Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
NCDave

Default 30 Tudor owner, new to this forum

Hello, I'm newly-registered here after lurking for a while off and on, and finally decided to sign-on. I'm in eastern North Carolina in a small farming community. I have a 1930 Tudor "driver", that I have owned for many years, but it never will be a show car, as I am not into that realm. It was a local friend's car when I was a boy, and I used to go with him and his son to hunt on it (cold rides to the woods and back), and it was that owner's son's college jalopy back in the 50's. The Tudor is a survivor, and the owner's shed was collapsing around it when he offered to sell it to me at long last. Having admired it for years, I was thrilled to get it.

When I acquired the car, it was brush-painted some kind of lime green with yellow wheels, and it had not run for about 15 years. I had the engine rebuilt and did some basic running gear restoration and a less-than-perfect black paint job with creme wheels via rattle can (at least it is not lime green anymore!). It has been a local fun vehicle over the years but it remains in need of an interior and good paint, and more frequent use now that I have overcome some health problems.
Being a fairly poor mechanic, I had work done by old-timer mechanics here who were familiar with the Model A; also, I was a subscriber to the club magazines for years, and am glad to find this forum now.
Another current local friend is now helping me get it going again after being stored for about four years. May get a pretty woman to drive it in some parades later in the year, once we deem it dependable. It will only be driven on less-heavily-traveled country roads...no four-lanes.

Wheel paint is needed, and my research here and otherwise indicates that a March 30 car should have black wheels. I am trying to stay original with it, with a few minor exceptions. Thankfully, I did not go with my boyhood dream of a chopped, dropped, and butchered hot rod.

I confess to using mostly J.C. Whitney parts back in my early efforts, but thankfully discovered Snyder's since then and have used them since. They give great service. I see that Bratton's, Bert's and a few others come well-recommended here, too.

Current personal debate is whether it is worth it to replace the old tires bought about 25 years ago, but still rolling; and it has a jackleg metal top section that I hope to replace with an original kit. Advice and guidance is most appreciated from those of you who are willing to offer such to me!

Photo attached, taken at a friend's house. License tag is an old one, not current.

Thanks. David

Last edited by NCDave; 09-25-2014 at 12:53 PM. Reason: clarification
NCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
ronn

Default Re: 30 Tudor owner, new to this forum

Well, first of all, I wouldnt worry about painting the car if you are going to have it driven by beautiful women. Nobody will notice all of the $ spent on the paint.........

Concerning the tires, if the car is going to be driven 5mph in parades and not get out on the roads, the old tires will probably last awhile. If you plan on any serious driving, absolutely replace the tires for safety.
Welcome welcome welcome!
Car looks good as is.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
insomniacshotrods

Nice car sir, with lots of character to it. Id replace the what looks like the yellow brake light lens with a new red one, and maybe add another light on the other side and or third brake light in rear window. Im paranoid about getting rear ended, had two novas and got tagged in both years ago ,and have a lot of neck pain/problems. People just dont pay attention anymore. Turn signals if driving in town a lot helps because hand signals aren't known as well now adays. Very cool car though. Great start. Post your progress for us.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:41 AM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

WELCOME

As you brought it up it must be a concern of yours, change them and feel better. I would get Universals of another lower cost tire.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
NCDave

Thanks for the replies here! I am enjoying reading all the posts, especially ones about the 1930 Tudor. Ronn: you have a great point about people just noticing the pretty women! My experience in the past at local events is that women like this car quite a bit...one reason I want to get back on the road with it! I am a single man!
My buddy was helping me this weekend...he painted the engine antique Ford green...and the radiator hose black..oh well. Can replace that.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:08 PM   #6
Purdy Swoft

If the tires are nylon cord and in reasonable condition, I would run them. I've never had a nylon cord tire fail unless it wore through to the air. Small checks in the tires are nothing to worry about as long as they are nylon cord. Tires are getting pretty expensive but if it makes you feel better, go ahead and get new ones. just my experience. The car looks good like it is
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:17 PM   #7
NCDave

My tires on the car are Allstates, purchased many years ago, but holding air. I am going to remove them soon for the wheel-painting process, and will inspect them well at the time. Next project is new glass for the windshield, and hope to be able to use the existing original frame once the old glass is removed.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:33 PM   #8
Purdy Swoft

The only Allstate tire that failed for me was a new old stock rayon cord that I bought on eBay, that was made before nylon came out. If I had known that it was rayon , I would never have bought it. I installed it on the spare tire mount of my speedster, went to wash my hands and it popped like a gun. If they don't have nylon written on them, replace them by all means.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:25 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
If the tires are nylon cord and in reasonable condition, I would run them. I've never had a nylon cord tire fail unless it wore through to the air. Small checks in the tires are nothing to worry about as long as they are nylon cord. Tires are getting pretty expensive but if it makes you feel better, go ahead and get new ones. just my experience. The car looks good like it is
I agree and I also run some old tires as long as they aren't the old rayon cord and badly cracked. I have more faith in some of the old tires (and especially inner tubes) than in the new ones from the far east.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:59 AM   #10
nickair

How do you plan to paint your wheels?

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
L.D.

I have 40 horses in the garage.
Only feed them when I want to take them out.

31 Model A Tudor 55B

Nick
nickair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:25 AM   #11
frank mcdaniels

Dave, Welcome to a really fun and sometimes frustrating hobby. Your introduction to Model A's is alot like many here. One thing I would suggest is save up for new tires and when you can spend the money, get your wheels sandblasted and find a powder coater to powder coat them. They will turn out much better than painting them and will last much longer. It's really an exciting thing to do on an old car because it make them look so much better right away. Plug away and learn how to do as much as you can by yourself. Frank
frank mcdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:28 AM   #12
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank mcdaniels View Post
Dave, Welcome to a really fun and sometimes frustrating hobby. Your introduction to Model A's is alot like many here. One thing I would suggest is save up for new tires and when you can spend the money, get your wheels sandblasted and find a powder coater to powder coat them. They will turn out much better than painting them and last much longer. It's really an exciting thing to do on an old car because it make them look so much better right away. Plug away and learn how to do as much as you can by yourself. Frank
i concur
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #13
Duffy1

Welcome . If you have not done so ,suggest you join your local Model A club.
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #14
brett4christ

Dave,

I am also in Eastern NC, Greenville to be exact! AND I have an early 31 Tudor! Small world!
brett4christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:11 PM   #15
NCDave

Thanks again for the replies. I will clarify by saying I am not really "new" to Model A's, as I have owned one since the 70's. But I have not driven it for several years, and am now attempting to get it back on the road. As for painting wheels vs powdercoating, I have weighed both options, and for now at least, plan to just paint them black, as per the "correct" option for the car, as I read it. I'm in the VFD with a local auto painter, and he is going to do that. Never joined a club, and have no local club nearby to my knowledge. I read up and did take the Restorer magazine and other such magazines for a few years---need to re-up there. I did a lot of study on the Model A for a while, and became fairly familiar with its workings there, but the knowledge on this board will be a great asset. There was no internet when I got this car!! There were, however, some older mechanics that gave me great help in the past---they knew about axle keys, sparks, and such.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:17 PM   #16
mshmodela

Welcome, you're a very good writer --enjoyed your story. We all come from different background's and mechanical experience or lack thereof in my case. Lots of experts here and good reading...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #17
NCDave

Brett...I sent you a PM. David
Old 07-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #18
NCDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
Welcome, you're a very good writer --enjoyed your story. We all come from different background's and mechanical experience or lack thereof in my case. Lots of experts here and good reading...
Thanks Mike! Like that Model A in your avatar!
Old 07-23-2014, 09:20 PM   #19
Tom Wesenberg

NCDave, what is VFD? Thanks
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #20
NCDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
NCDave, what is VFD? Thanks
Tom,
VFD = Volunteer Fire Department
Sorry for that laziness on my part!
BTW, my department still owns our first engine acquired in 1955 from Portsmouth, VA. It is a 1942 Ford pumper. Back when you could ride the tailboard to a fire, I had some cold trips on that thing, but it was right much fun, too. It is "retired" now, and needs a new fuel tank and some work, but we want to make it parade-worthy at some point soon. We are a very small/poor department, and will be doing some fund raisers if we do this.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #21
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank mcdaniels View Post
Dave, Welcome to a really fun and sometimes frustrating hobby. Your introduction to Model A's is alot like many here. One thing I would suggest is save up for new tires and when you can spend the money, get your wheels sandblasted and find a powder coater to powder coat them. They will turn out much better than painting them and will last much longer. It's really an exciting thing to do on an old car because it make them look so much better right away. Plug away and learn how to do as much as you can by yourself. Frank
Don't have your wheels sandblasted and then go find a powder coater. Start with the powder coater. If he is good he will probably want to sandblast them himself (or recommend someone) and immediately powder coat them. Be sure to check the wheels for run out and out-of-round before you have them powder coated.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #22
NCDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
The only Allstate tire that failed for me was a new old stock rayon cord that I bought on eBay, that was made before nylon came out. If I had known that it was rayon , I would never have bought it. I installed it on the spare tire mount of my speedster, went to wash my hands and it popped like a gun. If they don't have nylon written on them, replace them by all means.

@ Purdy Swoft and Tom W:
I had some computer problems but back online tonight. I checked my old tires and they are indeed Allstate nylon. Thanks. Feel better about them now.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #23
NCDave

UPDATE: The Tudor started and ran just fine today, after new spark plugs were installed by a buddy of mine! This was the first time it has run in a good while, other than firing for a few short seconds recently. It is a beautiful sound, hearing Miss Annie run!
Old 07-30-2014, 11:28 PM   #24
Brother Hesekiel

Hi Dave,
frequenting this site, it's easy to be sucked into the vortex of obsessive originality. My path out is to watch back-to-back episodes of "The Waltons" where John-Boy drives his beige colored Coupe, painted with house paint and Dad Walton drives his AA delightfully unwashed. I personally find this mesmerizingly genuine, as I'm not into the show (off) thingi either. I have personally painted my Model T Speedster with Rustoleum, not because I couldn't afford a high-end paint job, but because Rustoleum black fades a bit quicker, which is the best way to duplicate what original paint would look like. I suggest you focus on driving your A, and be true to the car and the spirit of the time, instead of worrying about finishes. For a real car guy, powdercoat is as much a deadly sin as two-stage paint.

Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #25
NCDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Hesekiel View Post
Hi Dave,
frequenting this site, it's easy to be sucked into the vortex of obsessive originality. My path out is to watch back-to-back episodes of "The Waltons" where John-Boy drives his beige colored Coupe, painted with house paint and Dad Walton drives his AA delightfully unwashed. I personally find this mesmerizingly genuine, as I'm not into the show (off) thingi either. I have personally painted my Model T Speedster with Rustoleum, not because I couldn't afford a high-end paint job, but because Rustoleum black fades a bit quicker, which is the best way to duplicate what original paint would look like. I suggest you focus on driving your A, and be true to the car and the spirit of the time, instead of worrying about finishes. For a real car guy, powdercoat is as much a deadly sin as two-stage paint.
Brother,
Thanks for your interesting post above. I am with you on it. I have not varied much from stock with my efforts to maintain my car over the years. It pains me to see some TV shows where they chop and cut original Model A or 30's Ford bodies....and then paint them some kind of strange metallic green or other odd color.
But then again----I am thankful for the freedoms we have in the USA.