Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #1
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default stolen model A up for auction

happy bidding

might plan on some engine work looks like it's got the old blowby sock

http://home.copart.com/c2/individual...email_sharelot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (95.8 KB, 194 views)

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 02-02-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: stolen model A up for auction

It dosen't look that bad at all except for some fender dents. I only hope that somebody gets it and appreciates it for what it is: a nice Model-A
to be driven and enjoyed as an original {restored} car.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
ronn

Default Re: stolen model A up for auction

thx for sharing Mitch.........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:51 AM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Do you think you can get that damaged fixed for $1400.

What does ACV mean?
Old 02-02-2014, 02:07 AM   #5
darrylkmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Do you think you can get that damaged fixed for $1400.

What does ACV mean?
Mike,

I think it is an insurance term for Actual Cash Value, I also doubt that this car could be repaired for $1,400.00. Kind of like cops assessing collision damage in a motor vehicle accident on the side of the road.

Still makes me wonder why it has to have a Salvage Title, when the car is intact, recovered following a theft. The car is not beyond repair, something seems fishy to me.

Darryl in Fairbanks

Last edited by darrylkmc; 02-02-2014 at 02:20 AM.
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:21 AM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylkmc View Post
Mike,

I think it is an insurance term for Actual Cash Value, I also doubt that this car could be repaired for $1,400.00. Kind of like cops assessing collision damage in a motor vehicle accident for a roadside accident.

Still makes me wonder why it has to have a Salvage Title, when the car is intact, recovered following a theft. The car is not beyond repair, something seems fishy to me.

Darryl in Fairbanks
I see that now

"ACV stands for the "Actual Cash Value" of the lot, which means the estimated retail value of the lot as submitted to Copart by the seller. If the lot has been damaged, this is the value prior to the occurrence of the damage. Retail automobile values may be obtained from Kelley Blue Book (kbb.com) and many other sources on the web. This number is presented for informational purposes only. Copart makes no representations as to the validity or accuracy of the listed value."

Do you think that is what was paid out on the claim? If so I might not want it back either had to tell the exact condition of the car but I think I could find a nice looking/running fordor for less that that.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:31 AM   #7
darrylkmc

Mike,

I believe that there was a previous thread where it was stated what the owner was paid following the claim, prior to recovery. Seems to me it was about this amount, the ACV, I would have to research it.

It seems to me that it would have been in the best interest of the insurance company to not issue a salvage title for this car, since the damage to the vehicle does not exceed the the value, even though a claim was paid.

The title issue, in itself, greatly reduces the value, even though the damage is minor. As I said, something does not make sense to me.

I can't say that I necessarily blame the owner for accepting the claim money and not wanting the car back, that's the insurance companies problem. But a salvage title, doesn't add up for me.

Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Anytime a vehicle is totaled by the insurance and the policy is paid out the car gets a salvage title. The ins comp could care less if its beneficial or not thats the procedures. Its then up to the next owner to deal with it. Here in pa the new title will say reconstructed once it is certified to be on the road which will follow it forever. One good thing in this case is the public documentation of what really happen so with that i feel the value of the car is not hurt. We know it was not at the bottom of a lake etc..

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 02-02-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #9
ronn

Hey Mike,
why fix it? Makes for a great story.....................
Old 02-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #10
Tim Armstrong

I worked in claims for an Insurance company for 25years. We stamped every title as salvage if we took possession. This is to protect the Insurance company from further lawsuits. You know that it was a salvage vehicle. That removes the possibility of future legal action.
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #11
jm29henry

can you tell me if the car runs and drive
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:37 AM   #12
Dave Mellor NJ

Up to $7200. The interior looks nice. Not bad for the money
Dave Mellor NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:23 AM   #13
QGolden

In some States the salvage title will not hurt its value a bit, NH does not require a Title on an antique vehicle. In fact the document would even expedite the registration process because it would verify the VIN, and that is our only requirement for plates.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #14
Keith True

That's right.In N.H. the salvage title on an old car means absolutely zero.If you DID get one,when you showed it to register they would look at it and hand it back to you.It is not recorded or used on a pre title car.Anything 15 years and older is out of title requirement.It wasn't too long ago that if you showed them an old title they would turn around and shred it when they were done taking the info off it.The law does read that all previous ownership documents be destroyed.They no longer seem to bother with that.I tried to warn a few transplants from away from here about that,some were proud of their titles from 1950 or something like that.They got a bit of a shock when the clerk turned around and shredded the old title.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #15
Kurt in NJ

Sometimes it is becoming a problem to get insurance (full coverage) on a car with a salvage title ---they already paid for it once, they don't want to take the chance on paying for something they already paid for ---before bidding on a salvage car talk to your ins company.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #16
karasmer

Does anybody know the scoop on this Copart site, looks like a good place to get a great deal??
karasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #17
spdway1

Quote:
Originally Posted by karasmer View Post
Does anybody know the scoop on this Copart site, looks like a good place to get a great deal??
They have all types of buyers fee's....4 or 5 different fee's.
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #18
ronn

After reading all of the bidding procedures, wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole!
sounds like going to jail..........................

you can win the bid and they can pull the vehicle right out from under you, if they wish..............................

and that's an auction?
Old 02-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #19
BlueSunoco

That's kinda what I was thinking too, ronn.

I believe I' d look elsewhere, plus as was said all those buyer's penalties? Ouch.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #20
Keith True

It just looks like any insurance pool/disposal facility set of rules to me.If anything,these look clearer and more streamlined than the ones I've dealt with.Any of the ones I've dealt with in the past have deposit requirements and rules.There always had to be money on the table in order to bid and buy.I've never seen any of these places where it was feasible to buy just one car,they are clearinghouses that pass them through to dispose of them.Rarely do the cars ever go to the end user.The right to pull the rug out from under a buyer at any time is a very important clause,there are dozens of things that can crop up to jinx the sale.Sometimes claims crop up after the fact,and it is much easier to cancel the sale than to get involved in a 3 way fight.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote