Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #21
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: 30 Tudor owner, new to this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank mcdaniels View Post
Dave, Welcome to a really fun and sometimes frustrating hobby. Your introduction to Model A's is alot like many here. One thing I would suggest is save up for new tires and when you can spend the money, get your wheels sandblasted and find a powder coater to powder coat them. They will turn out much better than painting them and will last much longer. It's really an exciting thing to do on an old car because it make them look so much better right away. Plug away and learn how to do as much as you can by yourself. Frank
Don't have your wheels sandblasted and then go find a powder coater. Start with the powder coater. If he is good he will probably want to sandblast them himself (or recommend someone) and immediately powder coat them. Be sure to check the wheels for run out and out-of-round before you have them powder coated.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #22
NCDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
The only Allstate tire that failed for me was a new old stock rayon cord that I bought on eBay, that was made before nylon came out. If I had known that it was rayon , I would never have bought it. I installed it on the spare tire mount of my speedster, went to wash my hands and it popped like a gun. If they don't have nylon written on them, replace them by all means.

@ Purdy Swoft and Tom W:
I had some computer problems but back online tonight. I checked my old tires and they are indeed Allstate nylon. Thanks. Feel better about them now.
NCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #23
NCDave

UPDATE: The Tudor started and ran just fine today, after new spark plugs were installed by a buddy of mine! This was the first time it has run in a good while, other than firing for a few short seconds recently. It is a beautiful sound, hearing Miss Annie run!
Old 07-30-2014, 11:28 PM   #24
Brother Hesekiel

Hi Dave,
frequenting this site, it's easy to be sucked into the vortex of obsessive originality. My path out is to watch back-to-back episodes of "The Waltons" where John-Boy drives his beige colored Coupe, painted with house paint and Dad Walton drives his AA delightfully unwashed. I personally find this mesmerizingly genuine, as I'm not into the show (off) thingi either. I have personally painted my Model T Speedster with Rustoleum, not because I couldn't afford a high-end paint job, but because Rustoleum black fades a bit quicker, which is the best way to duplicate what original paint would look like. I suggest you focus on driving your A, and be true to the car and the spirit of the time, instead of worrying about finishes. For a real car guy, powdercoat is as much a deadly sin as two-stage paint.

Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #25
NCDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Hesekiel View Post
Hi Dave,
frequenting this site, it's easy to be sucked into the vortex of obsessive originality. My path out is to watch back-to-back episodes of "The Waltons" where John-Boy drives his beige colored Coupe, painted with house paint and Dad Walton drives his AA delightfully unwashed. I personally find this mesmerizingly genuine, as I'm not into the show (off) thingi either. I have personally painted my Model T Speedster with Rustoleum, not because I couldn't afford a high-end paint job, but because Rustoleum black fades a bit quicker, which is the best way to duplicate what original paint would look like. I suggest you focus on driving your A, and be true to the car and the spirit of the time, instead of worrying about finishes. For a real car guy, powdercoat is as much a deadly sin as two-stage paint.
Brother,
Thanks for your interesting post above. I am with you on it. I have not varied much from stock with my efforts to maintain my car over the years. It pains me to see some TV shows where they chop and cut original Model A or 30's Ford bodies....and then paint them some kind of strange metallic green or other odd color.
But then again----I am thankful for the freedoms we have in the USA.