Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2016, 10:07 AM   #1
rnch

Default DO FE engines usually have a lot of blow by?

My low mileage (58K) '65 352 Galaxie appears to pump out a LOT of "blow by" fumes out of the oil filler cap and into the air cleaner.

Any way to slow this down?

Thicker (20/50?) motor oil?

Any additive that would help?

Thanks for your comments and advice.
rnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
reman

Default Re: DO FE engines usually have a lot of blow by?

No, excessive blowby is not normal. You need to find the cause. I would probably start with intake gaskets if you think the motor is in good shape otherwise.
reman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:27 AM   #3
JeffB2

Is it low mileage because it sat for a while ? If so you may have some sticking rings might try a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil and a good long drive.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:14 PM   #4
dmsfrr

Stuck rings would be my first guess too. Some folks swear by using Sea Foam additive in the oil.
Try it for a while or do a before / after compression test.
Dried out valve guide seals shouldn't cause blow-by, but are also possible in a '65 engine.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:40 PM   #5
rnch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB2 View Post
Is it low mileage because it sat for a while ? If so you may have some sticking rings might try a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil and a good long drive.

Yes, perhaps so.

This appears to be an all original, unmolested "barn find" car; but I don't know all of it's past history. The man I bought it from purchased it with the intention of making it into a NASCAR "tribute" stock car; but was so impressed with it's condition he didn't have the heart to tear it all up. Judging by the tightness of the gear shift lever, driver's seat firmness, lack of brake pedal edge wear, condition of all the rubber door gaskets, I do believe it is a 58K...not 158K... car that was kept indoors. So I am guessing that it has "sat up" quite a bit over time.

I added a quart of Risoline to the last oil change, can't see any blow by improvement.

This is a whisper quiet engine, no valve train noise, no oil leakage, doesn't appear to be burning much/if any oil, with a new fan clutch and clean cooling system it never over-heats, just this excessive blow-by issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65FordRear.jpg (66.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg FordSeat.jpg (12.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 65AC.jpg (27.4 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by rnch; 05-21-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:49 PM   #6
Alaska Jim

make sue that the pcv valve is not stuck or plugged up, also ck that the crank case air intake ( usually the oil filler cap ) is not plugged up. if any of these are not working it will give the symptoms you describe. just because it is low mileage does not mean they are working. many years of "sitting" can cause things to stick including the pcv valve, not just the rings. like what was already mentioned, it could be rings. drive it a while and see if it improves. have you done a compression check? it may, or may not help determine what the problem is.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:13 PM   #7
sidevalve8ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post
make sue that the pcv valve is not stuck or plugged up, also ck that the crank case air intake ( usually the oil filler cap ) is not plugged up. if any of these are not working it will give the symptoms you describe. just because it is low mileage does not mean they are working. many years of "sitting" can cause things to stick including the pcv valve, not just the rings. like what was already mentioned, it could be rings. drive it a while and see if it improves. have you done a compression check? it may, or may not help determine what the problem is.
^^^^^^^
What he said. I had a great friend a few years back who had the same problem. He changed the pcv valve and it cured it. I hope it cures your problem.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #8
rnch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidevalve8ba View Post
^^^^^^^
What he said. I had a great friend a few years back who had the same problem. He changed the pcv valve and it cured it. I hope it cures your problem.

Thanks for ya'll's replies!

Although the pcv valve already in the valve cover looks new-ish and rattles when I shake it; I note that evilbay lists at least 3 different pcv valves for a '65 Galaxie.

Wot da hale.....for $2.92 including shipping I'll take a chance on the correct one. Perhaps the one in the car now is the wrong one. "Ya je' nevvvahhhh kno"!
Old 05-22-2016, 09:56 AM   #9
rnch

Or......I could yank out the existing PCV valve and make up a downdraft, old fashioned road vent tube from a discarded washing machine drain hose to go in place of the pcv valve & grommet ?
Old 05-22-2016, 10:46 AM   #10
packrat5
BANNED

You may find there may be several things wrong, depending on the maintenance the engine had over the years. As for the PCV, I can't remember if 65 had a screen filter under the valve or not, it's been too many years. Pull the rocker cover(s) and check the sludge situation. If the inside is full of gook, that will be a sign that no matter what else you do, a rebuild may be necessary. However, you can still try. Clean out the covers, pull the pan and clean it out, including the pickup screen, maybe pull the rocker arm assys. and disassemble them, and clean it all up, and replace the valve seals. When you have air pressure on the cylinders doing this, listen to how much air is escaping past the rings. And lastly, as a last resort, pull the intake, (PITA) and clean that all up. Don't get carried away here, just use an old vacuum cleaner to vacuum the sludge out. Don't use any cleaners, or scrape anything off, the chunks will get elsewhere in the engine, and any cleaner solution will do the same, plus it will wash the cam and lifters clean. (not good) Anyway, do the little easy things first, and see what happens. You may not want to get too involved. There are several ways to clean up the oil. It all mainly consists of something of a very high detergent additive, and LOTS of changing, including filter. It can be not worth the cost. After all this, a rebuild may still be the only solution. It's your car and money.
Oops, never mind the screen under the valve thing, I see you have the valve in the cover.
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:12 PM   #11
WestCoast

no they don't do that on a good engine ,worn rings, valve guides worn , as said too much sludge in valve covers not letting the oil drain back to the pan letting to much oil getting to the intake valve guide, ive used Cadillac umbrella valve guide seals to stop that problem, and to stop a lot of smoke when first starting the engine
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:10 PM   #12
rnch

I need to change a leaky valve cover gasket anyway; I'll see then how much sludge is evident on the top end. I'll post some pictures when I do so.

This engine doesn't smoke at all when starting up or "getting down on it"; not burning or leaking any oil. All this blow by is quite unexpected!
Old 05-23-2016, 07:41 AM   #13
bobss396

Once the valve covers are off you'll have a better idea. If the oil run down holes at the back of the head are restricted, oil puddles on the valve train and your overall crankcase venting is limited.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:10 AM   #14
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by reman View Post
No, excessive blowby is not normal. You need to find the cause. I would probably start with intake gaskets if you think the motor is in good shape otherwise.
A vacuum leak will suck oil in , not blow it out!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:30 AM   #15
ponymare

If the pvc valve is open and rattles, perhaps the hose going to it is plugged.
ponymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:32 AM   #16
Ford blue blood

Look inside the valve cover, there is a small "box" with steel wood inside of it. Most likely filled with hardened oil stuff. Clean with carb cleaner and that should help.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:30 AM   #17
rnch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford blue blood View Post
Look inside the valve cover, there is a small "box" with steel wood inside of it. Most likely filled with hardened oil stuff. Clean with carb cleaner and that should help.

Thanks for the advice, FBB!

I need to change a leaky valve cover gasket on that side soon; so I WILL follow your lead on this.

I had one knowledgeable old timer watch my engine run and dryly comment "I've seen worse 50 years ago".
Old 05-27-2016, 10:32 AM   #18
LOWRIDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnch View Post
Thanks for the advice, FBB!

I need to change a leaky valve cover gasket on that side soon; so I WILL follow your lead on this.

I had one knowledgeable old timer watch my engine run and dryly comment "I've seen worse 50 years ago".
Those old cars with a road draft tube would smoke like chimneys at a stop light. Get two or three at the same light and it would fog up the area. We've forgotten (or never knew) just how it was in "the good old days".
Old 06-03-2016, 08:06 AM   #19
rnch

Quote:

Here's a picture of the underside of the pcv valve baffle plate. It's empty/hollow inside. Should I shove some steel wool inside? Is the lack of the steel wool packing why I am seeing excessive (to my eyes, anyway) blow by?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65FordBaffle.jpg (28.3 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by rnch; 06-03-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:04 PM   #20
Ford blue blood

Don't know, the 65 Bird cover had the stuff in it. I put them in my buddies (machine shop) dunk tank then baked them and most of it blew out. Pulled the rest out and stuffed a stainless scub pad into the hole. Working good to this point.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:30 AM   #21
rnch

Quote:
Don't know, the 65 Bird cover had the stuff in it. I put them in my buddies (machine shop) dunk tank then baked them and most of it blew out. Pulled the rest out and stuffed a stainless scub pad into the hole. Working good to this point.

As clean and shinny as mine are on the inside, I suspect the Previous Owner did the same thing.

Mot complaining, just commenting.

I believe that I will "Follow your lead" and do the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65FordBaffle.jpg (28.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-10-2016, 10:12 AM   #22
modelaer50

My guess would be stuck rings, PCV, or possibly a broken diaphragm in the A/T vacuum modulator that will suck transmission fluid into the engine through the vacuum line.
modelaer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #23
rnch

UPDATE: I've put about 300 miles (and another rebuilt carb) on this car since making the initial post. I opened the hood yesterday, with the engine hot & idling, and noticed that the blow by vapors coming from the oil filler cap have diminished quite a bit!

Perhaps it was just sticky rings, from sitting up so much. Perhaps the Risoline I added to the last oi & filter change helped also.

Anyway, it's acceptable (to me) now.

Thanks to all of ya'll who offered up opinions & advice.

Last edited by rnch; 06-17-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:32 PM   #24
wbedwards

My car, 59' 361 FE sat for years before I got it. It had heavy blow by when I first got it. It doesn't have PCV but it got noticeably better after a few hundred miles. In fact, working on the second year of ownership, it gets better running every time I drive it. I am changing the oil frequently because it is really cleaning bad things out of the engine and depositing them in the filter.
wbedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:24 AM   #25
bobss396

I had one '64 Ford that smoked quite a bit, cleaned under the valve covers, new oil cap. This was my DD around 1974 to 1975, figured the rings were shot. Used straight 50 weight oil (summer only) and a can of Alemite CD2 every oil change. Really cut down on the smoke and consumption.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote