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I always use beat up junky caps just for this reason.

It's a shame things have to be this way, but they aren't getting any better.
There are people who will steal anything, just because they can, and they have always been with us. It's probably a consistent pecentage of the population, but with more people, there are just logically more thieves.

I've never lost a cap, but someone at the 1984 National in Portland stole my Zenith 3 right off the car, and replaced it with a crappy Z-2! I couldn't fiigure out why my car was suddenly running so poorly until I lifted the hood and saw what happened. National and regional meets always make me nervous, and I never drive my A's to swap meets.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #11
jkeesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
There are people who will steal anything, just because they can, and they have always been with us. It's probably a consistent pecentage of the population, but with more people, there are just logically more thieves.

I've never lost a cap, but someone at the 1984 National in Portland stole my Zenith 3 right off the car, and replaced it with a crappy Z-2! I couldn't fiigure out why my car was suddenly running so poorly until I lifted the hood and saw what happened. National and regional meets always make me nervous, and I never drive my A's to swap meets.
You have to admit, if someone swapped out your carb at a show that took some balls. No brains, but some balls.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #12
CarlG

Not that it's any big deterrent, but I typically don't leave my hood open at shows, and am usually close by, or next to a friend who is, all the time (except when it's time to eat.) Not 100%, but so far so good.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #13
montanafordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post

Wow.... thats sorry to hear... I hoped (and still believe) that Model A'ers were much more honest than that. Probably got burned by that 0.001% although even that is too high. Some people have no conscience.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #14
redmodelt

Re; " BUT the darn thing does not register heat. I'm not able to connect with the radiator fluid 'cause of the height. All of the suggested fixes for this havent worked. I miss that orginal gem."
Moto-meters don't come in contact with the water in the radiator, they measure the air temp above the water.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #15
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Re; " BUT the darn thing does not register heat. I'm not able to connect with the radiator fluid 'cause of the height. All of the suggested fixes for this havent worked. I miss that orginal gem."
Moto-meters don't come in contact with the water in the radiator, they measure the air temp above the water.

In 1956 my moto-meter registered the temp perfectly if it did or didn't sit in the water, I can't remember exactly. But it worked. I miss it. I knew when to put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator or clean the plugs or set the timing. Some one lifted it. Now it don't work but it has a locking cap which is why I still have it.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:52 AM   #16
Bob-A

Red face Re: installing a motometer

My dad (now deceased) told me once that he use to steal hood ornaments off of cars back in the late 20's to early 30's to fund his cigarette habit!
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:03 AM   #17
larrys40

Jim
I would use the correct repro flip top cap
If you loosen the heg screws that hold the tabs a little , and locate the cap with the hinge to the back , I would suggest then using a pair of bent needle nose pliers with the cap open and locate the tab properly so it pulls up square in the locators and tighten carefully the hex screws . When both are tight you shouldn't be able to rotate the lower base
This way your cap is tight and no one will walk away with it. All radiator necks Aren't located the same so there may be some challenges
Good luck
Larry s

I know you asked about drilling but I would recommend against that and use the flip top
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #18
1930pu

I filed the bosses where the screws go to hold it to the radiator, it finally fit, let the truck run for about an hour and it never got over 150 degrees on the top of the radiator and 140 on the bottom, I don't have a thermostat, I used a pyrometer. It is a new repro radiator, rebuild engine and rebuilt water pump, and I ground the corners of the impellers down a little. So I guess I am good to go. The gauge on the motometer never moved should that be hot enough for it to work or will it be just for looks? By the way it is made by Vintique
1930pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #19
Purdy Swoft

Motometers and quail radiator caps are mostly ornaments and seldom function as a temperture gauge. The flip top caps always ruin the filler neck so that original caps will no longer fit. I recommend an inside mounted temperature gauge, I prefer the mechanical sending unit style. A good working temp gauge is probably the most important gauge to have and can be removed without damage to the car.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:43 AM   #20
eagle

My Repro Quail works. My A has never overheated so haven't tested it definitively but on a hot day, running hard, I start to see the red in the bottom. Slow down a bit, it dissapears again. Got mine from Mac's a couple years ago, I've been happy with it. I raise quail so the quail cap is fitting. Sure looks good from inside the car to see that quail flying ahead of you....OH I MISS DRIVING THE A!!! THIS WEATHER IS GETTING REAL OLD!!!!! Going to get it out in two weeks, I don't care what the weather is like!
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote