Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2023, 07:40 AM   #1
SchmidtMachine

Default 427 Tunnel port value

So I've been offered the chance to buy some 427 parts. I know condition is everything, lets assume this stuff is all crack free, machine work done and ready to assemble, and no important numbers or unique history attached to any of it. There's a 1967 side oiler block and 3 tunnel port heads. Do any of you have any idea what, if anything this stuff could be worth? I don't want to steal this stuff, but I also don't want to over pay. Thanks in advance for any advice.
SchmidtMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 07:38 PM   #2
craig

Default Re: 427 Tunnel port value

If it truly is a cross bolted side oiler block, with the main caps and spacers and with a standard bore. All 427 blocks have thin cylinder walls, in most cases .020 is as far as you'll safely bore one. TP heads were never on a production engine, over the counter stuff and mainly for higher rpm engines. Like the block, the right guy might pay big if they aren't broken or cracked

This stuff is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay. Offer low, if the seller wants to sell, he might just take it, you can always go up. The market for these isn't what it was 40 years ago. The younger generation is making lots more hp in a much smaller package today
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 08:15 PM   #3
Flathead Fever

That helps the price that it's a 1967 block. I bought a medium riser engine built 100% all from NOS parts and never started from a neighbor for $10,000 and I don't even have anything to put it in, yet. I knew the history of its NOS parts that came from a Ford dealer, and I knew the engine builder, so I knew exactly what I was getting. The block is around a 1971 replacement block, still a real side-oiler but not as desirable as an earlier block. Years later at an Ford estate sale I bought a pair of used tunnel port heads and an NOS tunnel port 4V intake in the Ford box all for $60.00. I did not hear about the sale until a month after it had been picked clean, but those heads were still on the shelf, nobody knew what they were. The "Chevy car guy" handling the estate sale of "Ford parts" looked at those large round ports and said, "those are big, I know exactly what those are, those are 460 pickup heads, how about $60.00 for all of it and I'll toss in a Holley 4V carb to go on the intake." I said, "that sounds fair". To answer your question on the tunnel port value it depends on if your asking a Chevy guy or a Ford guy.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 07:47 PM   #4
34pickup

This won't help but I had a 67 Fairlane GT 427 tunnel port, 2x4s big input 4 speed, 9" nodular rearend, the whole shebang... Sold it in 1984 for $2000, the whole car. I think prices have come up some since then, don't ya think?
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote