Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2023, 09:14 AM   #1
drfromnc

Default F100 steering box in 34 pickup

The details; 34 pickup, 59a engine, reds header (for 34 w/ f100 box), f100 steering box, 34 steering tube and column drop, 34 dash panel. Cab is bolted in place but not shimmed as door and hood is not fitted yet.

So far I have followed Vern Tardels modifications to install f100 box and all is well except this step “ insert the sleeve of the steering box through the flange and the frame with 1/2” protruding to the outside. “

With the box in place as described above the steering tube hits the steering tube notch in the bottom of firewall. It appears as though I need to cut away one side of this factory notch? Does this sound right?

It also appears that the steering tube will be roughly 1/2” too long to allow the column drop holes to alight with dash mounting holes? This can be easily trimmed at the bottom of tube with tin snips.
drfromnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 02:00 PM   #2
34p-kup

Default Re: F100 steering box in 34 pickup

I did this very swap on my '34 pick-up a LONG time ago. I had the original steering box and the f100 for fit and comparison. I remember that I milled off (I'm a machinist) part of the f100 box (disassembled) mounting flange at a slight angle. It took more than a couple of tries to get the angle and depth right. I'm sure I left at least half the thickness of the flange intact on the front corner, but it allowed the box to move over and align with firewall cut out. Made angled shim or modified washers to properly support the other side securely. Also made changes to steering shaft to fit 34 steering wheel and collum to look original. One step farther set it all up to use light and horn rod too.
34p-kup is offline   Reply With Quote