Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #41
MrTube

Default Re: Vendor Disappointment

You know what, I don't own a small business and I understand why several people are defending them here.

HOWEVER. Assuming bogiediver called them as he says he did, and I have no reason to doubt him, they now know about the problem. Do you see the ad changed? I sure don't.

A mistake is understandable, but I do not see any correction being made.

eagle is correct, word-of-mouth is powerful, but if the ad had be corrected than we would all see it was simply an honest mistake.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #42
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss victoria View Post
Napa brake clys are china also.
Just bought a set from NAPA for my 1960 Thunderbird....made in the USA.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #43
Cool Hand Lurker

I think Brent is commenting out of experience. He operates a small business with a lot of different customers, some of whom are nice and some of whom are jerks. The jerks will always be there and will cause problems much bigger than the profit made from them. You just can't satisfy them. If one of them complains it has the effect of 100 voices complaining and it will take 1000 positive comments to overcome the damage. And satisfied customers don't usually make comments. They don't need to.

With that experience and the knowledge that most other small businesses also face the same problem, Brent steps up and says "wait a minute, check it out before you rant" and he is right to recommend caution until you know the facts.

After reading all of the subsequent posts, I think the vendor should take corrective action with this customer. He should also change the wording in his catalog but that is not easily done, especially quickly. Unfortunately his old catalogs may still be used. But Brent was right, wait until you have the facts. And calling him names doesn't help us or him or you.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #44
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
you might find the chinese made ones last longer than the usa cylinders....

lets face it most foreign made modern day vehicles have it all over the usa made
in workmanship and quality
Maybe 10 years ago, but certainly not now. Case in point;

I am a die hard Ford guy, but I hated the old Ford Focus. In my eye they were one of the biggest pieces of crap that Ford put out. I wouldn't have one as a gift, I hated the car. Everything about it from the lousy build quality to the noisy under powered engine.

A couple of weeks ago, we went to a local dealer and bought a new 2012 SEL 5-door hatchback Focus. They don't even compare to the older ones. After driving one on a test, we were hooked. The quality is outstanding, it starts quietly and shifts smoothly AND the 40 MPG is not a lie, we are getting that consistently and it is a new car. All kinds of neat stuff on the car that you would expect on say a Lexus or some other higher priced car. The salesman pointed out 'It is all German engineering. They have been building this car in the big Koln, (Cologne) Germany plant for several years and can't keep up with demand' . Car is built in Michigan in an old F-150 factory that Ford spent many millions re-vamping.

If you think I'm blowing hot air, I challenge anyone to go drive one they are a great little car for around $20-$22K
Old 06-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #45
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Maybe 10 years ago, but certainly not now. Case in point;

I am a die hard Ford guy, but I hated the old Ford Focus. In my eye they were one of the biggest pieces of crap that Ford put out. I wouldn't have one as a gift, I hated the car. Everything about it from the lousy build quality to the noisy under powered engine.

A couple of weeks ago, we went to a local dealer and bought a new 2012 SEL 5-door hatchback Focus. They don't even compare to the older ones. After driving one on a test, we were hooked. The quality is outstanding, it starts quietly and shifts smoothly AND the 40 MPG is not a lie, we are getting that consistently and it is a new car. All kinds of neat stuff on the car that you would expect on say a Lexus or some other higher priced car. The salesman pointed out 'It is all German engineering. They have been building this car in the big Koln, (Cologne) Germany plant for several years and can't keep up with demand' . Car is built in Michigan in an old F-150 factory that Ford spent many millions re-vamping.

If you think I'm blowing hot air, I challenge anyone to go drive one they are a great little car for around $20-$22K
exactly my point foreign engineering and quality
Old 06-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #46
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Thank you!!

2nd off, ....why are we even discussing THIS here? It definitely is Hot Rod related (as evidenced by the product and the title on the webpage) ...which I though was not supposed to be discussed here. I guess in re-thinking this, maybe we should all boycott this fellar and spread all kinds of propaganda on him. It seems lots of folks like to participate in a 'lynching' ...unless it is their own!

Brent, you have always been helpful to me and enjoy your posts and thankful for your input.

I don't think this is a lynching by any means. I think it clearly states "usa made". If I choose to buy a part advertised "made in the usa", I would expect to receive just that.

If I bought an album (ha ha album ) and on the front cover was the rolling stones, and opened it, and the actual album was the beatles, I think I would be a little miffed. I like the Beatles but I bought a rolling stones album. Whether it's better or not is not the issue.

I'm glad that we have parts available for our cars. Venders are very important. We also have the right to voice our opinions about it.

Last edited by Tinker; 06-20-2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: sp
Old 06-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #47
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
exactly my point foreign engineering and quality

That may be your point, but I wonder where most microprocessors are engineered. Being they are what, 10000X more complex than any car.

Not to mention Intel is also building a huge microprocessor manufacturing facility in AZ.

Hmmm.

Last edited by MrTube; 06-20-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #48
Kohnke Rebabbitting

There are a least 30 percent of you that missed the whole point of the Posters e-Mail. He didn't even comment on getting his money back, the Post had NOTHING to do with that, for the ones like the nose who can't read, and comprehend, and twist it around to give something a different meaning, conjecture wasn't in the e-Mail, just facts.

The facts, are, if I needed that part for a customers car, and I looked at the add, ordered the part, and would have told the customer it would be delivered in time so he had use of it for use on the week end, or when ever he wanted, and because of the add I missed getting it done, whick made my word no good, because the add was a lie, there is just no excuse for it, I would have been P&%%$#.

They, in this case wasted my time, and made a liar out of me, when I could have gotten it some where else.

That is it, NOTHING else can be brought into it!
Old 06-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #49
Afordman31

Just found this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg made in usa1.jpg (36.9 KB, 39 views)
Old 06-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #50
Roadster62

Can I HIJACK this thread and ask were I can buy wheel cylinders for the REAR of a 1939-48 Ford? Someone said that 46-48 are somehow better. Bob
Old 06-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #51
JoeWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Can I HIJACK this thread and ask were I can buy wheel cylinders for the REAR of a 1939-48 Ford? Someone said that 46-48 are somehow better. Bob
NAPA or rockauto.com. Rear wheel cylinders were the same, 1" x 1-1/8", from 1939 through 1948.

NAPA: UP8266 left, UP8267 right--$68 each.
Rockauto (Raybestos) WC8266 & WC8267--$47 each.

Prewar cars and light trucks used 1" x 1-1/4" cylinders in front; postwar used 1" x 1-3/8". The smaller cylinders usually work better in a light car such as an A, but new ones have not been available for a long time. Jeff at Moose's Obsolete Brake Parts might have a set. 707-792-9985. Otherwise you'll have to find an old set and have them sleeved.

Joe
Old 06-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #52
bogiediver

I don’t feel there is any ambiguity to the facts here… in fact, I didn’t even notice the text saying ‘Made in USA’, nor the banner saying ‘All Parts Proudly Made in the USA” – I saw the indication on the picture of the part itself; the text and banner only serve to make me want to retract my taking any responsibility for not asking – when it was (is) so prominently displayed.

I mentioned specifically during the phone call – twice - that I ordered these because of the ‘Made in USA’ indication and that had I known they were import, I could’ve gotten them for less elsewhere. I believe I had given him ample chance to at least attempt to respond in some manner besides – “not made in the US anymore, guess I should change that”.

Is the fact that the part is not USA made that ‘drastic’ – no, but it’s still wrong. Bait & Switch comes to mind.

Regarding my local NAPA – they couldn’t get them for me any faster, with the cost over twice as much. Since I thought I was getting an equivalent part (i.e. USA made) in less time, for less money – would anybody here have made a different decision?

I’m not returning the merchandise because of the time it would take to replace them – especially since I’d likely end up with the same thing anyway. I need to get the work done since my car is taking up a friend’s garage.

Apparently, someone needs to read the post before commenting – this is regarding parts for a Model ‘A’ that had brakes converted. If I were the vendor in this situation and a customer called and said – “website indicates made in USA, these aren’t stamped as indicated” I would have explained and asked if there was something I could do. That simple. Apparently the lost concept of ‘Customer Service’.

It would be difficult to “…[learn] how to make his original Model A mechanical brakes function correctly…” when this car came to me with hydro brakes – and besides, what does that have to do with the situation of incorrect advertising?

I certainly didn’t mean to start a firestorm… just expressed my disappointment with a vendor, mostly with their lack of any kind of customer service response when questioned. It’s not that hard to change a website – certainly could have been/should have been/should be changed. It’s even less hard to have simply said – ‘sorry’, which they did not.

Am I perfect – far from it… but, I do not try to mislead people & I will take responsibility if I inadvertently do.

Just want to enjoy my ‘A’
Old 06-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #53
BILL WILLIAMSON

Bogiediver,
You had a right to express your opinions! "THIS IS AMERICA, YAY!" bILL w.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #54
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
I think Brent is commenting out of experience. He operates a small business with a lot of different customers, some of whom are nice and some of whom are jerks. The jerks will always be there and will cause problems much bigger than the profit made from them. You just can't satisfy them. If one of them complains it has the effect of 100 voices complaining and it will take 1000 positive comments to overcome the damage. And satisfied customers don't usually make comments. They don't need to.

With that experience and the knowledge that most other small businesses also face the same problem, Brent steps up and says "wait a minute, check it out before you rant" and he is right to recommend caution until you know the facts.

After reading all of the subsequent posts, I think the vendor should take corrective action with this customer. He should also change the wording in his catalog but that is not easily done, especially quickly. Unfortunately his old catalogs may still be used. But Brent was right, wait until you have the facts. And calling him names doesn't help us or him or you.
Are you supporting Brent or small business owners that mislead?

There are a lot small business owners that don't mislead their customers and will tell you if the part is foreign made or of lessor quality,Brattons for one.
I would question the integrity of some one who defends the small business in question if he doesn't even know them.
I think Herm has it right .
Thats my opinion, Bill
Old 06-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #55
Franchise_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrocksr View Post
Are you supporting Brent or small business owners that mislead?

There are a lot small business owners that don't mislead their customers and will tell you if the part is foreign made or of lessor quality,Brattons for one.
I would question the integrity of some one who defends the small business in question if he doesn't even know them.
I think Herm has it right .
Thats my opinion, Bill

I agree with you Bill. I know there has been at least 2 instances of a small business owner here who frequents FordBarn who runs instantly to the aid of the other vendors/small business owners when they have done something wrong and they are called out on it. I wonder why that is........?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #56
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise_24 View Post
I agree with you Bill. I know there has been at least 2 instances of a small business owner here who frequents FordBarn who runs instantly to the aid of the other vendors/small business owners when they have done something wrong and they are called out on it. I wonder why that is........?
Jeez, does it REALLY matter? Heck, I try to run to the aide of lots of folks. If you don't have the same opinion as me, ...that is fine! Bash me all you like. I doubt your comment(s) are going to change the way I feel, --nor are they going to change much in this situation.

Think about it, almost every vendor in our hobby has been bashed here at least once in the last 15 years(+/-) that I have been participating on Fordbarn. If everyone reading actually stopped buying from these vendors after they read a thread like this, these vendors would likely be out of business now because of the negative feedback. I challenge someone to name a Model-A vendor who has gone out of business due to this type of feedback!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Old 06-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #57
Double D Mods

Its always fun to see people go on a forum and bitch about a vendor but never say anything when they have a great experience.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #58
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I asked them about the listing here is the owners answer,

I wasn’t lying about them. I have always provided USA wheel cylinders and when I got my new ones in I have found out they have discontinued the made in USA. I have also called several other vendors for them and found out they are not making made in USA wheel cylinders anymore. I am in the process of updating my webpage now. I am not out to make extra money or deceive anyone. I am always fair in all my transactions. Sorry I have not updated in a timely manner I just found out about this issue.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #59
MrTube

Only thing I wish to add is as far as other vendors I have no problem buying from or recommending Snyder's and Bratton's. They both have accurate descriptions and will damn near bend over backwards to keep customers happy.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #60
Steve Wastler

I can't say as to Snyders or others, but to me Brattons is top notch! Im not saying that just because they are a 15 minute drive for me.....
Closed Thread