Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
bogiediver

Thumbs down Vendor Disappointment

FWIW - wanted to share a disappointment with Thompson's Garage (.com).

I was looking for wheel cylinders for 39-48 hydro brakes since I had one fail on my 'A' roadster.

I looked around and on their website the pictures of the cylinders clearly indicated 'USA' (see attached).

So even though they were several dollars more each than the 'usual' vendors I ordered them.

Package arrived today - not stamped 'USA'; a call confirmed they are imported and no offer of a 'customer satisfaction' credit for having been misled. Not that I would have taken it (after all, I will take some responsibility in that I didn't ask at the time I ordered; but, isn't a picture supposed to be worth a thousand words); but something should have been offered.

I won't do business with them again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-06-19_112905.jpg (33.8 KB, 174 views)
Old 06-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Vendor Disappointment

Probably just used a stock photograph but should have mentioned the country of manufacture.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
dayid

If they're unwilling to satisfy you when they lied, they should be finding a credit card chargeback shortly.

Unacceptable practice and response.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
700rpm

Isn't "Usa" a village in northern China?

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayid View Post
If they're unwilling to satisfy you when they lied, they should be finding a credit card chargeback shortly.

Unacceptable practice and response.

Oh please don't let this get out of hand or ugly. Is it really worth it? Until you have owned a small business you just don't know what you must go through.

Is it possible that Thompsons did not think about offering a credit at the time you were on the phone or if you had suggested it they would have?

Is it possible this was an oversight on their part where there was not intent of deception or them trying to mislead anyone? Maybe when they put together the webpage, this was a picture of the same unit as what they were selling yet their vendor changed suppliers and they did not realize it?

Folks, please realize that there are always two sides to every story and there was only one perfect person that ever roamed this Earth. The rest of us are guilty of making mistakes from time to time and I feel people trying to provide a service to us do not deserve to be blind-sided by negative feedback in a public forum where they may or may not be able to offer their perspective. I realize Ryan has no problem with folks giving negative feedback here but does it really help? In the case of the Thompsons, it appears they are only re-selling and not manufacturing the item. If you are unhappy with a purchase, ask to return it. My suggestion is to put yourself in their shoes while communicatating with folks and try to amicably work it out being fair to everyone involved.

BTW, I have no clue who the Thompsons are nor have I ever heard about them so I am completely neutral and unbiased in my thoughts.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Old 06-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Ron in Quincy

If you have a need to have wheel or master cylinders rebuilt and want excellent results contact Joe Way, one of the Ford Barners who posts on this site. The units are sleeved with Brass and brought back to standard size, this way a standard new brake cylinder kit will properly fit. Joe's e-mail address is [email protected] and his cell number is 530-864-5286.

Ron
Old 06-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Oh please don't let this get out of hand or ugly. Is it really worth it? Until you have owned a small business you just don't know what you must go through.

Is it possible that Thompsons did not think about offering a credit at the time you were on the phone or if you had suggested it they would have?

Is it possible this was an oversight on their part where there was not intent of deception or them trying to mislead anyone? Maybe when they put together the webpage, this was a picture of the same unit as what they were selling yet their vendor changed suppliers and they did not realize it?

Folks, please realize that there are always two sides to every story and there was only one perfect person that ever roamed this Earth. The rest of us are guilty of making mistakes from time to time and I feel people trying to provide a service to us do not deserve to be blind-sided by negative feedback in a public forum where they may or may not be able to offer their perspective. I realize Ryan has no problem with folks giving negative feedback here but does it really help? In the case of the Thompsons, it appears they are only re-selling and not manufacturing the item. If you are unhappy with a purchase, ask to return it. My suggestion is to put yourself in their shoes while communicatating with folks and try to amicably work it out being fair to everyone involved.

BTW, I have no clue who the Thompsons are nor have I ever heard about them so I am completely neutral and unbiased in my thoughts.

The pic. is clear...USA....

Oh please don't let this get out of hand, Is it possible, Is it possible ? ..WOW! .

Bogie,.. Call your credit card co. They will handle it for you.
I would also send the pic. of the item with USA on it, and the part's back to Thompson,s and tell them they need to up-date ther adv. That is miss adv. Out-Right... JMHO.

Last edited by Louis; 06-19-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
Jeff/Illinois

[QUOTE=BRENT in 10-uh-C;445907] Until you have owned a small business you just don't know what you must go through.

And in today's business environment, where every Larry Parker (you guys in SoCal will know who I mean) out there wants to sue the bejeebers out of everybody, and people don't want to pay for anything they want it for nothing, and nobody wants to be responsible for themselves it's always somebody else's fault...well you have to ask yourself 'just who in their right mind would open a business or try to mfg. ANYthing in this country today???' I don't like seeing things built overseas but at the same time I can sure understand WHY it has become this way.

On a similar note, Henry Ford commenting on Wall Street (which he despised) and the great 1929 Crash and so many people losing so much....... "They wanted something for nothing. They didn't want to work."
Old 06-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
theHIGHLANDER

Hey Brent, right-freakin-on brother.

#1 It's a wheel cylinder, cast iron with some holes and machining done.

#2 Since the part has such a simple function, is "Made in the USA" really THAT
drastic? Will buying it cost you your job? Will it make your car worth 1/2 it's current value?

#3 Does the supplier deserve to make a profit...so he can stay in buisness...and provide the goods and services his base needs?

#4 If you were Thomson, would you scheme to defraud all of us worthless old car people in advance of selling product?

There's nothing sinister going on there. Wheel cylinders have been imported LOOONNGG before it was unpopular to do so. If it fits, looks new, does what you want it to, I can't see how you're hurt. Look around your house. Unless you're one of those who only have things over 30-40yrs old it's full of imported product purchased by choice. Just sayin...
Old 06-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHIGHLANDER View Post
Hey Brent, right-freakin-on brother.

#1 It's a wheel cylinder, cast iron with some holes and machining done.

#2 Since the part has such a simple function, is "Made in the USA" really THAT
drastic? Will buying it cost you your job? Will it make your car worth 1/2 it's current value?

#3 Does the supplier deserve to make a profit...so he can stay in buisness...and provide the goods and services his base needs?

#4 If you were Thomson, would you scheme to defraud all of us worthless old car people in advance of selling product?

There's nothing sinister going on there. Wheel cylinders have been imported LOOONNGG before it was unpopular to do so. If it fits, looks new, does what you want it to, I can't see how you're hurt. Look around your house. Unless you're one of those who only have things over 30-40yrs old it's full of imported product purchased by choice. Just sayin...

I don't know, maybe I'm an idiot but I went well out of my way to buy USA made WARD brand pipe fittings when I ran steam piping in my house as well as natural gas piping. These fittings are simple hunks of iron with some machining, but you would be amazed how much nicer they thread onto a pipe than the Chinese garbage home depot sells.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #11
ctlikon0712

C’mon guy's, the guy makes a conscious effort to support American manufactured products, saw the pic and didn't get what he wanted. Whether or not it was deliberate or not he should get his money back and, not be beat up here. He took partial responsibility when he said he should have asked first. I understand the small business side, my wife has had one for 17 years, but the pic did show USA. The offending company had a chance to make it right. He says he wouldn't take the money so he is just letting people know his experience. That is the way I read it.
Fordially, Craig
Old 06-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
Bob C

I went to their web site and it says right in the description "USA Made".
https://www.thompsonsgarage.com/home...1939-1948.html

Bob
Old 06-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
denis4x4

How come you didn't support your local NAPA as they're a stock item or can be ordered for next day delivery?
Old 06-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #14
miss victoria

Napa brake clys are china also.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #15
Scott H

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
How come you didn't support your local NAPA as they're a stock item or can be ordered for next day delivery?
Because sometimes the NAPA stuff is imported also...
Old 06-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #16
FL&WVMIKE

Let's not chastise "bogiediver" for going out of his way to buy USA made products.
I owned and operated my own small business and you ARE responsible for what you advertise !
"bogiediver" was very disappointed, I'm sure.
MIKE
Old 06-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #17
Richard/Ca

OMG ! Lets take the vendor out and give him 40 lash's. The President, Congress, Banks, car dealers and many many others lie to you every day. Most politician would rather clime a tree to tell you a lie then stand on ground and tell you the truth. And you are upset because one vendor may have made a mistake. The one in the ad stated Made in USA does this mean that every one that he sells has to be made in USA or does the vendor have to specify where each and every product that he sells was made.If that is so boy are a lot of stores and vendors in trouble. Richard/Ca

Last edited by Richard/Ca; 06-19-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Add to it.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #18
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Why don't you just return the merchandise ??
Old 06-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #19
MrTube

-10 points for "OMG" usage.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #20
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
Why don't you just return the merchandise ??
Thank you!!

2nd off, ....why are we even discussing THIS here? It definitely is Hot Rod related (as evidenced by the product and the title on the webpage) ...which I though was not supposed to be discussed here. I guess in re-thinking this, maybe we should all boycott this fellar and spread all kinds of propaganda on him. It seems lots of folks like to participate in a 'lynching' ...unless it is their own!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Closed Thread