Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2023, 07:58 AM   #1
54FordYBlockGuy

Default Are "$ Doors Classics"

I am going to throw this out there.

I currently Co-Host a Classic Car Podcast (Street Scene Power Hour) which can be seen here locally (Ohio) on Armstrong Cable Channel 100 but also on Youtube and other Podcast formats; anyway the question came up:

"Are 4 Door Cars Classics"?

My position (not that I currently own a 54 Ford 4 Door and have owned other 4 Door Classics) was "Yes", they are considered Classic Cars, very desirable by some and even today some of the Newer "Muscle Cars" are 4 Doors; e.g. Dodge Charger.

You can even move into "5 Door Classic", such as the classic Wagons; which have become extremely popular.

So I ask the group; "Do you, would you consider a 4 Door a Classic"

Let me know
54FordYBlockGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 08:17 AM   #2
Dobie Gillis

Default Re: Are "$ Doors Classics"

Yes, they're classics. Classic status has nothing to do with the number of doors. IMHO the only determining factor is age, generally considered to be 25 years +.
Old 10-11-2023, 08:22 AM   #3
raceron1120

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54FordYBlockGuy View Post
I am going to throw this out there....
So I ask the group; "Do you, would you consider a 4 Door a Classic" Let me know
Simple answer to the question - Yes.

Question about the question - Define "Classic"?

If defined as a classic hot rod or muscle car, then I'd say No
But if defined as historically classic, then the answer might be Yes.

I've been fortunate enough to almost always have had 2 door cars, either hardtops, post, or convertibles. Nowadays if I was in the market for a "classic" car, I'd consider a 4 door but it would depend on the year, make and model.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 11:46 AM   #4
Gene F

The owners of the tri-five Chevys seem to think their 4-door cars are worth a fortune.
Gene F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 06:34 PM   #5
paul2748

In my opinion, "Classic" is probably over used. Can a four door car be a classic, yes, if it's something such as a Duesenburg (sp?). A 54 Ford (even though I own one) will never be a "classic" regardless of body style (maybe the Skyliner). A 54 Ford is considered an antique (because of age) and that is all. 55-57 Thunderbirds are considered classics but few of the later ones are even though they are old.

And price is not the determining factor either. 60's muscle cars have been bought and sold at prices that are unbelievable but I doubt any of then will make classic status

I would guess a 32 Ford is a Classic because of it's iconic stature Thru the years there are many that are considered classics but but most of the old cars are just antiques

Last edited by paul2748; 10-14-2023 at 06:41 PM.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 10:10 PM   #6
Lamar Wadsworth

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
People who don't like 4 door cars make them more affordable for those of us who do. My '55 Fairlane is a Town Sedan my parents bought new. When I get behind the wheel, I have the same steering wheel and dash in front of me and the same view through the windshield as the guy who has a Crown Victoria.
Lamar Wadsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 08:11 AM   #7
54FordYBlockGuy

Appreciate the replies and as obvious is the "difference" of opinion when it comes to "Classic Cars". I the "Car World" you have: Cassics, Vintage, Antiques, and Collectibles; all carrying different definitions and a difference in definitions among the owners and some Clubs. I guess it comes down to "what" an individual "likes". Forget the State BMVs mandates, e.g. Historical Plats etc.; if you like, enjoy your car, New or 70 years old, to you it is a "Classic". Hell, I think I, personally am somewhat of a "Classic"....and now that I think about it, I may be either a "Vintage" or "Antique".....have a great day or evening, whatever time you may be reading this.
54FordYBlockGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 09:59 AM   #8
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
The owners of the tri-five Chevys seem to think their 4-door cars are worth a fortune.
That's because they know how easy it is to convert them to an even more valuable 2 door.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 02:47 PM   #9
miker98038

Not to disagree with any of the comments above, but not all 4 doors are created equal. This is my favorite, random picture lifted from the net. Years ago, my next door neighbor had one,
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 73C15DD4-B87E-44D4-95A0-EE156238EC86.jpeg (41.9 KB, 23 views)
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 07:48 PM   #10
ventport

Classic cars are cars recognized by the A CCCA Classic is defined as a "fine" or "distinctive" automobile made in the United States or abroad between 1915 and 1948. Generally, a Classic was expensive when new and was produced in small numbers. Other variables, such as engine displacement, custom coachwork, and luxury features such as power brakes, power clutch, and "one-shot" or automatic lubrication systems, also contribute to determining whether a vehicle is classified as a Classic.
The CCCA is considered[by whom?] to have invented the term classic car, which was coined to describe the vehicles covered by the club's interest. While the term is nowadays used to describe any interesting old vehicle, many in the US consider it only properly used to describe vehicles considered eligible for the CCCA.[citation needed] This may be considered analogously to the correct usage of 'Classical music' to mean only from a specific historical period, even though many people use the term to mean any orchestral work.
A 57 Chevy is not a "Classic Car".
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 07:54 PM   #11
tobby

the term classic is over used, google the classic car club of america, and find out what a true classic is, classic cars are out of my price range....i like old fords evertone can relate to them
tobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 08:29 PM   #12
KULTULZ

Question Re: Are "$ Doors Classics"

Would a YUGO (2DR) be considered a classic if it is the WEGO (4DR) MODEL?

- WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V -

- MULTI-VEHICLE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 03:01 AM   #13
mercman from oz

miker98038's favorite Four Door a 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Town Victoria
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 04:01 AM   #14
Grumpy Rick

A better question would be "Are 4 door cars desireable?". Of course it still depends on your mindset.

Most older hot rodders (my background) prefer 2 doors by a large margin, and would not own a 4 door toy car, but some own 4 doors because of family considerations and/or cost.

My experience also suggests that adults want cars that meant something to them back in their formative years, and they want to relive the feeling.

Example: I have had about 200 cars, and right now I would jump at a chance to own a 1958 Opal. Why? My wife and I had our first date in my dad's, because my '55 Chevy (2 door) spun a bearing. That was back in 1962.
Grumpy Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 03:08 PM   #15
Gene F

Grumpy rick is right, it depends. My Dad always thinks the hotrod coupes are the best. Particularly the 3-window varieties. 33-34 Plymouth seem to be his ultimate. I have tried to explain to him, Dad it depends. And I added that the rule of thumb in a streetrod that is not a 500CID monster is "a coupe I go, a sedan we go". And that for the most part, since the streetrod is not really a race car, and more of a touring car the sedans are more desirable. However, the coupes are definetly super cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 photo 1.jpg (128.0 KB, 11 views)
Gene F is online now   Reply With Quote