Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
orange150

Default Lost Title to '28

Hey everybody, new to this forum.
A quick background: I inherited two Model A's from my father, one '28 hard cab which is in pieces, and one '29 Roadster which is complete.
I'd like to sell the '28 as I have too many projects as it is, but I can't seem to find titles or paperwork to it anywhere. It had paper work at one time because I remember riding around in it with my father when I was a child.

Where can I find a VIN, or any other ID # on the truck so I can fill out a lost title form?
Is there anything else I might need? I'm in NC by the way.

Thanks.
orange150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: Lost Title to '28

There are two places Ford stamped the ID number on model A's. The easiest is the one on the left side of the engine just below the head in the middle of the block. It should be of the format - *Axxxxxx*. The other place is on the left side of the frame on top when the cowl is, but it can't be seen without lifting or removing the body. The numbers were originally the same. Hope this helps.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
jkeesey

The vin is on the drivers side of the engine block just under the head. Unless the engine was changed that is your number.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
jmeckel

There are two places one on the frame near were you feet are when driving, the other and much easier to find is on the left side of the engine block if the engine has not been changed both of these numbers will be the same. Welcome to the best place to get Model A questions answered, there is a lot of knowledge on this site that is freely shared.

"If you choose to not decide, you still have made a choice!" RUSH

Don't tell me what you know..... Tell me what you have done.
jmeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange150 View Post
Hey everybody, new to this forum.
A quick background: I inherited two Model A's from my father, one '28 hard cab which is in pieces, and one '29 Roadster which is complete.
I'd like to sell the '28 as I have too many projects as it is, but I can't seem to find titles or paperwork to it anywhere. It had paper work at one time because I remember riding around in it with my father when I was a child.

Where can I find a VIN, or any other ID # on the truck so I can fill out a lost title form?
Is there anything else I might need? I'm in NC by the way.

Thanks.
Could you please explain to us just what you mean by a "hard cab"?

You say a "truck"...do you mean an AA "Closed Cab truck" or an A Closed Cab Pickup (if you know the difference)?

Thanks.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeckel View Post
There are two places one on the frame near were you feet are when driving, the other and much easier to find is on the left side of the engine block if the engine has not been changed both of these numbers will be the same. Welcome to the best place to get Model A questions answered, there is a lot of knowledge on this site that is freely shared.
Jon, the number by the driver's heel would be the assembly plant number and different than the engine and frame number. The assemly plant number should also begin with letters to identify the assembly plane, such as my A's all begine with "TC" for Twin Cities Assembly Plant.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
luckyal

Just remember the one on the engine is only correct if it is the origianl engine and has not been changed as many were. The one on the frame is your best bet !!
luckyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
Richard Wilson

Get in touch with the local NCDMV inspectors and they will tell you exactly what you will need to do. Do not try to short cut the system. Title laws and requirements are posted on NCDMV web site but may be confusing. Hopefully your dad had a "correct" numbers matching NC title in his name.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
H. L. Chauvin

Humble Opinion:

Suggest "first" submitting name of your father only to DMV.

Then, play dumb, & give as little additional information as possible about VIN no., motor no., frame no. etc., etc.

DMV has a laundry list of items at hand as to why "not" to issue a title.

Furthermore, if DMV sends an officer to inspect the vehicle:

1. And he finds your vehicle in parts, they could request that it be assembled and inspected again prior to their giving a title.

2. And finds a different motor number, could be more problems.

3. And cannot read the number on the frame, or find a VIN number, could be more problems.

Just a friendly "warning" that not all State DMV's are alike & not all Sub-District DMV's within a State are alike & not all DMV employees are alike.

Like many Government Agencies at any level, many need tons of paper work to show their heads of Governments in order to justify their positions -- more positions, more supervisors with higher pay.

Please don't ask how I know this -- the "Cliff" in many States today is not very far away.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 02-03-2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
orange150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Could you please explain to us just what you mean by a "hard cab"?
One has a hard top, full cab. The '29 is a soft top, convertible. Both are pickups.

Thanks for the info on where the #s are. I'm named after my father, so I hope that will make things a little easier.
orange150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

This is fron Jim Masons site;

Old 02-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
jkeesey

So they would be a closed cab pickup and a roadster pickup. Being your name is the same as your fathers you should be able to just try for a lost title. My brother went to transfer a vehicle from our fathers name into his and the notary wouldn't do it because he couldn't comprehend why he was transferring to the same name.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #13
Buz

I just went through the process of getting titles to two cars in NC where the titles were lost. Email me if you want some tips on how I got through the process. It's not too hard, but can get picky. The DMV inspector misspelled my name on his report and they kicked the whole thing out until he filed a corrected report. So expect some hoops to jump through and being turned away multiple times, even when it's their fault.

There must be some reason, but with any "antique" car title even after you have filed all the correct paperwork they are going to hold the title 60-90 days before mailing it to you.
Buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #14
jmeckel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Jon, the number by the driver's heel would be the assembly plant number and different than the engine and frame number. The assemly plant number should also begin with letters to identify the assembly plane, such as my A's all begine with "TC" for Twin Cities Assembly Plant.
Tom you are right, don't know what I was thinking. Sorry for the error

"If you choose to not decide, you still have made a choice!" RUSH

Don't tell me what you know..... Tell me what you have done.
jmeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #15
lance leblanc

Quote:
I'm confused, are there 3 places with a number?

1. Engine. (Side of block)
2. Frame (drivers heel)
3. Assembly plant (?)

I thought the frame number on top of the frame rail by the drivers heel was assembly plant number and referred to as the frame number.
Was there one on the fire wall?
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

See the picture in post #11 for the two places for the engine number. The assembly number is on the body floor, about where my heel would set with my feet straight down. I'll se if I can find a picture.

This is a body number from a 31 Delux Tudor, if I remember correctly.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 02-03-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:56 PM   #17
Bruce Adams

Is there a license plate on the cars?
If so, try getting a duplicate title based on the license tag.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #18
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance leblanc View Post
I'm confused, are there 3 places with a number?
Some cars more, but only two have anything to do with the titling the car as shown in the picture.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #19
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
See the picture in post #11 for the two places for the engine number. The assembly number is on the body floor, about where my heel would set with my feet straight down. I'll se if I can find a picture.

This is a body number from a 31 Delux Tudor, if I remember correctly.
Tom,
Interesting on that body number...For 1931 there were only 1239 Deluxe Tudors assembled at the Twin Cities (TC) plant...However the total number of vehicles assembled in 1931 at the TC plant were 22873.

I wonder why the high number of "33019"???

It sure would be nice to understand Ford's reasoning here...maybe the stamp guy grabed the "3" stamp instead of the "2" stamp????? Hmmmmmmm.....

Dave Sturges...can you help out here?

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:15 AM   #20
Tom Wesenberg

Pluck, this is a mystery. Could the number indicate the running total of Tudors built for all four years? Although it seems way too low for the running total.