Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2017, 12:10 PM   #1
whifty

Default Bob's Auto Glass

I just bought a complete glass kit for my '37 from Bob's Auto Glass in Oregon. They told me that they cut and polish their own glass. Well when I opened the box all the glass was cut, polished & marked PMK Diamond which is made in Taiwan. As you can tell I'm pissed!!! Be careful where and who you buy from.
whifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:35 PM   #2
Barry-ct

Default Re: Bob's Auto Glass

a lot of people give alternate facts or lies these days. Seems you can't trust some of these businesses today. I guess there is always one linker in the jar. I have that luck also. I'd call and complain and demand to send it back. He misrepresented what he sells.

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:59 PM   #3
wga

Call them, his website says if you are not satisfied with your order, to please contact.
And PMK Diamond is not in China --- Thailand.

OFFICE (PMK1) : 41 MOO 2 Petchkasem Road Omnoi Krathumban Samutsakorn 74130
Tel : (66) 0-2813-7277-86, 0-2813-7300 (autometic 10 line)
Fax : (66) 0-2811-1680, 0-2431-2119, 0-2811-1680
E-mail : [email protected]
GPS : 13.704401,100.31852
Old 02-23-2017, 01:35 PM   #4
edhd58

maybe he buys from them stock glass then cuts and polishes?? Not seeing what your glass looks like i am just throwing out maybe a possibility?
edhd58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:22 PM   #5
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by whifty View Post
I just bought a complete glass kit for my '37 from Bob's Auto Glass in Oregon. They told me that they cut and polish their own glass. Well when I opened the box all the glass was cut, polished & marked PMK Diamond which is made in Taiwan. As you can tell I'm pissed!!! Be careful where and who you buy from.
Just guessing but most likely they did cut the glass to size and polish the edges. They simply had purchased the glass slabs from an overseas supplier.
When purchasing glass for our old cars, it is important to know what you want and ask questions prior to committing to the purchase.
Things like "tarred" edges, polished edges, NO manufacture codes, "bug" or no "bug"...
While I have no experience with Bob's, I am willing to bet that as always there is more than one side to the saga.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:26 PM   #6
whifty

They were drop shipped from a company in Isanti, Minnesota. Auto City Classic. Someone told me they are the importers. I did email Bob's this morning but haven't gotten a response. BTW, Thailand - Taiwan, same continent, same junk.
whifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:27 PM   #7
flatford8

Is it junk?..... Or is quality glass.... right size..... polished edges?..... It may work fine in your car..... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:52 PM   #8
Dec211975

Smile Re: Bob's Auto Glass

Auto City Classic sells at a couple of local swap meets in Wisconsin, Jefferson and Iola and also at Back to the 50's in Minneapolis. Every one that I know that has bought glass from them has been happy with the purchase. I hope it works out ok for you as well.

Regards,
Brian

Last edited by Dec211975; 02-23-2017 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Company name misspelled
Dec211975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:12 PM   #9
cas3

i have a local glass guy i use, but you have to have a pattern, or a piece for him to copy. is there any one who sells just patterns? need some for 34's
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #10
DavidG

It's interesting that a whole continent should be painted with the same brush. The last time that I looked at a map, Japan was part of Asia. There sure are a lot of loyal Toyota/Lexus owners in North America who might take exception to "one size fits all". (No, I do not own stock in or drive a product of Toyota or any other automobile company other than Ford.)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:27 PM   #11
40fordpu

I am just curious but what would be the "big" difference in glass. I imagine fit is the most important part no? Did the late 30's early 40's glass have something special?
40fordpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:30 PM   #12
40fordpu

Also looks like Bob Drake sells patterns for $5 -10 bucks
40fordpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:43 PM   #13
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
It's interesting that a whole continent should be painted with the same brush. The last time that I looked at a map, Japan was part of Asia. There sure are a lot of loyal Toyota/Lexus owners in North America who might take exception to "one size fits all". (No, I do not own stock in or drive a product of Toyota or any other automobile company other than Ford.)
Dave, I could not agree more. China, Japan, Taiwan, etc. can and do make the quality we demand of them.
The companies that buy from them all too often do not demand quality. Instead they demand "cheap".
Unfortunately most folks at the retail buying level either don't know the difference between quality and the lack thereof or simply don't care.
I am certain many (most?) of the folks that paint that broad brush you mention also shop at Walmart, etc. Subsequently they are part of the problem.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:12 PM   #14
DavidG

Mike,

Thanks.

You can add South Korea to that list. For those who also dabble in model trains, nearly all of the models sold by Sunset, MTH, etc. come from Asia and the quality is off the top of the charts. As Mike states, if the standards of the seller are high, those standards can be met in a number of those countries.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:40 PM   #15
Tony, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec211975 View Post
Auto City Classic sells at a couple of local swap meets in Wisconsin, Jefferson and Iola and also at Back to the 50's in Minneapolis. Every one that I know that has bought glass from them has been happy with the purchase. I hope it works out ok for you as well.

Regards,
Brian
I bought from ACC on Ebay and I'm happy with what I got.
http://stores.ebay.com/AUTO-CITY-CLA...p2047675.l2563
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:11 AM   #16
Newc

Hi all; Years ago a V8er in RG 9 Albany Or made the Ford bugs for glass. He then heard from Ford Motor Co and sold the bugs to Sanders glass in Vancouver, WA. They did my glass and had the correct Canadian bugs even. I'm happy with them. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:16 AM   #17
gravelguy

Thumbs up Re: Bob's Auto Glass

I just finished installing a complete glass set in my 1939 pickup. It came from Bobs in Oregon, I was very happy with the cut and finish. They were great to deal with and it was shipped from there shop in Oregon I would buy from them again.
gravelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:08 AM   #18
fortyfords

I look at Taiwan a little differently, yes, they are Chinese but they are also struggling to be an independent nation from China, trying to make a living like the rest of us, and independent of China. Does that sound familiar? I have a few pieces of machinery that are made in Taiwan, the tools are well built for me and to good USA standards so I'm very happy with the tools. A lot of these small countries are not a threat to us, the people are just trying to make a living and surviving in this world. In my book, there is a big difference between China made and Taiwan made. And all my cars are made in the USA.
fortyfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:54 AM   #19
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyfords View Post
I look at Taiwan a little differently, yes, they are Chinese but they are also struggling to be an independent nation from China, trying to make a living like the rest of us, and independent of China. Does that sound familiar? I have a few pieces of machinery that are made in Taiwan, the tools are well built for me and to good USA standards so I'm very happy with the tools. A lot of these small countries are not a threat to us, the people are just trying to make a living and surviving in this world. In my book, there is a big difference between China made and Taiwan made. And all my cars are made in the USA.
All of your cars are made in the USA? Are you speaking of your modern cars? If so, they may have been assembled in the USA but chances are VERY high that a large content of what was assembled was made outside of the USA.
I'd purchased a new 3500 Silverado last year that was assembled in Indiana. Engine was from Mexico. Much of the electronics are from China and surrounding countries. The list goes on and on. Lord only knows where the rest of it was made.
I'd purchased a piece of trim for a friend's Buick a few months ago. Yep, directly from the dealer. Part was made in China, box was made in Mexico, part was packaged in Canada. So what exactly was "made in the USA" on that? Interesting (discouraging) that three countries can place their hands upon one part and it is still cheaper than having a USA factory produce and package the part.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:03 PM   #20
rotorwrench

When Toyota built their pickup plant hear in SA some years back, I was surprised to find that they were buying stuff from a lot of the businesses here locally that sprang up to meet the demand. A lot of stuff still comes in from down south and other parts of the country and world but they try to get the best product they can for the money and the closer the better. They want quality at a good price like any other manufacturer does.

Japan started to copy a lot of our machines after the war but it wasn't long till the South Koreans were making copies for them and the rest of the world. Taiwan got into the same trade game and a lot of smaller mills and lathes that are now available are made there now. The Pacific rim countries will make anything you want at whatever quality you desire and do it for half of what was being made here in the US back when it still was. That's why there are so few USA built machines available now.

This may change after wages equalize but no telling how long that will take. Any country that wants to manufacture stuff has to stay in competition with all the others and either make it for less money or make it a better product to survive. It's always been that way and always will.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote