Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2016, 11:57 AM   #1
55ford272

Default 1955 steering problems

Hey guys, I'm new here to the Ford barn and I own a 1955 Ford Fairlane sedan. It's a 272 y block and fordomatic. I've always had problems with the steering in 2 areas. The first problem is power steering only works th the right. I've read that this can be the steering gearbox, but I was also wondering if it could be the power steering control valve that these old Fords have? I don't want to put down a bunch of time and money rebuilding something that doesn't need it. Also, another possibility related problem is that the steering has a lot of play. It's so bad that whenever I hit a bump, the whole front end and steering wheel start violently shaking. It stops only when I move the wheel to one side until the play stops. I tried tightening up the box, but that didn't really help much. Could this also be the box? Or control valve?? I already did tie rod ends so I could rule those out. Any ideas where I should start?? Thanks everyone
55ford272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:08 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: 1955 steering problems

There was another post about loose '55 steering a week back.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196963

IIRC, the steering box itself is separate from the 'power' steering function.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #3
55ford272

Thanks for responding. I actually read that post, but I believe it sounds like he doesn't have power steering. Do you think the issue of power steering in only one direction is the control valve then? And that the looseness is from the box? Where do adjust the drag link, so I can also try that. Thanks for the help
Old 05-30-2016, 12:53 PM   #4
dmsfrr

I've got a ("was drivable when parked") '55 with power steering and haven't done much with the steering as it isn't the cars biggest problem.

Only in one direction?
It sounds like you have a control valve problem. The steering box itself isn't part of that function.

The '55 & early '56 steering boxes are weaker than the later versions and often benefit from being rebuilt, or replaced.

Adjust the drag link?
Hopefully someone else comments, I haven't looked at one enough to know.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:47 PM   #5
54vicky

check the ram as well.the spool valve may need to be adjusted.a manual will give you details.as to slop a rebuild of box is needed to remove the play if you google there are a couple of listings.parts are available from Macs as well as others.you will never remove the slop by turning the adjuster on box it is for fine tune not as a substitute for rebuild.also turning the adjuster out to lunch you may end up loosing all steering when tooling a long at speed.
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:08 PM   #6
55ford272

Thanks so much guys. I'll take off the old valve and send it in for a rebuild. I'll probably end up rebuilding the box as well. Do you guys know what oil the box takes? Thanks again
Old 05-30-2016, 07:01 PM   #7
Hot Rod Reverend

You may find some good tips and surely some photos here...

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145936

Not too sure about the guy who did all that work though, you may need to check his credentials!
Old 05-30-2016, 09:04 PM   #8
55ford272

Wow hot rod Reverend. I'm speechless, really amazing work. And tons of well needed info! Thanks!
Old 05-30-2016, 10:41 PM   #9
Hot Rod Reverend

Unfortunately the car does not have power steering so that is not identified in the blog, but at least you can see what a steering gear looks like and go through the normal parts of a front end.
enjoy

Last edited by Hot Rod Reverend; 05-31-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Hot Rod Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:25 AM   #10
Daves55Sedan

It sounds to me like the power steering drag link sleeve itself might be at fault here. I would remove the control valve and drag link as an assembly. Take the drag link off and disassemble it. Inspect all the guts for wear and burrs. Make sure the spring is not broken or missing entirely. Look at the grease fitting on top of the drag link housing and make sure that it does not interfere with movement of the sleeve when installed. You do know that the drag link does need to be greased with a grease gun, right?
Get a '55 or '56 Ford car shop manual and check the parts you have with the illustrations in the book to see if anything is missing in your assembly.
Now, usually wheel shimmy may indicate an improper front end alignment. First, check your front wheel bearings to see if there is too much slop there.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:54 PM   #11
STEERING STEVE

This sounds to me like you have a control valve issue. That would most likely be the cause of the one way steering and could also be causing the shake in the wheel. As far as the play you seem to have, if you get the front end off the ground and turn the input shaft of the gear and the output shaft takes a while to react you probably found the cause of the play. If you would like to diagnose this a little more feel free to give us a call at 1-800-334-5749 and you can ask for Dan or Steve. Good luck
STEERING STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote