Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-04-2023, 06:32 AM   #1
Ed in Maine

Default Using The Rear Spring Spreader

I have installed the rear spring spreader. It is nicely centered and the adjusting nuts are turned in finger tight to hold the tool. How many turns should I place on the adjusting nuts to remove the spring tension on the spring shackles for easy removal? Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 07:13 AM   #2
old31

Default Re: Using The Rear Spring Spreader

Ed Its not the number of turns versus keep turning until you see that the spring has moved enough to do what needs to be done, meaning removing the shackles.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 11:13 AM   #3
bobbader

The short answer is ................ you almost can't go too far with the spreader. After initial engagement enough to hold the spreader firmly inside the spring eyes, even a few turns will ease the tension. This does not mean you have made it "safe enough to undo the shackles. So, keep going until you can push, front to back, on the top of the spring and "wiggle" the whole assembly a bit at the shackles. At this point, you've pretty much relieved enough tension to start removing the shackles. REMEMBER, there is still some danger involved, as the combination of the spring spreader and the spring itself is quite a bit of weight ........... and it's ALL IRON. Fingers can easily get in the way. Undo only one side first until the shackle is completely out. After this, you can more easily remove the second shackle while balancing the weight and girth of the spring & spreader combination that now wants to act as a fulcrum in multiple directions.

Once both shackles are out, if you intend to dismantle the spring prior to restoring/replacing shackles, carefully back off on the spring spreader adjuster until it safely relieves itself. In this contracted position, the spring will have to be re-spread at least 6 inches to re-install the shackles. The spring spreader is a life saver. This doesn't mean you should proceed with speed in any part of this operation.

MOST IMPORTANTLY ............Doing this for the first time, it will be extremely helpful to have a strong helper to "spot you" ............ if for nothing other than "safety in numbers". Along the way, feel out when 4 hands are Too Many but know that the safety another person standing there ........ "just in case"............ is a worthwhile addition.
bobbader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 11:20 AM   #4
bruceincam

The objective of the spring spreader is to transfer the tension from the shackle bolt in the spring eye to the spring spreader itself. After you've done that, you can begin to tap out that spring eye bolt. It doesn't take very many "turns" of that nut on your spring spreader to accomplish that task. I don't know exactly how many turns it takes to do that but try a couple of full turns on each nut and then pick a shackle and see how easily it wants to be tapped out. If you can't move either shackle bolt, try another turn or two of the nut. Once you've removed one of the shackles, you can be sure that you have all of the spring tension on your spring spreader.

From my own personal experience, I'll offer my opinion that it's a lot easier to get the shackles off if the whole rear end is out from under the car. Be careful and mind all of the cautions that you've read. There is a lot of energy stored in that spring. If you do remove it from the car, use C-clamps to hold that spring together.

Last edited by bruceincam; 07-04-2023 at 11:43 AM.
bruceincam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 07:55 PM   #5
Conaway2

As mentioned in post #3, it’s a good idea to have a helper with you the first time you do this. After that, you can go solo…..

Good luck - Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 08:24 PM   #6
Tom Endy

I have a cottage industry rebuilding Model A rear ends. Over the past 35 years I have heard a number of horror stories about Model A owner's being injured by the rear spring by not safely using a spring spreader.

http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-conte...ear-Spring.pdf

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 02:37 PM   #7
Benson

I do not see it mentioned above but I find it much easier to place a foot long "2 by 4" on top of EACH axle and under the spring eye before using the spreader.

The board keeps the shackle from rotating downwards and as a result you do not have to turn the nut on the spring spreader so much.

A little grease on top of the board does not hurt anything but may not be needed.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 07:04 PM   #8
Richard Knight

The 2x4 is a good idea to support the shackle. My experience with the D and E springs is that it does take a lot of effort to open the spring up.
Richard Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 10:15 PM   #9
Terry, NJ

Somewhere, sometime, somehow I'm sure that someone has been killed by one of these things. I almost lost my right leg when I used a too light (3/4" pipe, 3/4 -10 ready rod) one and the parts went flying after bending. The next one I made was 1 1/4" chrome-moly tubing and 1" threaded rod. Pics in "My other coupe (green wheels)" album. Very heavy, but effective, and safe!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
I have a cottage industry rebuilding Model A rear ends. Over the past 35 years I have heard a number of horror stories about Model A owner's being injured by the rear spring by not safely using a spring spreader.

http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-conte...ear-Spring.pdf

Tom Endy

Last edited by Terry, NJ; 07-07-2023 at 10:22 PM.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 10:22 PM   #10
Conaway2

And, in addition to what others have already mentioned, lube the threads on the spring spreader liberally. As the spreader elongates, the tension on the nuts increases quite a bit.

Good luck !
Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 04:26 AM   #11
Benson

Here is an idea that I have had for sometime to add to spreader for side thrust on the nuts:

Just need to find correct OD and ID bearing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bearing photo.jpg (25.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-08-2023, 04:34 AM   #12
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Somewhere, sometime, somehow I'm sure that someone has been killed by one of these things. I almost lost my right leg when I used a too light (3/4" pipe, 3/4 -10 ready rod) one and the parts went flying after bending. The next one I made was 1 1/4" chrome-moly tubing and 1" threaded rod. Pics in "My other coupe (green wheels)" album. Very heavy, but effective, and safe!
Terry
Another danger:

Yes many times people have under estimated the danger of applying air pressure to an AA truck tire with split rim which is not seated correctly.

In the early 70's I knew a guy who had lost most his lower jaw and upper teeth when slip ring came loose while his head was above the tire.

There are special cages and procedures to follow to do this safely.
Old 07-08-2023, 08:43 AM   #13
Ray in La Mesa

Benson: I used that style thrust washer when I built my rear spreader & it cut the resistance by a bunch.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 09:34 AM   #14
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Here is an idea that I have had for sometime to add to spreader for side thrust on the nuts:

Just need to find correct OD and ID bearing.
Good idea, thanks for posting.
Old 07-08-2023, 05:56 PM   #15
Lawrie

I play it safe when using my spreader, I made some extra clamps to be sure.
Lawrie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9D024935-61A2-418E-ACC7-3097ACC39C9B_1_201_a.jpg (68.9 KB, 57 views)
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote