Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2023, 01:52 AM   #21

Default Re: Father's Day Poll

Not a model 'A' but for my 20th Birthday I was given a 1929 DA Dodge Six, a one owner car it had a total of 62K miles on the speedo, still only has 69.5k. He bought three of my brothers a car all of which cost around 50 poundsAus, one of which was a low mileage Model A. I have had the Dodge 57 years.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:32 AM   #22
Stretch Cab

Antique cars have always been in our family so I grew up with that. My mother bought my dad a 31 Roadster for his 40th birthday and that was over 53 years ago. I still have the car along with an early 30 Rdst. PU, 36 Fordor Deluxe, Model T Depot Hack and brass era special bodied car that my grandfather built. All the cars were given to me by my dad.
As I have lived outside of the US for a lot of my adult life the cars have been in storage, but I think this is the year to get them out and running. At least I hope!
Old 06-20-2023, 07:36 AM   #23
Chuck Dempsey

Good Luck, Stretch. I get through Lexington from time to time, so I'll be on the look-out!
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 07:49 AM   #24
Ramman

I now own the 29 Tudor my Great Grandfather bought new right before the market crashed. I'm the fourth family member to be the caretaker. Has never left the family.
Ramman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 07:50 AM   #25
Ray in La Mesa

My Dad was not a car guy so I only have one picture of a '31 roadster he had.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 07:58 AM   #26
Chris in WNC

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Best thread on here in a long time.
Keep those stories coming.

I'm the first "old car" person in my family.
Bought the first Model A in 1986, have had a total of six + a 37 Plymouth, 35 Chevrolet and 59 Apache truck.

Our 22-year-old granddaughter says if I get another one it will be hers when I'm gone.......
Old 06-20-2023, 07:58 AM   #27
History

I inherited mine as my siblings weren’t interested. I think my dad would be happy I got it as I’m the history nut in the family. The car itself wasn’t that special to him, found locally and probably the correct year for his first car. I wish he had found something closer to fully restored as I’m finding out it’s expensive and time consuming to get things right. I have received an education so that’s a plus. I hope my son takes it one day and appreciates it.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 08:36 AM   #28
Keith True

My uncle went off to the marines in 1954 and parked his A in the shed.He then went to college and on to a career as a rep for Bucyrus Erie.He was here visiting in 1968 and told me he wasn't moving back here,so if I wanted that A I could have it.I was 12,and my mother had learned to drive in it,and thought I could do the same.I still have it,although it's on it's second frame and third body.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 08:48 AM   #29
Chuck Dempsey

I was 12,and my mother had learned to drive in it, and thought I could do the same. I still have it, although it's on it's second frame and third body.

Mr. True, what's left? Just the engine and axles? I'm missing something!?!
Old 06-20-2023, 08:51 AM   #30
Ramman

[QUOTE=
Our 22-year-old granddaughter says if I get another one it will be hers when I'm gone.......[/QUOTE]

I'd get another one and put it in writing that she gets her pick(s) when you pass.
Ramman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 09:06 AM   #31
chapmark256

My Dad drove with my Granddad from Hokes Bluff Alabama to almost Dothan Alabama and picked up my great grandfathers model A Tudor and dad drove it back to Hokes Bluff (250 miles) That is where I was able to inherent it in the early 90’s. I have been working it as a survivor.
chapmark256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 09:09 AM   #32
Keith True

It had been used as both the family car and tractor,so the rear of the frame had been patched a lot,so I used a different frame.The coupe body had the rumble replaced with a pickup box made in Amesbury Mass,and was used so hard the sides of the body and fender tops were ruined.I put a closed pickup cab on it.I drove it for 15 or 20 years,and the guy that used to own the cab asked me if I would sell the truck,as his grandfather had given the cab to him.I didn't want to sell the truck,because of the family thing.So he bought me a new Brookville open cab,and I gave the closed cab to him.I got a new open cab and he got his old cab back,but all painted,upholstered,trimmed,etc.I can no longer post pictures here without jumping through hoops of I would put one up.
Old 06-20-2023, 09:54 AM   #33
Chuck Dempsey

Thanks for the explanation! Not sure I could keep all of that straight in my head....
Old 06-20-2023, 11:48 AM   #34
Keith True

There's actually more to the story.My uncle was here visiting my mother about 15 years ago and she brought him over to look at my A's.He was looking at the pickup,and asked what I had done with the one had given to me.I told him,you're looking at it.He had assumed that I had done what most kids did with junk cars,attack it with some wrenches,tear it all apart,learn a little something and get rid of it.A few weeks later my mother got a package in the mail,it was the horn off that car.When he left in 1954 he took it off and stashed it away,because that would be the first thing to be stolen off A's.It's now back hanging under the same headlight bar it left the factory with.It had spent over 50 years sitting on his desk out on the west coast.
Old 06-20-2023, 12:30 PM   #35
Chuck Dempsey

Made a unique 'paper weight', for sure....
Old 06-20-2023, 01:28 PM   #36
1928Mik

Mine was purchased by my Dad in 1964. It was original but the upholstery basically broke apart with age as did the top. Then the engine had an issue so we pulled it out. By that time it needed some updating so we restored it in the 80's. After it was restored my Dad drove it for awhile, then parked it in his heated garage on jackstands with all the fluids still in it and left it. He wouldn't allow anyone to mess with it but I would sneak out to turn the motor over now and then. It sat that way for 30 yrs. He passed away in 2016 and lo and behold left it to me in his will. I got it fired up 3 months later and now our family is getting some great use out of it and my son wants the car after I'm gone...

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 02:22 PM   #37
1942deluxe

Our Model A was my father in laws. He had put my name on the title several years back. When I drove it I'd tell him I was taking my half of the Model A for a ride. He passed this January at 90 years old. I was the only one in the family that had any interest in old cars.
1942deluxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 02:23 PM   #38
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramman View Post
I now own the 29 Tudor my Great Grandfather bought new right before the market crashed. I'm the fourth family member to be the caretaker. Has never left the family.
I was telling my Dad, "think about it this car really took cars to the next level for working people back in the day. And someone had this car during The Depression". People now days have no idea what that meant.

Last edited by Gene F; 06-20-2023 at 02:28 PM.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 08:49 PM   #39
David in San Antonio

My 31 Roadster was in the prior owner's family for 65 years. The proverbial barn find in West Virginia, it had been used to deliver mail in the hills and hollers in Appalachia. The man who sold it to me was a teenager in 1957 when he and his father completely disassembled it and restored it to stock specifications. He said it was his job to dip each piece in a lye bath then scrub it with a wire brush. After some long period they figured out the lye wasn't helping anything so they dropped that step. Makes me really appreciate the amount of persistence and dogged effort in those pre-internet days. Anyway, in 1959 they drove it from Pittsburgh to Dearborn for the MARC meeting, where it won top honors. It was passed from one family member to another for 65 years.

As for my son, well he is pretty scornful of the A because it pollutes. He lusts after a Bugatti Veyron or "at least a Maybach" and I wish him best of luck in that pursuit.
Alamo A’s Club
David in San Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 09:48 PM   #40
electricman

My Dad bought his 1930 pickup being used as a prop from the front of a gas station plastered with Flying A gas stickers . That was 1956 and he paid $55 for it in not running condition. I was 5 years old at the time and remember sitting next to my grandpa as Dad towed it home using a rope. My first impression as I looked down between my feet and seeing the street go by[no floorboard] was that my Dad and Grandpa were crazy, but in a good way. Well, after going to the local wrecking yard and miking a piston from a pile Dad got it running.
Dad drove that Model A as his only transportation from then to 1971 when a friend sold him a 1969 Camaro. Now both are in my care.
electricman is offline   Reply With Quote