Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-06-2022, 01:35 PM   #1
Model A Ron

Default Extended Cab Pickup

I am looking to build a 1929 extended cab pickup to solve my leg room issues. Has anyone done this? Photos and tips are welcome.

Thanks
Ron
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 03:05 PM   #2
Ray in La Mesa

Default Re: Extended Cab Pickup

There are extended repro open cab bodies on the market by Brookfield Roadster & they do give you more leg room. However. the problem with them is they extended the cab in the 1/4 panel area behind the door. They need to be extended with a longer door to facilitate getting in & out.I haven't seen any closed cab extensions except for custom made street rods.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 03:16 PM   #3
Keith True

There have been extended cab quarters for the 28-29 on the market for years.You use the same back,just change the sides,and fabricate a subrail and floor extension.You do have to slice the front of the bed off accordingly.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 04:46 PM   #4
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
There have been extended cab quarters for the 28-29 on the market for years.You use the same back,just change the sides,and fabricate a subrail and floor extension.You do have to slice the front of the bed off accordingly.
Thanks Keith

Any chance you have a photo of what one looks like when done? I was originally thinking I could push the bed back but after looking a friends 29 I see slicing off the front of the bed would be my only option......the things us tall guys will do for just a few more inches of leg room
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 05:57 PM   #5
Synchro909

There was a company here that made extended cabs for the 28/29 CCPUs. I'm pretty certain that due to lack of sales, they no longer do it. That surprises me because I think there are many like you (the OP) who would like a little more leg room.
One of their biggest problems was that US buyers wouldn't buy because they thought (wrongly) that if it is not made in the US, it is not well made. For that reason, I shelved plans to make Model A water pumps with ball bearings front and back and fitted with a ceramic seal, just like in any modern car.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:17 PM   #6
Keith True

Snyders still shows them.At least,they did a week ago.I came across them while looking for something else.They give you 6 inches of extra room.I know years ago you could buy a bed to fit the longer cab.
Old 11-06-2022, 07:41 PM   #7
Bob C

Here's a link to Snyder's https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/p...4431&cat=41817
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 12:19 AM   #8
Charlie Stephens

Try over on HAMB, I think I remember one over there that started life as a sedan. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ssage-board.5/

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:50 AM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

The biggest issue with Brookville's open-cab pickup bodies is you still have the ingress/egress difficulties because the door stays the same width.

If someone is looking to fabricate a longer cabin, in my opinion they would be better to use a 30/31 Tudor as the foundation and shorten that. Then from the belt moulding down, use 82B body rear cross-sill and sheetmetal patch panel materials to remake the lower half under the ¼ and rear windows.

Then to keep the shortened bed from looking too bizarre, fabricate a 66A DeLuxe Pickup Bed like used on Service Bed vehicles that attaches to the body (see attached pictures).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0102.jpg (54.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0103.jpg (39.2 KB, 71 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:02 AM   #10
denis4x4

I purchased the wooden C-cab with a great cowl and then found a pair of 28-29 CCPU doors. Bought the new back panels and 6-1/2" extended quarter panels from Howell through Bert's. The doors do not present a problem as the goal is to get leg room. If I were to do it again, I would put in a larger rear window. The hardest part was making the top wood out of white oak and flattening the roof contour. All the sheet metal bolt together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg AD3751C4-59B1-4087-BA37-DD6FE9BDB12B.jpeg (102.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 70B95EC0-93D4-4869-94EF-B37EE6532D82.jpg (82.8 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpeg 0A9AEB9E-369F-49B7-8419-1D00D1E8C0F2.jpeg (58.0 KB, 88 views)
Old 11-07-2022, 08:18 AM   #11
Stretch Cab

I'm 6' 6" and have never fit into my roadster pickup. I was a lot more limber when I got it 50 years ago. Some remove the original back cushion and replace it with a much thinner version which I'm sure helps some. Enough for me, I doubt it.
Old 11-07-2022, 09:07 AM   #12
eagle

I am 6' 4" with 36" inseam. People who are less tall think that us taller people think we are just a bit cramped in a std Model A, just a comfort issue. That's not it, it is definitely a safety factor. Getting big feet and long legs reconfigured for a quick stop is not always easy and an extra second or two can be an emergency situation. That is one of the reasons I have a Fordor. I moved the seat back a couple inches and bent the shifter to the right. Now it's comfortable and safe to drive. I can't imagine if I were 2 inches taller and trying to drive a CCPU. I can get in/out of one but it is too tight for me to drive safely.
Old 11-07-2022, 01:17 PM   #13
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
Thanks Keith

Any chance you have a photo of what one looks like when done? I was originally thinking I could push the bed back but after looking a friends 29 I see slicing off the front of the bed would be my only option......the things us tall guys will do for just a few more inches of leg room
The Brookville website (https://brookvilleroadster.com/) lists shortened bed sides to go with its extended roadster cab quarters.

Just my opinion but while the extended cab is okay, the shortened bed doesn't look right. Another option would be a wooden platform or stake bed like denis4x4 truck pictured in this thread.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 05:31 PM   #14
RCS41PU

This is a custom build with a longer than stock frame. Not what you are looking for but thought you might like to see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221023_122332.jpg (83.0 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 20221023_122537.jpg (126.7 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 20221023_122227.jpg (117.6 KB, 126 views)
RCS41PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:53 PM   #15
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS41PU View Post
This is a custom build with a longer than stock frame. Not what you are looking for but thought you might like to see.
Was the frame extended or is there a longer one from some other model? I would love to get my hands on one but regulations here make modifying a frame VERY difficult.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:19 PM   #16
RCS41PU

The poster with the specifications says coupe body and handbuilt 2x4 frame. I do not know the people who did it, but saw at a show and thought enough of it to take pics.
RCS41PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 11:05 AM   #17
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Was the frame extended or is there a longer one from some other model? I would love to get my hands on one but regulations here make modifying a frame VERY difficult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS41PU View Post
The poster with the specifications says coupe body and handbuilt 2x4 frame. I do not know the people who did it, but saw at a show and thought enough of it to take pics.

Since all Model-A passenger car and light commercial vehicles all used the same frame, not much you are going to find as O.E. frame that is longer. AA frames are longer but much different in beefiness.

Again, the Coupe definitely looks like someone did a nice job but the reason I mentioned using a Tudor (55B) body as the foundation for this type pick-up is the Tudor doors are a little over 29" wide whereas the Coupe door is about 1¾" narrower. Doesn't sound like much until 'one is trying to slide between the Pillar Lock and the Steering Wheel.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 12:48 PM   #18
Fhane

If you extend the cab you will off set the fenders on the pickup bed so they don’t line up with the rear tire. Fairly easy to solve by moving the part the attaches the fender to the pickup bed forward which will bring the fender forward.
Fhane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 01:19 PM   #19
Keith True

Lastrefuge hot rods makes knocked down beds you can assemble into whatever configuration you would like.You can't just reposition the fenders because of the rolled in beads on the bedsides.The shortened aftermarket beds have the front part of the bead rolled in at what would be the correct location for a modified bed.
Old 11-08-2022, 04:40 PM   #20
Tinbasher

A friend of mine made a extended cab Pickup. He used doors from Tudor or coupe and cut the length down to make the panel behind the door. His where 12" long. Then he shortened up the box to mkae up the difference. Wish I had a picture of it for you.
It was one of those things that your first look you thought, did they build this model?

JP
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote