Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-29-2014, 05:43 PM   #21
Tiny

Default Re: Towing Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
Tiny (post # 17) "Why not make your car dependable enough to drive?"

Sounds nice Tiny. However, I have noticed at the INDY 500 races (and others), that although they have a $150,000 dollar car, and a expertly honed crew of six to-notch 'pit' mechanics - that (somehow) the car is NOT always dependable enough to drive the full measure of the course.

Apparently it has to do with 'the nature of the beast'; 'Murphy's Law', serendipity, 'bad luck', etc., etc.

There is no such thing as a car that is completely dependable. NASA's space program tells us that.

- Doug Vieyra, former astonaught, brain sturgeon, vaudevillian
Doug race cars are a totally different breed, vehicles bored and stroked pushed the the limits of sanity and mechanical dependability. A stock A on the other hand should be a vehicle that can be depended on to make a short 25 mile trip. I've read where you have driven your phaeton all over the place back in the last century. Was that not before big parts houses and endless supplies of new parts available to us now? I doubt you had towing coverage or a trailer or dolly as a back up. I'm going to guess you carried some spare parts and a toolbox. My car has broke down a few times since I brought it home. Always with in a few miles of the house too, so yes it happens. The first time the wire between the key switch and distributor shorted out. I did not have the parts to fix it and came home on a rope with the help of a friend. I now have a wire with an alligator clip on the end to solve this issue should it arise again. The last time I was stranded I was able to take the carb apart and repair the issue. This has been a pretty long winded way of getting to my point but stick with me I'm almost there.
If you are proactive with maintenance and replace the warn out parts on your car and keep it in a good state of tune a 25 mile trip should be filled with pleasure not worry. I've always driven my old cars. I don't mean any of this to be negative toward anyone, including you or the OP more encouraging. A car you worry about all the time is no fun
Old 09-29-2014, 05:47 PM   #22
J Franklin

In neutral the cluster doesn't tun while being towed. It turns with the main drive gear.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #23
Big hammer

I vote for call a tow company. In one hour I bet you would have many
people wanting to help for free. 100$ or 200$ or 1500$ dolly 5000$
for trailer. Use your expendable money and put in you A. Make it more
dependable . Your A will love you for it!!!
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:04 PM   #24
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
2. cluster gear sits in tranny oil deep in the case and spins constantly whether towed or driven, so plenty of lube inside the case at all times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
In neutral the cluster doesn't tun while being towed. It turns with the main drive gear.
OK, so which is it?
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #25
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
OK, so which is it?
it spins but just not with a driven force because the trans is disengaged in neutral..

its called gear roll over

tbirdtbird is correct
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:09 PM   #26
Mitch//pa
BANNED

to answer the original question i wouldnt see a problem dollying it 25 miles...
and i wouldnt blame you if you didnt want the AAA monkeys to touch your car
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #27
Tom Wesenberg

I agree with Tiny.
I wouldn't even leave the yard unless I knew my car was ready for a trip. Things can and do happen, but a spare fan belt, coil and condenser should take care of most troubles. Maybe throw in a couple clip leads about 6' long. I guess with today's inner tubes, you might want a spare one or two of them also.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:14 PM   #28
J Franklin

I don't think the cluster gear would spin in cold 600 gear lube until the main transmission drive shaft bearing started to seize between the main drive gear and the main shaft. be careful and don't ruin your transmission. I have 5 apart (rebuilding) at this moment and believe I am telling you the truth.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:18 PM   #29
Tom Wesenberg

The cluster gear is geared to the INPUT shaft, so it only turns when the engine turns. I guess you could block the clutch pedal down and shift to third gear, then it would splash oil around. Or you could run the engine every so often to splash the oil. 25 miles on a towbar sould be fine though. The tranny beaing between the input and output shaft should do fine for that distance.

Again, I would just drive the car and if you break down, call for a tow or fix it with some spare parts you carry.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:23 PM   #30
J Franklin

I vote to drive it too. You most likely bought it to drive, and they want to go, so spend your time and money on making a nice reliable ride.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #31
Art Bjornestad

An early VW Bug tow bar hooks around the front axle and works great for at least 300 miles.....at least mine did.
Art Bjornestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:29 PM   #32
31Abone

Why not put the rear of car on dolly and tie steer wheel ?
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:39 PM   #33
Tom Wesenberg

Here's an inside look at the tranny. Actually it looks like the second gear might be large enough to reach the oil, and since it spins when the car moves, it could sling some oil around. To be sure it reaches the oil, you could put a short pipe extension in the fill hole and add one more inch of gear oil, then screw a cap on it.

I towed 3 Studebakers each 1500 miles from El Paso to Minneapolis in 1970 and never gave a thought to tranny lubrication. They drove fine after the tows.

As mentioned, driving it is the best way to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tranny Open Top.jpg (71.1 KB, 56 views)
Old 09-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #34
denis4x4

Fitting a tow bar to a Model A is a piece of cake. Contrary to some posts here, you do not need to remove the drag link or tie down the steering wheel. I've towed a CJ-8 from San Diego to Telluride a couple of times a year with a tow bar without any drama. In the late '30's, guys would pull Model A's over the Grapevine to the dry lakes with Tow bars made out of old wishbones. I've had two ocassions that I had to call my wife to bring the truck and the tow bar due to issues.

Don't over think this!
Old 09-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #35
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
Along about 1970, While pulling up the Priest Grade (the old Stage Coach road & the steepest grade in California) up the old one-lane road crossing the Sierra Nevada Mountains from California to Nevada,
What highway is this on?
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:52 PM   #36
Tiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 coupe View Post
If my timing gear lost its teeth 5 miles from home on a busy road on a 100 degree day, and I had 5 spare gears in the trunk, I would NOT stand on the side of the road dodging traffic for several hours and hope nobody runs me over while texting. I would be pulling it home and put it in the shade to work on it.
Regular inspection and preventative maintenance can help you to avoid problems like this.
That being said I would not do that repair along side the road either. I would call the hook to come get me
Old 09-29-2014, 11:53 PM   #37
DougVieyra

Tiny - post # 23 "Doug race cars are a totally different breed"

Yes, Tiny, that is true. As are Space Shuttles. And the Titanic, and the Luisitania. However, the premise is the same. Now matter how much we prepare, there is a possibility that things can go wrong.

I have never forgotten the Boy Scout Motto, "BE PREPARED". It has served a great many people very well for over a century. And Ernest Shakleton is my hero and my inspiration.

And I too am a GREAT believer of AAA - the American Automobile Club of America, and the peace of mind that comes with their tow service. While 'chewing gum and bailing wire, and spit and electrical tape' are often time sufficient to solve a problem, I am a great fan and believer in calling a AAA tow truck to rescue me if needed. That is a great insurance 'safety net' that gives me strong peace of mind.

Another GREAT tool that often helps us (especially in far distant places - far from home) is the current edition of the MAFCA Membership rooster. I'm sure MARC must have one too. When your own 'self-sufficient' , 'Be Prepared' falls short - a fellow member can give both mechanical and psychological help.

And, YES, Tiny - when I travel my Ford Model A is a mini parts house, including Les Andrews main two Mechanics Handbooks, Dykes Manual, and some detailed Tech. articles. And NOW I feel hauty, since last year I finally broke down and bought a CELL PHONE ! It is the 'phone' type of phone. Does nothing else. I hope to be able to learn how to use it one of these days.

- Doug Vieyra,
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:16 AM   #38
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
to answer the original question i wouldnt see a problem dollying it 25 miles...
and i wouldnt blame you if you didnt want the AAA monkeys to touch your car
WATCH IT! I don't know about YOUR world, but our AAA DUDES here, are highly trained & paid well! Been with them since 1958.
200 Mile Dad!
Old 09-30-2014, 12:24 AM   #39
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I would not tow my A at a speed I would not drive it.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:07 PM   #40
BILL WILLIAMSON

Chief & I towed my first Model A 60 uneventful miles, with the front bumper lashed tightly to the rear bumper of his '38 Pontiac, with heavy hemp rope! I "drove" the Model A, just in case of a shimmy or something. Part of the trip was through winding hill country.
Bill W.