Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-07-2024, 04:07 PM   #1
ampico-kid

Default Front Leaf Spring

Hello all. I've been working on my 30 Town Sedan and it seems that the front leaf spring is all sprung out. I thought I could just buy a new one and be done with it. HA HA....guess again. Apparently, there are none to be had anywhere that I've checked...and I've checked with all of the usual suspects.....Synders, Brattons, Gaslight, Berts, Mike's, CW Moss, and a few others. Anyone got a handle on a source for one of these critters? Thanks very much. Bob
ampico-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 04:29 PM   #2
Fordestes

Default Re: Front Leaf Spring

check out Eaton Detroit Spring co. you may have to wait a little while , but I find them to be a better choice over some of the E bay sellers. they can custom size the spring to suit your needs.
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 06:06 PM   #3
JayJay

Bob - I just went through this (also a 30 TS). My front spring had three broken leaves when I disassembled it.

The Eaton Detroit Model A standard duty front spring is an 8-leaf equivalent to the original standard duty 10-leaf. If your car is a driver this is the way to go. If you want a new 10-leaf standard duty front spring there are not any current suppliers. You will have to hit the swap meets, or else re-arch your original. https://files.secure.website/wscfus/...-a-springs.pdf gives a process for re-arching your originals. I followed this process last week on my front and it seems to have brought the spring right back to where it should be. Next is the rear, fortunately in much better shape.

Alternatively, you could send your spring leaves out for hot re-arching to any good spring shop (contact your local heavy truck repair shop for a referral). To do that you’ll need the original specs, which are on a print but I can’t read the print from what gets posted here.

When you reassemble don’t forget to paint the leaves with graphite paint. I got a quart from Snyder’s, I think - also available on Amazon.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 06:09 PM   #4
ampico-kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordestes View Post
check out Eaton Detroit Spring co. you may have to wait a little while , but I find them to be a better choice over some of the E bay sellers. they can custom size the spring to suit your needs.
I have them on my "short list" of places to call tomorrow. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:23 PM   #5
alexiskai

Got this last month for my phaeton and was literally sworn to secrecy regarding where.

alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 06:26 PM   #6
WHN

New springs make a big difference on how your car rides. How are your shocks?
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 06:40 PM   #7
ampico-kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Bob - I just went through this (also a 30 TS). My front spring had three broken leaves when I disassembled it.

The Eaton Detroit Model A standard duty front spring is an 8-leaf equivalent to the original standard duty 10-leaf. If your car is a driver this is the way to go. If you want a new 10-leaf standard duty front spring there are not any current suppliers. You will have to hit the swap meets, or else re-arch your original. https://files.secure.website/wscfus/...-a-springs.pdf gives a process for re-arching your originals. I followed this process last week on my front and it seems to have brought the spring right back to where it should be. Next is the rear, fortunately in much better shape.

Alternatively, you could send your spring leaves out for hot re-arching to any good spring shop (contact your local heavy truck repair shop for a referral). To do that you’ll need the original specs, which are on a print but I can’t read the print from what gets posted here.

When you reassemble don’t forget to paint the leaves with graphite paint. I got a quart from Snyder’s, I think - also available on Amazon.

Thanks for the in-depth explanation. I guess I'm not the only one who faced this problem. Trying to decide if I want to go with the 8 leaf spring or not?? My car is not a show car...it looks very nice, but there are many things about it that would not fly in a strict points competition. I guess I'm probably leaning toward the 8 leaf spring direction. The idea of re-arching the original spring is not at all appealing to me. I may check around my neck of the woods just to see if there's any place equipped to do something like re-arching. Thanks again for the input. Bob
Old 05-07-2024, 06:41 PM   #8
ampico-kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
New springs make a big difference on how your car rides. How are your shocks?
Shocks are in great shape.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:44 PM   #9
ampico-kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
Got this last month for my phaeton and was literally sworn to secrecy regarding where.

Is that a new spring? Looks like it might be a restored unit. You can PM me where you got it.....I promise not to tell anyone else.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:18 PM   #10
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampico-kid View Post
Is that a new spring? Looks like it might be a restored unit. You can PM me where you got it.....I promise not to tell anyone else.

“Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead.” — Benjamin Franklin
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 07:52 AM   #11
Keith True

I don't know if anybody is doing heat arching around here or not.The go-to spring shop near me moved to a bigger location about 20 years ago.I was in there after they moved,and noticed the gas connection to the forge wasn't plumbed up.Not even a gas line going to it.The shop manager said that they just bought everything now.It's just cost prohibitive to use the forge.The gas supply line is 3 inches in diameter,and it costs $125.to bring the forge up to temperature.Wages for the blacksmith are now $34.per hour,he went to work for an antique iron restoration shop.They told me that in the 60's they would fire that forge at 6:30 AM,the blacksmith would start pounding iron at 7.and would shut it down at 3.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 08:24 AM   #12
BrianH

I took my springs to Deaver Spring in Santa Ana California and had them re-arced.
They started out doing buggy springs in the 1800's.
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 10:07 AM   #13
ampico-kid

Thanks for the replies and helpful advice. After much thought, lots of phone calls and detective work, I've decided to go with the 8 leaf spring from Eaton Detroit. It'll take about three weeks to get it, but I'd rather go that route than try to re-arch the originals. As I mentioned earlier my car is very nice, but it's a driver and not a points conscious show car. Will let you all know how it works out when it's completed. Thanks again for the help. Bob