Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
stallerl

Default Model B Spark Plug Wire Question

I'm installing a Model B distributor in my '29 Model A. I found that the spark plug wires that were fitted to the Model A components are too short for the B dist. What wires should I use? The later Model A wires or are there Model B wires available? Thanks.
stallerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Model B Spark Plug Wire Question

I used the round cap & regular wires. Bill W.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

The Model B ones used to be available. I would start by trying Renner's Corner, (734) 428-8424. What are the later Model A wires, a modern style cap with modern style wires?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
The Model B ones used to be available. I would start by trying Renner's Corner, (734) 428-8424. What are the later Model A wires, a modern style cap with modern style wires?

Charlie Stephens
Yep, Charlie, they're the '32 to '34, 4 cyl cap. Suppliers have them, sometimes they call them the "HIGH SPEED"?? cap.
If used on a Model A dist, be sure to file the slot for the advance lever to match the width of the original Model A dist. body. (It's quick & easy!) Bill W.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
[email protected]

Several vendors have these Bronze ones for Model B. Here is from Mac's website.

Spark Plug Wire Connector Set - Bronze - 3-13/16" - 4 Pieces - 4 Cylinder Ford Model B

1932-1934B-122751
View MoreView Larger
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #6
stallerl

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks all for your responses. I would assume the modern cap and wires will perform better then the old type bronze ones but, the modern wires and cap just don't have the 'cool' factor the original type has.
model a, thanks for the info on Mac's. I have their catalog but don't order from them so I don't think about checking their catalog. Maybe I should start looking, just for reference.
Thanks again... Lou
Old 11-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
Purdy Swoft

Quote:

Charlie Stephens
Charley, If you've got the latest Snyders catalog, look at the top center of page A-148. Its an aftermarket modern style cap that fits the model A & B distributors. This type cap has been offered for probably over thirty years by some model A-B venders. This style cap has the window for the upper breaker plate arm. The main problem with this style cap is that the inner spark plug air gap at the ccontacts are sometimes off so much that the rotor tip will strike them as it turns. I've seen some of them jump as the rotor tip strikes the inner contact. It is impossible to measure and adjust the air gaps for fine tuning. I've got a few of those caps in my collection and have experience with them.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Several vendors have these Bronze ones for Model B. Here is from Mac's website.

Spark Plug Wire Connector Set - Bronze - 3-13/16" - 4 Pieces - 4 Cylinder Ford Model B

1932-1934B-122751
View MoreView Larger
Thanks, My Friend, for posting these! On a Model A with the original dist. body, these would arch up higher, thus helping the # 4 spark path in the body NOT to have a tendency to arc to # 3 connector strap. Because of the spark path routing in the body, # 4 is the ONLY one that has a tendency to arc out. If you study the body, on www.modelabasics.com ---You'll see why. There's a LOT of info on Paul's site! GREAT JOB, Paul! Bill W.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #9
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Yep, Charlie, they're the '32 to '34, 4 cyl cap. Suppliers have them, sometimes they call them the "HIGH SPEED"?? cap.
If used on a Model A dist, be sure to file the slot for the advance lever to match the width of the original Model A dist. body. (It's quick & easy!) Bill W.
Bill,
This site shows the correct '32-'34 cap, http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/bdistributordetails.htm It looks a lot like the Model A cap. Is this what you are talking about?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:56 AM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Bill,
This site shows the correct '32-'34 cap, http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/bdistributordetails.htm It looks a lot like the Model A cap. Is this what you are talking about?

Charlie Stephens
That's NOT the one I talked about. The one in this pic is ALMOST like an "A" cap & still uses the brass strips. The one I use was probably used on '33 & '34-4 Cyl?? On page 121 in Mac's catalog, it is part # A12105M $25.95, complete with wires & 4 itty bitty nuts for the plugs. Bill W.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #11
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: Model B Spark Plug Wire Question

Purdy Swoft,

Thanks for the info on the Snyder modern style dist. cap. I was getting
ready to order one of those set-ups, not now. I've got a Thomas aluminum HC head and was going to get the modern cap for it.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallerl View Post
Thanks all for your responses. I would assume the modern cap and wires will perform better then the old type bronze ones but, the modern wires and cap just don't have the 'cool' factor the original type has.
model a, thanks for the info on Mac's. I have their catalog but don't order from them so I don't think about checking their catalog. Maybe I should start looking, just for reference.
Thanks again... Lou
I'm wondering why that could be?
Unless the original top has a short it will fire the plugs just fine.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #13
stallerl

I just assumed the modern cap and wires would perform better because they were capable to carry more 'juice' to the plug. It just goes to show modern, upgraded, improved or new isn't always better. And that's fine with me as I like the 'old' stuff better. I bought a 2013 Ford Explorer a few months ago and still have not learned how to operate all the new gadgets and tech stuff in the car. It's hard enough just changing the radio stations let alone setting up the GPS, Bluetooth and automatic digital everything else!
Old 11-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
bettlesr

I also have an aluminum hi compression head and a "B" distributor. Not only is the distributor taller, the plugs sit lower in the head. I had a couple of sets of "A" wires, so i cut 4 of them near the cap end and 4 of them near the plug end. I then put the pieces on the car and formed them so the pieces overlapped each other. They were then clipped so they wouldn't move and I soldered the two halves to each other. Works great and if you don't get too much solder on them, you can hardly see the joint.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
stallerl

bettlesr,
I've got a stock A head so I won't have to fabricate wires like you had to do. I'm going to a Model A shop/store later today to see if they carry the 1932/33 connectors. If not I'll order them from one of the vendors.
I see a own a Lotus Elan. I had a S2 Coupe a few years ago that my wife told me to sell because of it's small size! So, I sold it and bought a project Ferrari 308 GTS, which I still have, although now completely restored. And, I have a '54 MG TF waiting for a restoration. Also, I'm originally from Northern NJ moving to SoCal in 1978. Man I miss the food!
Old 11-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #16
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Readily available at MACS for your B Dizzy
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #17
CarlG

Several years ago I bought a distributor body that "looks like" a standard A body, but would take modern style wires. That is what I'm using now. I haven't seen them in any of the new catalogs, don't know if they are still being made. Mine works fine!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #18
redmodelt

Tom took an old Model A distributor body and cut the sides and most of bottom out on both sides of the clips. He left the ring on top to hold the modern style cap. He also installed a new shaft and bushings. He can put the cap and rotor on and see inside to check the air gap.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #19
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Several years ago I bought a distributor body that "looks like" a standard A body, but would take modern style wires. That is what I'm using now. I haven't seen them in any of the new catalogs, don't know if they are still being made. Mine works fine!
I think that Charley Yapp still sells that style cap. It is more expensive than an original cap but looks pretty cool.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #20
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Carl, I saw that type in a catalog somewhere in the past, with the little doolies on top to plug on regular wires.
The round ones WON'T do any better or give a HOTTER spark than stock bodies, just different.
From what Purdy said, some in the past have been machined poorly & the rotor hits some of the contact posts. Remember, Purdy's been doin' this stuff, constantly, for a LOOONG time & has experienced a LOT more than MOST of us! I haven't had that problem with the 2 I've used. About the ONLY advantage is that you can use a timing light.
'32 to '34 dist had centrifugal advance & NO advance lever knotch in the cap, SO sumbody jist cut out a knotch, so they would work on a Model A. SO, have I got it right???? Bill W.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 11-13-2013 at 12:32 PM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote